I know absolutely nothing about Leather working.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This morning I received a call about leather working kit and kaboodle.
So I drive over to friends house.
She gives me 25 pounds of various colors and sizes of untouched leather.
10 pounds of what she calls scraps leather pieces.
I do believe I will call them practice pieces.
All the tools, stamps,anvil, hammers, punches, rollers, various colors of lacing too.
Rivets, snaps,all kinds of stuff.
Pretty sure I will be asking questions in the future.

All the tools, stamps,anvil, hammers, punches, rollers, various colors of lacing too.
I think @Frodo is our go-to guy for that.
You can make stuff that sells for good money. :thumbs:
Frodo fixed me up with good stuff! :D
Used every day, over a year later, still perfect.

Last edited:
I am super novice but do love it also - just need another me in order to have time for all I want to do.
On YT, Corter Leather is a good channel to learn from (my opinion). They explain things in easy terms and doable steps.

I think @Frodo is our go-to guy for that.
You can make stuff that sells for good money. :thumbs:
Frodo fixed me up with good stuff! :D
Used every day, over a year later, still perfect.
I already have an order for 22 gun holster.
But I know nothing about leather work.
So I'm thinking about all those "scraps" pieces and making key holders and fobs I think that's what they're called.
Just received and order for leather back earrings with peacock feathers, but I know nothing about leather.
So it's time to take a fun class for school, last class was a little bit intense,"Collecting Trace Evidence off a Body".
Thinking leather working and basic carpentry are on the agenda.

@MoBookworm1957
You scored !! I would love to talk leather with you
Instead of typing ,a phone call would be excellent.

Your first project
https://www.leather-patterns.com/_files/ugd/537b6e_09e9f4e6468d48f7be055d61b1bacec9.pdf

Pictures of the tools?
Looking for chisels for making holes for thread.

Adjust size of copy on your printer so the box on the first sheet is 2" x2"

Now your copy will be correct

Cut out pattern. Leaving 1/2" of paper outside the lines

Use masking tape to stick to your leather
You can see the lines through masking tape Punch out the holes with a 1. Mm hole punch. Then ccut the leather on the line
Use contact cement to secure pieces together. And sew

Using 1 mm thread and 2 needles. Buckvstitch

@MoBookworm1957
You scored !! I would love to talk leather with you
Instead of typing ,a phone call would be excellent.

Your first project
https://www.leather-patterns.com/_files/ugd/537b6e_09e9f4e6468d48f7be055d61b1bacec9.pdf

Pictures of the tools?
Looking for chisels for making holes for thread.
Frodo,
I still have your card from when you made Reign's baby shoes.
If it's alright with you, I would to pass your name and phone number on to the gentleman who wants the holster made?
Just so you know he kinda makes me uneasy, creeps me out.
And I don't get creeped out easily.
But I don't give out people's information without checking with them first.
I am going to library on Wednesday for simple leather working book and patterns.

1717352046729.png
https://tandyleather.com/

I'm also looking at doing leather work too. Looking for a fur sewing machine to make things out of my furs.
There was a gentleman in KCMO, who had a Industrial sewing machine for sewing pelts?
He has since passed, but his children are selling his Industrial sewing machine and shop equipment.
I think the machine is heavy( it took 4 grown men to move it)a treadle machine, but as he got older he adapted it to fit his physical needs and added a motor.This gentleman did costumes for Reenactment events, but he wouldn't expand his wares. I would love to have his cobbler's bench and tools but I wouldn't know what to do with it, or where to put it.
Craiglist/KCMO , they're having a auction for his estate in 3 weeks.

Leather work is beautiful. My Uncle, who was a true horseman, also worked for TANDY Leather as a salesman. He was a professional leather man, as a young boy he was one my favorite people and still is. I use to watch him do leather work and he would make anything and everything from gun holsters, purses and wallets, and some of the most beautiful horse saddles I have ever seen. Yes it is addictive, but a very satisfying hobby. Once again, the proper tools and patience is the key to making great leather pieces.

I sent pictures of my leather working kit and kaboodle to Frodo this morning.
Took it all outside to take pictures, better light.
He'll get back with me later.
Hopefully there will be no saddles in my future.
And if there is I am pretty sure Barbie's name will be attached somewhere.
Going to start very small projects, key fobs(?) and coin purses, maybe earrings.
I think I made earrings back in high school many moons ago.
There is a Tandy Store in Kansas City Mo up near Harbor Freight that I might check out.
After I talk to Frodo.

I bought a setup a few months ago from the family of a gentleman who had to go into assisted living.
There are still tools and bangles that I have not used yet! In this leather bound world there is so much to explore , processes styles and patterns that will have you chasing your tail.
Of all the "tools" I purchased in that sale the most used item to my surprise is the granite setting block! 12in long 6in wide 3in thick..

In my leather world it looks like my design on a minimalist style wallet is takin off, with just two weekends of exposure at a local craft fair that is only open Saturday mornings I have sold all but one(started with 8). I have two that have prepaid with shipping. One is going to Maryland.
BTW the DW has sold one at her work.
Repair work seems to be a thing also.gotta be picky there.
I still hafta get going on a water buffalo mystery braid belt..wait a sec, make that two.
Oh dang it, I need to replace some purse locks, some belt loop key ring holders, RFID cards......
Hey Frodo! Ya wanta come over and help me get caught up? I'll give ya a meal and a beer..... Ok two beers.

In my leather world it looks like my design on a minimalist style wallet is takin off, with just two weekends of exposure at a local craft fair that is only open Saturday mornings I have sold all but one(started with 8). I have two that have prepaid with shipping. One is going to Maryland.
BTW the DW has sold one at her work.
Repair work seems to be a thing also.gotta be picky there.
I still hafta get going on a water buffalo mystery braid belt..wait a sec, make that two.
Oh dang it, I need to replace some purse locks, some belt loop key ring holders, RFID cards......
Hey Frodo! Ya wanta come over and help me get caught up? I'll give ya a meal and a beer..... Ok two beers.
ssnonb, he can't cause he's sending video about leather working to me.
I have started using some of the punches and practice pieces of leather.
Starting in small steps at a time.
I found some more punches and stones in my kit that I will try to figure out what they are?
It looks like a miniature fork in various sizes, I thinking it might have something to do lacing?
But not a hundred percent sure.
Have fun, cause I will learning about leather working.

ssnonb, he can't cause he's sending video about leather working to me.
I have started using some of the punches and practice pieces of leather.
Starting in small steps at a time.
I found some more punches and stones in my kit that I will try to figure out what they are?
It looks like a miniature fork in various sizes, I thinking it might have something to do lacing?
But not a hundred percent sure.
Have fun, cause I will learning about leather working.
Punch forks - so your stitches are even. Single, 2-prong and 4 prong are common.

Punch forks - so your stitches are even. Single, 2-prong and 4 prong are common.
Thank you for the information.
So 6 prong isn't common?
Dang I learned something today.
So what are the stones for?
One is round, about 3 inches thick about 3 diameter?
One is rectangle about 1 inch x 5 inches long pretty sure it's granite.
One looks like a "whet stone" but isn't.

Thank you for the information.
So 6 prong isn't common?
Dang I learned something today.
So what are the stones for?
One is round, about 3 inches thick about 3 diameter?
One is rectangle about 1 inch x 5 inches long pretty sure it's granite.
One looks like a "whet stone" but isn't.
I don't know how common or uncommon the 6 prong is but would be for long straight runs.
I have no idea about the stones. I will say me thinks you have a gold mine 😍
@Frodo needs to get his phone fixed to he can chime in.

Moboo ya auta get on line and paaruse around some of the leather supply houses and compare the shape and type of your "forks" for the reason that do ya have "pricking irons" or "stitching irons" .
On thin leather they can cross over in their functions...by that I mean they can both punch a hole thru, on thick stiff stuff I would not recommend using a prickin iron except for marking where you want to poke the lace or stitch hole with another tool(don't worry we all figger out how to make a lot of our own tools, dem store bought things are cheap and expensive!)
OH BTW. I have found that using any type of iron above a 4 tine is a waste of effort and the force needed to punch thru will bend the tines, bend the shaft or mushroom the shaft head.

Latest posts

Back