Gold…good or bad investment?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about this post the other day. Something not talked about was time. How long is that investment going to be invested? Short term I wouldn't advise anyone to invest in either one. Long term I think both would do well with stocks having an edge. I would point out 2 things that apply to my investments: 1. I only invest in mutual funds, no individual stocks so that's where my view is from (invested for more than 35 years). 2. I only invested once in gold for 2 days & lost 10%. Had I stayed invested the outcome would probably have turned out a lot better but I had no experience in metal investing. I've stayed invested in stocks in many drops over the years but have never come close to having them drop below the amount I invested.

Oh & we are buying silver now but not because I believe in it as an investment. My wife told me that she wanted to buy silver, so we are buying silver. I don't care either way.
For me I invest for the long term. I got my first gold in the 80's when I bought a gold mine, then I started buying gold in 1 ounce rounds and 5 and 10 ounce bars. Got my first silver from my grandfather after he dug up a huge cache of Morgan silver dollars. Then in my 20's I started buying silver rounds and bars up to 100 ounce.
I personally don't like mutual funds, so I've invested in individual stocks for over 40 years now, all dividend paying stocks with the dividends being reinvested.
I've sold some gold over the past couple of years, maybe 20 ounces or so. And I recently sold a stack of Mexican silver pesos that I inherited from my dad and had no interest in.
I think it's a good idea to buy and hold silver. I'm going to buy a couple hundred dollars face value on pre 64 US silver coins, some people call it "junk" silver.
In the long run I've never lost a penny in my PM'S or my stock investments, because I never sell in a down market.

Oil and Gas industry are very good investment too
81979-waveguy.gif
<me just before JB crippled production and prices soared.
Will be watching if dividends shrink, if/when somebody says: "Drill, baby drill!".
Right now they are very tasty.
65793-Yummy.gif

You don't make bank on $1.69/gal gas. :confused:

Last edited:
81979-waveguy.gif
<me just before JB crippled production and prices soared.
Will be watching if dividends shrink, if/when somebody says: "Drill, baby drill!".
Right now they are very tasty.
65793-Yummy.gif

You don't make bank on $1.69/gal gas. :confused:
I've done good on royalty trusts before. Right now most are down, but if Trump wins and we start drilling again, I would expect to see them go up. As an example, BPT is down to $1.14 today, but just a few years ago it was $120+ per share and paid a very good dividend. I'm not suggesting that anyone go out and buy a bunch of shares in a royalty trust, but they could do very well under a Trump administration.

Gold is real money, an hard asset, better than land in some ways.
In 1971 $35.00 an zo of gold, today it is $2,600.00, that is a $2565.00 increase in 53 years.
I was a eleven in 1971, but anyone born in 1953 or before, could have bought gold.

Gold is more of a preservation of wealth rather than an investment. It's a place to park your money so that it doesn't just evaporate like fiat currency will always eventually do.....historically speaking.

I have physical PM's and have also invested my Roth IRA in PM's. I want that wealth for full retirement and not necessarily right now, so it's right where I want it. Thus far, I am wayyyyyy up in my account. Although, I am also diversified in other investments so my ship should stay afloat no matter what happens.

So yes....I like PM's for money I can't (or don't want to) use right now. However, I think that being prepared for short, medium, and long term emergencies is more important that PM's. Food, water, security, tools, etc. are what will keep you alive. PM's just keep your money from going to zero.

If Harris manages to win, then energy stocks will probably drop.
Almost guaranteed to, given democrat policies.

This will be bad for the investor who spooks easily. They will start selling their energy stocks to "get what they can, as fast as they can, before it's gone". This is a bonanza for long term investors. Because when stocks are low, that's when you buy them. Realizing that democrat policies will implode eventually (probably a short version of "eventually"), and then we'll be rich on those stocks we bought so cheaply.

We are both long term and short term investors. "Short term" as in "Day Trader". You can't get much shorter term than that. So in the short term, you make money on falling stocks by shorting them in Day Trading. And in the long term you make money on rising stocks by investing in them (holding them). You just need to know which strategy to use at what time.

Even a fool should be able to realize that energy stocks are going to dump under the democrats. They hate oil and gas and want everything electric. But things will change. Either after republicans get in in the future, or when the country turns against the dems in control for destroying the energy capabilities of our country. Either way will send energy stocks skyrocketing.

So "energy stocks will go down" does not mean "sell them". Unless of course you are shorting them. It means "prepare to buy them at low prices in a little while".

And now, a diversion into "Shorting stocks" ...

Everybody knows "Buy low, Sell high". But you can also reverse the order and "Sell high, Buy low". Which is what shorting is. With "Buy low, Sell high", you buy it, own it, sell it later (thus no longer own it), and bank the profits from the sale. With "Sell high, Buy low" you borrow it, sell it, buy it back when the price is low, then return what you borrowed, and bank the profits from the difference between what you sold it for and what you later re-bought it for. You are wanting the price to drop in this scenario. The one gotcha here is that in order to borrow the stocks you're planning on trading, you need to have enough money in your account to have bought them instead. So should your plan fail, the entity that lent you the stocks can get their money back. You are also dealing in number of shares, not cash value. You borrow ten shares and you have to return ten shares. It doesn't matter how much those ten shares cost at any given time. So if you borrow those ten shares and then their price goes UP ... oops! You have to re-buy them at the new higher price so that you can return them (there is a time limit for return that you have to meet when shorting). Shorting stocks is not for the faint of heart or the ignorant. But you can make a ton of money doing it if you're good at it.

The reason whey normal people are often times adverse to stock shorting is because large investment companies can manipulate the stock market. They're not supposed to by law, but they most certainly do. Say a large company decides to dump all their Exxon stock. They sell it off massively. This causes many investors to think, "OMG, company XXX is selling off all their Exxon stocks, They must know something that I don't know!" So Mr. individual investor dumps his Exxon stocks too. Causing the price to plunge further. Then, after causing all this havoc, that large company goes back and BUYS a ton of Exxon stock while it's dirt cheap. This reverses the previous swing, and Mr. investor tries to follow along and buy, buy, buy Exxon. The price shoots up. Now company XXX has made a massive profit simply by introducing volatility into the market. Nothing really changed during this time. Other than company XXX taking advantage of the huge amount of Exxon shares that they control to manipulate the market.

And another diversion into "Day trading" ...

Now, Mr. day trader has learned how to analyse stock charts and identify the fingerprints of market manipulation and other things that create market volatility. And he rides on the coattails of company XXX and shorts the same stocks that they are. Other factors create volatility besides market manipulation. As a day trader you might invest in Jockey straps for male chinchilla athletes. It doesn't matter how stupid of short lived the product may be. You're only going to own stock in it for a few hours or maybe a day. You're betting on the volatility of it based on your analysis - either up or down - to take advantage of a price fluctuation. You can Buy low, Sell high or you can Sell high, Buy low depending on the short term trend that you are predicting. In practice, only about 30% of day trades go the way you want them too. And that's if you are an excellent day trader. But you structure things in such a way that if you win, you win big. And if you lose, you lose small. So when 7 of your 10 trades go south and you lose $100 each (total $700 loss), but 3 of your 10 trades go as predicted and you win $300 each (total $900 win) - you had a good day. You made money. Don't agonize that you were wrong in your predictions most of the time. Doesn't matter - you came out ahead overall, and that is the goal. You use techniques called "Stoppers" to limit your losses so you don't lose big on your failed predictions.

If Harris manages to win, then energy stocks will probably drop. If that happens the defense stocks would be a good buy, because the democrats will certainly get us in to WW3.
Almost guaranteed to, given democrat policies..
I disagree.
See if you can notice when the JB 'no drill' policies kicked in:
Exxon stock:
IMG_20241022_142742.jpg

Yes, you could buy Exxon stock in the Trump years for $60/share... and I did. 😁
While people were crying about sky-high prices at the pump, they were quietly cranking up their dividends.

I disagree.
Exxon stock: <snip>
Yes, you could buy Exxon stock in the Trump years for $60/share... and I did. 😁
While people were crying about sky-high prices at the pump, they were quietly cranking up their dividends.
You think I was just blowing smoke?
Exxon Dividends:
IMG_20241022_151411.jpg
They were stalled in the Trump years. :(

I disagree.
Exxon stock:
We'll see what happens. Maybe Exxon was not the best stock for me to mention by name to make a point on volatility. I just used that because I've got a ton of Exxon stock and it's the first name that came to mind in the energy arena. Good growth, good dividends - I'm certainly not going to complain. I've had it for about 20 years now. It's just below an all time high at the moment, so maybe not the best time to buy it - but that's subject to analysis. Exxon is not one that I analyse. Mine came from an unexpected inheritance and I've just been sitting on it since then. With very good results I might add. Since inheriting this from an aunt, I've found out that our entire family is heavily into Exxon stocks. Probably because one of my aunts used to work there (not the one who left it to me however - that Exxon aunt left cash instead). So it's kind of a family tradition to own Exxon stock. And so far, it's been a very good tradition. No need for me to question holding it. I am "invested" in Exxon stock, I'm not "day trading" it.

We'll see what happens. Maybe Exxon was not the best stock for me to mention by name to make a point on volatility. I just used that because I've got a ton of Exxon stock and it's the first name that came to mind in the energy arena. Good growth, good dividends - I'm certainly not going to complain. I've had it for about 20 years now. It's just below an all time high at the moment, so maybe not the best time to buy it - but that's subject to analysis. Exxon is not one that I analyse. Mine came from an unexpected inheritance and I've just been sitting on it since then. With very good results I might add. Since inheriting this from an aunt, I've found out that our entire family is heavily into Exxon stocks. Probably because one of my aunts used to work there (not the one who left it to me however - that Exxon aunt left cash instead). So it's kind of a family tradition to own Exxon stock. And so far, it's been a very good tradition. No need for me to question holding it. I am "invested" in Exxon stock, I'm not "day trading" it.
Well, on the flip-side it bears watching...
If Trump removes the ropes and floods the markets with cheap gas, prices will plunge, and the 'big-money' days will be over😩.

Gold is up maybe 35% this year trading at record levels. Some pundits are saying that $3k/oz. That is 10% from todays price.

Silver tripling golds growth lately. It is below previous highs of near $50/oz. If silvers climbs to it's previous high that would be a gain of over 30%. Silver is being used in solar panels.

Ben

Well, on the flip-side it bears watching...
If Trump removes the ropes and floods the markets with cheap gas, prices will plunge, and the 'big-money' days will be over😩.
There will probably be a little time between Trump pursuing this and the stock actually crashing. I predict a warning dip and then a brief wait-and-see period before the actual plunge. So think ahead, and be ready to either sell your holdings or short petroleum/gas stocks at the appropriate time. A killing could be made here if you successfully short things. You wouldn't need to worry about big-money days in the future because you'd be so loaded with the cash that you no longer need to care! Or you could end up a pauper because you tried to jump into something that you don't understand - this is my warning caveat for those who think I'm giving financial advice here. I'm not - I'm just making an observation and mulling over what options I might personally consider. You best option can change day to day, so don't make a plan and blindly stick with it without ongoing analysis.

- this is my warning caveat for those who think I'm giving financial advice here. I'm not - I'm just making an observation and mulling over what options I might personally consider. You best option can change day to day, so don't make a plan and blindly stick with it without ongoing analysis.
I too am certainly not giving financial advice. I quote info that is available online to everyone.
On topic: gold is probably the most stable 'cushion' to allow you to sleep an night when markets bounce up and down.
So, how does someone sleep good at night with no gold?
Counterbalances.
When stock 'A' goes down, stock 'B' goes up. Like a seesaw, the reverse is also true, so you can always be happy that one went up. :)
Finding these takes a lot of research, but they are out there.:thumbs:

I once worked for ExxonMobil, Chevron Texaco, BP, Agip, PFD and a couple other oil companies in an executive managment position. I did very well on all of these stocks because I had a little knowledge of discoveries and other pertinent information.
Several of these companies started moving away from oil and gas exploration and production to "green energy" BS. They have since seen the silliness in solar and wind farms and have gone back to doing what they do best, drilling for oil. I really think they just ran out tax payer funded projects. Bottom line is, energy stocks can be a good investment going forward, but they can also be very volatile depending on who our next president is and the world situation.

Latest posts

Back