Investing "OUTSIDE" the box for SAFE profits.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the illegal wetbacks in our country Western Union should be a good buy. They all send their welfare checks back to their country.
Yep! And WU drops a slice of all that cash into my pocket every 3 months!
The buy order went thru so, I now have 860 shares that will be dropping delicious dividends on me. 😍
The next time they roll, I will post a brag-post. 😀

Last edited:
Back in 2008 I started buying CAT shares, among others, at $23 a share. I ended up with several shares. Several of my co-workers bought houses in Las Vegas and Hawaii at deeply discounted prices. Those were good times.
Ah, the great Obumer recession. Me too!
I have bragged enough about cranking my 401K withholding wide open at that time and making bank.🥰

In my portfolio, it can sit for years.
Just have your bag ready when the dividend $$$ drop. (Should be July 1st) Don't do reinvestment.

Last edited:
Anything can happen at any time. However, people have been "predicting" end of times since JC walked the earth. And smart investors are still doing good.
I'm in it for the dividends, companies don't lower or stop paying dividends if times get hard.
If the share price plunges, I wouldn't give a rip because I ain't selling.

Just have your bag ready when the dividend $$$ drop. (Should be July 1st) Don't do reinvestment.
Curious why you suggest against dividend reinvestment. Would that suggestion also apply to those who are still working and building up the portfolio?

I'm in it for the dividends, companies don't lower or stop paying dividends if times get hard.
what do you get each quarter from those shares again.

Curious why you suggest against dividend reinvestment. Would that suggestion also apply to those who are still working and building up the portfolio?
46 months

For that stock no, because it has very little upside.
I do reinvestment on my SO stock. :thumbs:

what do you get each quarter from those shares again.
A little over $100 each quarter for 460 shares.
With 860 shares, it should be close to $200 :).
Keep in mind, this is a "safe" investment. ;)

For that stock no, because it has very little upside.
I do reinvestment on my SO stock. :thumbs:
I have all my stocks set up for dividend reinvestment. I’ll still be working for a minimum of 4 years.

Do you have a share price or dividend amount threshold as a guideline for choosing not to reinvest?

I have all my stocks set up for dividend reinvestment. I’ll still be working for a minimum of 4 years.

Do you have a share price or dividend amount threshold as a guideline for choosing not to reinvest?
As you should!
Compounding rulz when you are building, more so than when you are drawing.

That is not investing advice. :rolleyes:

Ben
You are correct!
A reminder:
*The opinions expressed in this thread are just that, OHpinions. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Which allows me to mention Gold Silver and NVIDIA did well today.

Elon Musk new company will invest heavily in NVIDIA chips.

Ben
NVIDIA, not my cup of tea.
That's why people should read this thread...
Screenshot_20240528-220823_kindlephoto-144604313.png

Price-to-earning ratio of 66, yield of .04%, and a dividend of 1¢ ?

Last edited:
I mainly bought dividend paying stocks over the past 45+ years. Always had them reinvested until I retired. Now the dividends are providing us with a good income.
We recently opened up savings accounts for the grandkids. Next we'll open them brokerage accounts and start helping them learn stock investments. They're 8 and 9 years old. It's never too early to teach kids about investing. For a long time we were buying bonds for the grandkids too.

I mainly bought dividend paying stocks over the past 45+ years. Always had them reinvested until I retired. Now the dividends are providing us with a good income.
We recently opened up savings accounts for the grandkids. Next we'll open them brokerage accounts and start helping them learn stock investments. They're 8 and 9 years old. It's never too early to teach kids about investing. For a long time we were buying bonds for the grandkids too.

Most of my income comes from dividends.
My mom started schooling me on investing when I was17 😍.
The value of my stock portfolio, on paper, dropped $3,000 this week.
Good thing I'm a dividend guy, and do not rely on the price of stocks going up to make money, huh? :)
Welcome to the rollercoaster! 😀
They went back up $2,750 on Friday. (giant yawn)

I can't buy stocks until this financial situation of mine clears up. :(

I just had an inquiry from a nephew who asked what he should do with some inheritance he has parked in a savings account right now. I asked him how much interest he was making and he said "not much". That tells me that he really doesn't know, but I doubt he is wrong. I told him about a 5 month CD at the bank he is at for just around 5%. I told him that would give him 5 months to figure it out. However, that money has to be "new" money to that bank. I asked him if he had an account at the local Credit Union. He said "yes" just a small account. Great! I told him that CU has a 9 month CD for just under 5% (again with new money) I told him if he didn't want to bother moving it out and then a day later moving it back to the other bank, then he could just move it to the CU and invest in a short term CD there. If he's going to keep it in the bank (or CU), he might as well make a decent amount of interest on it.

Put it all on black.

Blackrock that is.

*Not investment advice.
I finally caved and put in a buy order today for another 400 shares of Western Union stock at $12.70 .
It has continued to drop in price the last few weeks and I don't wanna miss the boat again. :(
I watch my stuff every weekday.
Western Union went 'ex-dividend' on 6-14-24 and the stock price dropped briefly below $12 today. (expected).
(People that don't own it before XD date, don't get no dividend munney :()
...Which reminds me, the juicy dividend pays shortly after 7-1-24! 😁
50723-drool.gif

Last edited:
Back