Garlic ordering time for fall planting 2024

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Its time for anyone wanting garlic to plant this fall to pre order now.Filaree runs out of stuff fast...this started on 24th and already some are out of stock.

https://filareefarm.com/

i have some disease issue something another in my little garden now with garlic....i ordered some so this fall i will be planting garlic in my big garden. i dont want to use my garlic and transfer a fungus or whatever..also i think i am having issues with the black fly whatever..my mind is blank for correct name right now..

I ordered GEORGIAN FIRE garlic.
YELLOW POTATO ONION.
DUTCH RED SHALLOT.
From Filaree Farms, the Horse radish & Asparagus will not be ready until December.
Never grew Shallots so that A new one for me.
Anybody got any tips on growing shallot, I am going to treat them like onions.
Plant them six" Part & mix in some compost & blood meal, mulch to keep weeds down.

@Neb !! Thank you for posting the link to territorial seed. They are one group that isn't saying their garlic is out of stock! I'm going to order some from them.
Do some garlics do better in warmer temperature regions than others? You know that's probably true, so any suggestions for Texas garlic?

Reactions: Neb

Growing Garlic in Warmer Regions​

• Garlic growing in warm regions requires more effort and care.
  • Try different varieties to find one that works best for your area.
  • Softnecks, Creoles, Turbans & a few Purple Stripes-Available Varieties Below.
  • Plant Later, Harvest Earlier- Watch Crop Carefully
  • Vernalization- Simulate Winter by Chilling Your Garlic in Fridge for 2-3+ weeks.
  • Shipping Starts in Early September
Where to start? We recommend reaching out to your local extension office to get basic information about growing in your area. The key is to find the right variety for your soil & your microclimate. It is often a good idea to try a small amount of several different varieties to find which variety grows best in your area.

The Basics: Softneck varieties are well-adapted to warmer weather and are a great place to start. Weak-bolting hardnecks, like Creoles & Turbans, are beautiful & take the heat well. Hardneck varieties generally do not like the heat, but there are a few well-adapted Purple Stripes that southern growers have had success with.
https://keeneorganics.com/product-c...ext=The Basics: Softneck varieties are,beauti

I have grown both Soft neck & hard neck in zone 8 here in South Carolina.
Hard neck has scapes(flower buds) for anyone who likes cooking with them.

Thank you, @joel that was my next question...which does better in the heat, soft neck or hard neck, but you or the article clued me in. Do you have a favorite? I think I'd prefer a mild one but for herbal medicinal uses something strong would likely be better.

Reactions: Neb

Patchouli

GEORGIAN FIRE garlic. is my favorite right now, it is hot, but wash away with a drink.
I also have White German, German Red, & Music for the first time, just to see what they taste like.
It is like 33 flavors of ice cream, try it to see.

Back