Gold…good or bad investment?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about this post the other day. Something not talked about was time. How long is that investment going to be invested? Short term I wouldn't advise anyone to invest in either one. Long term I think both would do well with stocks having an edge. I would point out 2 things that apply to my investments: 1. I only invest in mutual funds, no individual stocks so that's where my view is from (invested for more than 35 years). 2. I only invested once in gold for 2 days & lost 10%. Had I stayed invested the outcome would probably have turned out a lot better but I had no experience in metal investing. I've stayed invested in stocks in many drops over the years but have never come close to having them drop below the amount I invested.

Oh & we are buying silver now but not because I believe in it as an investment. My wife told me that she wanted to buy silver, so we are buying silver. I don't care either way.
For me I invest for the long term. I got my first gold in the 80's when I bought a gold mine, then I started buying gold in 1 ounce rounds and 5 and 10 ounce bars. Got my first silver from my grandfather after he dug up a huge cache of Morgan silver dollars. Then in my 20's I started buying silver rounds and bars up to 100 ounce.
I personally don't like mutual funds, so I've invested in individual stocks for over 40 years now, all dividend paying stocks with the dividends being reinvested.
I've sold some gold over the past couple of years, maybe 20 ounces or so. And I recently sold a stack of Mexican silver pesos that I inherited from my dad and had no interest in.
I think it's a good idea to buy and hold silver. I'm going to buy a couple hundred dollars face value on pre 64 US silver coins, some people call it "junk" silver.
In the long run I've never lost a penny in my PM'S or my stock investments, because I never sell in a down market.

Oil and Gas industry are very good investment too
81979-waveguy.gif
<me just before JB crippled production and prices soared.
Will be watching if dividends shrink, if/when somebody says: "Drill, baby drill!".
Right now they are very tasty.
65793-Yummy.gif

You don't make bank on $1.69/gal gas. :confused:

Last edited:
81979-waveguy.gif
<me just before JB crippled production and prices soared.
Will be watching if dividends shrink, if/when somebody says: "Drill, baby drill!".
Right now they are very tasty.
65793-Yummy.gif

You don't make bank on $1.69/gal gas. :confused:
I've done good on royalty trusts before. Right now most are down, but if Trump wins and we start drilling again, I would expect to see them go up. As an example, BPT is down to $1.14 today, but just a few years ago it was $120+ per share and paid a very good dividend. I'm not suggesting that anyone go out and buy a bunch of shares in a royalty trust, but they could do very well under a Trump administration.

Latest posts

Back