Home Schooling

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a website that sells old textbooks. My daughter is using some books I learned with and some much older. They have textbooks and teachers Editions if you want them, just tell them the time frame you want, which subject and what grade. My order was $50 for this year.

Link, please.

I was wondering if any of the homeschoolers here could give me their opinions on the Learn at Home or Oak Meadow curriculums.

I was wondering if any of the homeschoolers here could give me their opinions on the Learn at Home or Oak Meadow curriculums.
I'm not familiar with Learn at Home but did use Oak Meadow for one year with one child, that was quite a few years ago. It is similar to Waldorf and you can read about that here: https://oakmeadow.com/resources/oak-meadow-and-waldorf/
If you have limited resources ($), you'll find that Oak Meadow is expensive. If you are a strict conservative Christian, you may not like it. Some consider it akin to witchcraft or paganism, but I did not see any similarities. But I'm not a witch or a pagan so I wouldn't know.
There is a lot of focus on nature, a relaxed approach to language arts and science, and lots of art projects. They include learning about American history and how government is set up. Just too much stuff to go into.
There is a syllabus for each grade level, giving instruction on what to do for the day in each subject. I thought the math was just so-so for elementary. You can look over the materials, books, and art supplies that are included for each grade online and I used some of their suggested reading materials for each grade. Most of it was older stories, like the Burgess books, which are hard to find.
For the high school grades, your student has a mentor/teacher they keep in touch with at the school and that person grades their work, not you, as far as I recall from the last time I looked at their website. It's been a few years though. It is fairly independent work by then.
If I could have, I would have used Oak Meadow for two or three of my kids, but not all, due to different learning styles and preferences.
Edited to clarify: "...they keep in touch with the school (meaning Oak Meadow) and that person..."

Back