I know absolutely nothing about Leather working.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moboo ya auta get on line and paaruse around some of the leather supply houses and compare the shape and type of your "forks" for the reason that do ya have "pricking irons" or "stitching irons" .
On thin leather they can cross over in their functions...by that I mean they can both punch a hole thru, on thick stiff stuff I would not recommend using a prickin iron except for marking where you want to poke the lace or stitch hole with another tool(don't worry we all figger out how to make a lot of our own tools, dem store bought things are cheap and expensive!)
OH BTW. I have found that using any type of iron above a 4 tine is a waste of effort and the force needed to punch thru will bend the tines, bend the shaft or mushroom the shaft head.
Thank you for the information.

IMG_0634.jpeg

#1. Is a groomer, The edge of the center piece follows the contour of the leather
The arm looking thing is the groover
Set it at 1/4" from the edge to the center of the arm
Now drag it along the contour of your leather and the arm will cut a grove

Now both pieces of leather have a channel in the EXACT same place

Next
Find a corner. This is your starting point
In the corner where 2 grove lines intersect
Place your 6 time chisel in the intrrsection
Hit it
Now move your chisel and set it down with the first time in the last hole
Do this every time
So what you have is a 6 tine chisel that makes 5 holes each time

Now, listen up, count the holes. Using a 6 tine you count by 5s
So. You have 18 holes (example) then a turn. You used your chisel 3 times
That is 15, Back the chisel up and repunch 3 to reach the corner
On the exact same thing to the piec of leather that is going to be sewn togather
Turn corner, punch holes to next corner
Count holes
Punch other piece same same

#2 looks to be a set tool need to se end to tell you what it sets

#3 is a speedy stitcher
I will find you a video

#4 the little round thing is an anvil. For setting rivets and snaps

If a stitching pony is several pieces of wood.
One of those pieces is steamed bent , bolted between two other upright post, attached to flat piece of wood.
Then the answer is no, I have seen pictures of them but that's about all.
I have some waxed thread, black, beige,cream,white.
Also have needles in various sizes.
I know how to do a whip stitch, V stitch, but not sure about buck stitch.

If a stitching pony is several pieces of wood.
One of those pieces is steamed bent , bolted between two other upright post, attached to flat piece of wood.
Then the answer is no, I have seen pictures of them but that's about all.
I have some waxed thread, black, beige,cream,white.
Also have needles in various sizes.
I know how to do a whip stitch, V stitch, but not sure about buck stitch.
Buckstitch is supposed to be the strongest stitch there is
Basically you put a needle on both ends of the thread then you go down through the hole to the middle of the thread take the top needle over to the next hole down the bottom needle goes to the same hole the top came through and goes up if you use a diamond chisel this is a beautiful stitch the secret to the stitch is you do the same thing over and over exactly the same thing when you take the topstitch and go down you pull it back towards where you came from now the thread is on one end of the chisel hole or diamond hole however you want to say it. You take the bottom thread up missing the top three – why you grab the thread and pull it to one side so that you can bring the other one up
It is not as complicated as it sounds I will make you a video

Latest posts

Back