How Americans preserved British English

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Certain parts of the U.S was settled by different groups like the Mid South NC , KY , TN, AL , MS were heavy in Walesh , Irish, and what many called Scots Irish that were actually Highlanders also some areas were settled by Swiss and some German . The Mid West parts of the U.S drew alot of Swiss, Czech , German , Dutch along with all the Brits . Of course there is exceptions to all but for a quick glimpse thats what history shows .

Not so much a melting pot as in the pioneer days various groups still stayed together and brought their customs with Them these groups would become communities and trade routes became roads as time went on the communities blended . The Country as a whole still shows signs of the founding pioneers and history . Modern travel (last 70 years or so) has changed much of that especially in densely populated areas . In most rural areas alot of the Families still know when their Family came to that area and where They came from .

same as in England, my family has been in the same area for centuries, plenty of people here with my surname and we're all related if you go back far enough.

Go back far enough and I'm probably related to half of England, Ireland and Scotland, if not more.

We have three different ancestral lines going back to the Plantagenets, two on my father's side and one on my mother's side. So my mother and father were "distant cousins" :)

Last edited:
(tongue slightly in cheek)
I don't think Britain has the claim to the "English" Language. The USA has taken up the torch & carries it now. With all due respect.

Since 1945. (can I hear a rim shot?)

I wanted to separate this part. I think England led the whole world a couple of centuries ago. In the sense of spreading stability, reasonable governance, advancement. Many people hate that they 'colonized' much of the world. But their efforts did bring education, communication, opportunity, and all sorts of advancements to the colonies. Yes, many people died. But look even at the US colonies. Britain had the power to sweep through & slaughter the US colonists. But they went with moderation. They had their battles, decided to withdraw and let the USA become a nation. Vengence could have been ugly.

But in the past century, the USA has clearly taken those reins. We're not perfect, but the US had done tremendous things for the entire globe.

Much of Oregon and Washington (Oregon territory) was ruled by Britain, the Hudson's Bay Company in Vancouver Washington was the largest trading post with fur being it's largest trading commodity fur brought in by French, German and American fur traders, We have a big German and English influence here, many cities, mountains and buildings here are named after British Officers, Mt. Hood, Adams and St. Helen's were named by the British. In fact, the young Captain George Picket (famed Pickett's Charge Civil War) challenge the British at Fort Bellingham (Pickett commanded the construction of Fort Bellingham) today known as Bellingham Washington in what is known as the Pig War of 1859. He left Washington to join the Confederacy.

I wanted to separate this part. I think England led the whole world a couple of centuries ago. In the sense of spreading stability, reasonable governance, advancement. Many people hate that they 'colonized' much of the world. But their efforts did bring education, communication, opportunity, and all sorts of advancements to the colonies. Yes, many people died. But look even at the US colonies. Britain had the power to sweep through & slaughter the US colonists. But they went with moderation. They had their battles, decided to withdraw and let the USA become a nation. Vengence could have been ugly.

But in the past century, the USA has clearly taken those reins. We're not perfect, but the US had done tremendous things for the entire globe.
bsflagis all I have to say, England has been a nation since the only Americans had feathers in their hair.
the American government has interfered in the affairs of many sovereign nations in the world usually when they didn't like who was in charge, and they are still doing it in places like Syria and usually not to their credit.
as for the English language, America hasn't preserved it, more like massacred it!!:p

Last edited:
bsflagis all I have to say, England has been a nation since the only Americans had feathers in their hair.
the American government has interfered in the affairs of many sovereign nations in the world usually when they didn't like who was in charge, and they are still doing it in places like Syria and usually not to their credit.

As I said, the US isn't perfect. And it took the hearty blood of our European ancestors to make the US the gentle powerhouse that it is. But I don't know how many Brits were complaining when we saved them not once, but twice in the past century. I said previously since 1945, my error... I should have said 1918. 100 years!

And in all honesty, I should add another 100+ years to that. Do a little research on the "Barbary Coast", the US formed our Marines specifically to address the muslim pirates that dominated European oceans until the US took them on. BTW, the term "Leatherneck" comes from those battles, our Marines wore leather straps around their necks because the muslims would try to hack their heads off.

And Europe could really use Trump's help right now, for the 3rd time in 100 years. The muslim invasion the past few years has devastated the continent, but the gov'ts there wouldn't welcome our soldiers (sadly).

as for the English language, America hasn't preserved it, more like massacred it!!:p

Well I can't really argue that point. Not that it didn't have lots of difficult peculiarities before. But yup, definitely guilty as charged. And if you heard inner-city 'english', you'd cry (or laugh). I've had more than one incident where I literally could not understand inner-city young adults even after they repeated themselves 4 times (usually ordering fast food). But I'll credit the democrats for that! (Obama did that!) Of course, I've had similar difficulties with some Scottish friends, so... not sure who's doing more damage!

Let me propose a toast: may both our nations and our peoples stop torturing our common language!

America didn't "save" Britain in either wars, that's an American fallacy, certainly not in WW2, America didn't join the war until 1941 after Japan bombed Pearl Harbour by which time The Battle of Britain was all over, American certainly saved Europe with the help of Britain and quite a few other nations and nationalities (well it was a WORLD war).by the way the Russians lost more soldiers than the rest of "the allies" put together.
sorry, i'm a patriotic ENGLISHman and i'm proud of my country despite the rubbish politicians we have these days.
as for language I think it was Winston Churchill that said "2 countries DIVIDED by a common language"!!

Last edited:
There is a quiz, I can't remember where I found it years ago, but you answered questions about the words that you use and it can determine if you are more Northern or Southern. I remember it had the word "pail" versus "bucket", bucket was southern and pail was northern. In any case I was more southern by a tad. Many of the northern words were more older English type words. Do you say creek or stream?

stream in my current location, but where I used to live we had a creek, so I've used both.

I don't think you can call it "British English" if you live in America, surely its "American English"?

There is a quiz, I can't remember where I found it years ago, but you answered questions about the words that you use and it can determine if you are more Northern or Southern. I remember it had the word "pail" versus "bucket", bucket was southern and pail was northern. In any case I was more southern by a tad. Many of the northern words were more older English type words. Do you say creek or stream?

You forgot brook ;) They were fairly distinguished in names in the older days, when I was a kid I was told the differences by my German uncles, brook you step over, a creek you jump over, a stream you wade through, a river you ferry over. Today however brook, creek and stream are blurred, like a lot of words that used to have independent meaning are now conflated.

Many parts of Northern U.S. had more "foreign" influence than the South. Germans, Dutch, Scandinavian, etc. We still retain some English words in the South that Yankees never use. "Reckon" for example.

There was a movement at one time to get Southerners to retain original British spellings like colour, etc. Because the spelling simplification was a "Yankee thing."

Also, there was once a large segment of middle to upper class Southerners who were non-rhotic and swallow their ng's ("Dahlin', what time ah we eatin' dinnuh?"). That is dying out.

Last edited:
Many parts of Northern U.S. had more foreign influence than the South. Germans, Dutch, Scandinavian, etc. We still retain some English words in the South that Yankees never use. "Reckon" for example.

There was a movement at one time to get Southerners to retain original British spellings like colour, etc. Because the spelling simplification was a "Yankee thing."

Also, there was once a large segment of middle to upper class Southerners who were non-rhotic and swallow their ng's ("Dahlin', what time ah we eatin' dinnuh?"). That is dying out.

I remember going from a Texas to a Washington school using 'ain't' in my vocabulary and getting schooled on proper English from the Teacher, the Washington Teacher telling me there is no such word 'ain't' That was a habit I couldn't break, there were other words I got called out on here in the North.

LOL, when people would tell me "ain't" wasn't a word, I'd whip out Webster's Collegiate Dictionary and turn to page 25...
ukCSaK1.png

Back