I got bit by a Copperhead!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ There's no drool emoji! We are going to have to have a chat with the emoji people!!๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜ฎ
50723-drool.gif
Says who? :waiting:
50723-drool.gif

Pearl, thanks for posting about this- it takes alot of inner strength to handle things of this level on your own. I'm not knocking anyone who would choose to go to the hospital- but it speaks greatly about your skills, knowledge and mental fortitude that you handled this on your own and were gracious enough to share your experiences with the rest of us.

Well done, and hopelyfully no more snakebites in the future!

Pearl, thanks for posting about this- it takes alot of inner strength to handle things of this level on your own. I'm not knocking anyone who would choose to go to the hospital- but it speaks greatly about your skills, knowledge and mental fortitude that you handled this on your own and were gracious enough to share your experiences with the rest of us.

Well done, and hopelyfully no more snakebites in the future!
Many of my dogs over the years have been bitten by copperheads, I basically did for myself what I do for them! I also know a few people who have been bit. One guy went to the ER only to get Tramadol and Prednisone and be 'monitored' until the initial swelling stopped, tens of thousands of dollars later!! Another gal I know has been bitten several times, she does nothing but tough it out!! I only know one woman who got anti venom, she went to THREE hospitals to make sure she got it๐Ÿ™„, and over 100,000$ wasted!! I will be spreading the granular sulphur extra heavy around the house, sheds, and pool this spring and summer!!

I was bitten by a black widow once and had mild flu like symptoms for about 24 hours. The next time a black widow bit me I had no symptoms. I figure I built up an immunity to the venom. I wonder if it's the same thing with copperhead and other venoms.

When I lived in California, some buddies and I liked to walk around in the desert and kill rattlesnakes but I was never bitten by one.

I was bitten by a black widow once and had mild flu like symptoms for about 24 hours. The next time a black widow bit me I had no symptoms. I figure I built up an immunity to the venom. I wonder if it's the same thing with copperhead and other venoms.

When I lived in California, some buddies and I liked to walk around in the desert and kill rattlesnakes but I was never bitten by one.
My black widow bite was horrible! Hard to breathe, broke out in hives, definate flu like symptoms!! But yes, I feel the first bites work as an anti venom!!

I've used plant medicine on snake bites before. I know which plants work and why. (treated my own brown recluse bites too!) Plants would have greatly sped up your recovery, especially Sida. Wish i'd have been close by..

But i admire your courage! Taking your care into your own hands is a bridge too far for most. Recognizing that big pharma is killing us all is one thing. But the world of alternative medicine is a much bigger step that most never take! I made that step long ago and am the better for it.

You go girl!!!

That's what is in our snakebite kits! In case of a serious snakebite it's one Benadryl, one Tramadol, one Prednisone right away, dog or human! I took Loratadine (Claritin) because I don't like Benadryl. Took a Prednisone later, it helped a lot, no Tramadol!
I think that Benadryl is the only one that does not require a prescription. I'm wondering if I can get prescriptions from my medical people by telling them it is for my first aid kit?

I think that Benadryl is the only one that does not require a prescription. I'm wondering if I can get prescriptions from my medical people by telling them it is for my first aid kit?
That really depends on your doctor and your relationship. It should be easier if you are willing to pay up front and not run it through your insurance. I recently needed antibiotics and it was so cheap that I paid less than my standard copay. Buying the drugs that are out of patent could be an option. If you have a patented prescription ask your doctor if there is an out of patent drug that will work. Keep your current prescription but get the out of patent drug and stash it for the time when you have no option. Keeping snake bite drugs, with a history of snake bites, should be an easy sell. Think your arguements through before you ask for any drugs. If you want a schedule two drug, forget it, the doc could loose his license.

That really depends on your doctor and your relationship. It should be easier if you are willing to pay up front and not run it through your insurance. I recently needed antibiotics and it was so cheap that I paid less than my standard copay. Buying the drugs that are out of patent could be an option. If you have a patented prescription ask your doctor if there is an out of patent drug that will work. Keep your current prescription but get the out of patent drug and stash it for the time when you have no option. Keeping snake bite drugs, with a history of snake bites, should be an easy sell. Think your arguements through before you ask for any drugs. If you want a schedule two drug, forget it, the doc could loose his license.
Also schedule lll-lV wonโ€™t be an option. All controlled substance prescriptions are recorded in state PMP system. That system has nothing to do with insuranceโ€”itโ€™s pharmacy reported.

Also schedule lll-lV wonโ€™t be an option. All controlled substance prescriptions are recorded in state PMP system. That system has nothing to do with insuranceโ€”itโ€™s pharmacy reported.
"Tramadol is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a pain relief medication, specifically indicated for moderate-to-severe pain. Since July 2014, the FDA has classified tramadol as a class IV controlled substance due to its potential for misuse and addiction."

So Tramadol would probably be really difficult to get.

"Tramadol is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a pain relief medication, specifically indicated for moderate-to-severe pain. Since July 2014, the FDA has classified tramadol as a class IV controlled substance due to its potential for misuse and addiction."

So Tramadol would probably be really difficult to get.
Yes it would. Also different states have different schedules. The most stringent is what applies. Gabapentin is not on the federal schedule but is in some states, like Michigan, and the more stringent has the final say.

Picture of my leg coming soon! Happened about an hour ago! Large male, I jumped back fast enough so as the fangs didn't make full contact! Got hit above the ankle. Red swollen leg, VERY painful at bite. Feel kind of numb all over and not quite right!! Updates as the evening unfolds! I will be ok!
Prayers for your quick and smooth recovery.

Latest posts

Back