Hot Stick Recommendations

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have a hot stick I bought after a big bull put me in the hospital years ago. It’s a Jolt with a 30” wand. In the 15years since I’ve only used it twice. Don’t like using them but they do have a place on a farm. Yesterday I dug it out of the shop and cleaned it up, put new batteries in it, seems in good working order. The ground is super dry right now. Except for hurricane francine I’ve had almost no rain in 10weeks. In my experience hot sticks don’t work well when the ground is this dry. So I can’t really test it til winter rains start.

In the mean time I posted in another thread the steer I have is becoming a problem. I’m mainly worried about dad. He’s 90 and doesn’t belong anywhere near cattle. But that doesn’t mean he understands that and I can’t watch him every moment.

The Jolt is too long, best suited for moving cattle through a loading chute. I need something much shorter, think ‘get off me gun’. Something dad can easily carry if for some reason he decides to go near that steer. Or I can carry this winter when the muck in the holding pen gets deep. You can’t run in knee deep muck. I’m worried that steer might act-a-fool when I feed him in the evenings and I’m no spring chicken either.

Anyone have recommendations? I saw something online last night called a “Power-Mite”. Less than a foot long with a wrist strap. The size seems about right. Anyone have experience with them?

I have a hot stick I bought after a big bull put me in the hospital years ago. It’s a Jolt with a 30” wand. In the 15years since I’ve only used it twice. Don’t like using them but they do have a place on a farm. Yesterday I dug it out of the shop and cleaned it up, put new batteries in it, seems in good working order. The ground is super dry right now. Except for hurricane francine I’ve had almost no rain in 10weeks. In my experience hot sticks don’t work well when the ground is this dry. So I can’t really test it til winter rains start.

In the mean time I posted in another thread the steer I have is becoming a problem. I’m mainly worried about dad. He’s 90 and doesn’t belong anywhere near cattle. But that doesn’t mean he understands that and I can’t watch him every moment.

The Jolt is too long, best suited for moving cattle through a loading chute. I need something much shorter, think ‘get off me gun’. Something dad can easily carry if for some reason he decides to go near that steer. Or I can carry this winter when the muck in the holding pen gets deep. You can’t run in knee deep muck. I’m worried that steer might act-a-fool when I feed him in the evenings and I’m no spring chicken either.

Anyone have recommendations? I saw something online last night called a “Power-Mite”. Less than a foot long with a wrist strap. The size seems about right. Anyone have experience with them?
I don’t, but that is exactly what I was thinking when I was reading why you wanted it. I’ve only used the longer ones.

Latest posts

Back