Hello from NW FL

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadeen Wincapaw

Friend
Neighbor
Just moved to the panhandle after purchasing 50 acres near Crestview. Getting ready to build and have no idea how to begin and navigate the "farm" set-up. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Some questions we have:
  • Should we form a business? If so, what structure should we use?
  • We have a stream running through the land, who do we talk to about mitigating the erosion taking place?
  • What restrictions are in place on clearing, building, etc.?
  • What needs permitting and what doesn't?
  • Are there govt assistance programs we should take advantage?
  • What state, county, and federal agencies will need to be consulted?
  • How do we declare the land as a farm?
  • Any tax breaks we need to do something special to take advantage of?
  • What permissions do I need for water management?
I don't know what I don't know, so if I'm missing anything, tell me...

Looking forward to robust discussions and picking everyone's brain!

howdy and welcome. it is a wonderful and challenging journey. each state is a bit different in laws and programs, do a deep dive into Fla regulations and possible programs. to me,the most important things are water availavbility, how deep is water table and testying and paying off my place asap.
best wishes on your new chapter in life, hope all your dreams come true.

Just moved to the panhandle after purchasing 50 acres near Crestview. Getting ready to build and have no idea how to begin and navigate the "farm" set-up. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Some questions we have:
  • Should we form a business? If so, what structure should we use?
  • We have a stream running through the land, who do we talk to about mitigating the erosion taking place?
  • What restrictions are in place on clearing, building, etc.?
  • What needs permitting and what doesn't?
  • Are there govt assistance programs we should take advantage?
  • What state, county, and federal agencies will need to be consulted?
  • How do we declare the land as a farm?
  • Any tax breaks we need to do something special to take advantage of?
  • What permissions do I need for water management?
I don't know what I don't know, so if I'm missing anything, tell me...

Looking forward to robust discussions and picking everyone's brain!
The county I live in in Texas is an excellent source of information! Here we deal with pipelines, power lines, etc.! My newish neighbors to my north are right out of the city. I told them to call the county with questions, they are always helpful and at least will point you in the right direction! Definitely talk to others who have lived in your area for a while!

Welcome from rural NE Florida.
Some of your questions can be answered by knowing what your property is zoned as.
We are OR. Open rural.
As far as permitting, zoning and such in Florida that is all handled by your county.

I would start at your county’s agricultural department, and let them guide you from there. Sooner or later you’ll end up in the county zoning department.
I can’t remember which department I had to go thru to pull my own permits to build my barns and sheds.

Be advised, don’t try to build anything without seeing first if you need a permit. Some things you do, some things you don’t. I’ve had planning & zoning sit in his pickup on the road out front and put all sorts of information into his laptop. Chicken coops, horse stables, everything done with range finder and gps. (I went out and asked him).

:welcome: Greetings from just west of Lake Superior...
Homesteading, farming, independent living is easy.. Just accomplish one small success at a time.. No one has done it all at once.. Most importantly, enjoy each success..

Welcome from Alabama!

Nadeen Wincapaw:​

I wrote a long answer to several of your questions yesterday evening.
However it looks like this website had to go to another backup and my posting was lost.

I don't have time to rewrite that post this morning.

I live 20 miles West of Crestview.
By training I was a CPA and Paralegal.
We did what you are about to do.

Before I can give you advice we really need to talk about your particular goals.
I will freely help you.
[email protected] Jim

Latest posts

Back