Gardening 2023

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had something weird happen, too. I planted a ton of sunflower seeds and went back to the location o planted them this spring- all gone. I figured chickens got into them because I forgot to shut them out of the garden.

Two Weeks later, I had dozens of sunflowers coming up in a raised bed. Something must have tucked them away there, but it had me really doubting my sanity!

Yesterday, I checked and had enough half runner beans to cook for my neighbor. Went down to garden this morning and they were gone. the plants were all completely intact so it wasn't a deer or varmint.

Am I crazy or is someone stealing my beans.
My vote would go to the desperate unprepared , suffering from Bidenonomics . This will only worsen . At this point of the spiral downward , I have my doubts even a patriotic president could save the flush . Were too for down the craper .

Finished watering and weeding the orchard and berries. We're tying the grapes up to the livestock panels we installed last week. I found a couple gopher mounds. I'll get some poison gas out later and gas the little turds.
It's hot and muggy here today, 76 degs and 32% humidity. We should be up at the lake playing on the jet ski's right now.
A little cloud blew over earlier and dropped a little rain, not enough to count though.

Getting ready to do a second planting this weekend (MAYBE).. I did put some pole beans out of greenhouse a couple weeks ago and some extra tomatoe plants and a few more bell peppers from greenhouse...the rest I've already harvested all I am going to get from tomatoes, beans, corn, etc...didn't have much corn, peas or beans this year (didn't put much out). I want to put a bunch more variety of hot pepper plants out becaus we like making hot sauce for gifts. Haven't really nailed down what else I am going to put out for second planting round. Gotta be easy managing as I don't have much time to take care of full garden and Larry no longer able. Our lettuce, we can't eat it fast enough and the chickens end up with most of it. Pulled a fred flintstone size sweet potatoe out yesterday!

Getting ready to do a second planting this weekend (MAYBE).. I did put some pole beans out of greenhouse a couple weeks ago and some extra tomatoe plants and a few more bell peppers from greenhouse...the rest I've already harvested all I am going to get from tomatoes, beans, corn, etc...didn't have much corn, peas or beans this year (didn't put much out). I want to put a bunch more variety of hot pepper plants out becaus we like making hot sauce for gifts. Haven't really nailed down what else I am going to put out for second planting round. Gotta be easy managing as I don't have much time to take care of full garden and Larry no longer able. Our lettuce, we can't eat it fast enough and the chickens end up with most of it. Pulled a fred flintstone size sweet potatoe out yesterday!
I filled in missing spots on the bean rows, cucumbers and squash. With the rain, they should sprout soon

Just ran across this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230716-051949.png
    Screenshot_20230716-051949.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I'm really discouraged about my garden.

In all the places I have gardened, I've never had such a low producing garden. I don't know if it's because I got a late start, the weather, or what. I've amended like crazy and fertilized with appropriate fertizers for each plant type.

By July at our old house, we were heavy into preserving. Right now, all I am doing is fruit and pickles.

My garden has produced minimal this year..I'm disappointed with most of what was put out...we were overun with different varieties of tomatoes this year, minimal beans, peas, potatoes, corn wasn't for sh!@@++, cukes forget about it- terrible. Even radish which we are normally covered up with and bell peppers, very minimal. I complained last year and this year was no better. Not sure what we're doing wrong. Years past we've had a good garden turn out. Mothers garden about the same. I'm debating on not bothering to do a second planting.

Everything in our garden that survived the snow and ice in June is doing great. We're getting lots of strawberries, cherries, raspberries, lettuce, herbs, and more. We had a good crop of asparagus too. Looks like we'll get a lot of grapes in another month or so too. I'm going out to water as soon as it gets light enough to look for snakes.

Oh, you have experience. Do you parboil? Some videos say to. I'm guessing you add salt. How long do you process? I'm also guessing you can in pints.
I don't parboil. I use the Mrs. Wages recipe, but I cut back the sugar. I think I half the sugar, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm sure I have it written down but can't find it.

It's processed 10 minutes.

https://www.mrswages.com/recipe/pickled-onions/
I think if I parboiled them, they'd be way too soft.

I dehydrate them and put in myler bags with oxygen absorbers..very easy to do. Going to dehydrate some more and grind into powder and put in jars for powdered onion. The dehydrated slices or chopped works fine also for soups, stews, or whatever.

I know that didn't answer your question...sorry...I've never canned onions (yet)..here is rose red video who cans walla walla onions..most of her videos I've found very helpful.

I took the lazy gardener method . I simply don't dig them up unless I need one or two . Then again these are walking onions . They are not as good tasting as the large bulbed sweet onions , but my strategy is all geared in a prepper mode for when I can't go buy a big tasty onion . Apocalypse preparations going on here .

My garden has produced minimal this year..I'm disappointed with most of what was put out...we were overun with different varieties of tomatoes this year, minimal beans, peas, potatoes, corn wasn't for sh!@@++, cukes forget about it- terrible. Even radish which we are normally covered up with and bell peppers, very minimal. I complained last year and this year was no better. Not sure what we're doing wrong. Years past we've had a good garden turn out. Mothers garden about the same. I'm debating on not bothering to do a second planting.
Lmk go ahead and plant , I think we all got pushed back by that late freeze by about a month and a half. Maybe the fall is the sweet spot this year

Latest posts

Back