Jokes and Humor

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1690737766442.png

I still think rolling down a hill in a d-9 tire after a 5th of tequila and various recreational drugs fan-tailing puke is pretty extreme.

Ok, so far, me and Neb!! Come on, who else, fess up!!
I don't give financial advice
66984-NoDeal.gif
. That's illegal unless you are licensed.
The rest, I plead guilty to. :D

Bet he never lived this down!!

View attachment 113013

We used to do this all the time with our ambulances. Probably someone would do it once a week.

Our units had an electrical cord attachment into the side of the ambulance right behind the drivers door. There was a heavy duty cord and plug hanging down from the ceiling that you plugged into the ambulance when you parked it in the garage. This would charge the batteries - there were multiple ones with a switch box we could use to pick a different battery if one was dead. We could also put that switch box in an intermediate position - engaging no battery at all - and that would confuse ambulance thieves at the scene who couldn't figure out why the ambulance they were trying to steal wouldn't start.

Driving off to a call, you were supposed to unplug the cord first (duh!) Many of our drivers failed at this simple task. They tried reinforcing the plug and cord so that it would yank out of the ambulance side if you drove off with it still plugged in. This helped kind of, but tended to do damage to the female jack in the ambulance. I guess it was not feasible to move the jack to the back of the van so you would drive straight away from it, and yanking the cord out that way would be non-damaging.

Then our illustrious drivers came up with a new way to screw things up. They would remember to pull the cord out as they opened the ambulance door. But then the cord would be swinging back and forth in the air. Some of the time it would swing forward just as the driver was shutting the door after getting in. And the door would close on it with the plug inside the vehicle. Now driving off in this situation was really fun. The cord would get yanked back but the plug was held tight in the door. Which would rip the cord right out of the plug. The hot wires sticking out of the cord where the plug used to be would short on the metal body of the ambulance, making a huge amount of sparks and a loud pop. This would happen just as the decapitated plug fell into the drivers lap. Talk about scaring the crap out of somebody. Massive sparks right beside your ear and a heavy plug dropping into your lap. The driver would often times lurch to the center of the vehicle in reflexive action trying to get away from being electrocuted. Just as the ambulance was starting to exit the garage. Which happened to have a center support beam between the multiple ambulance bays. So that beam got hit a lot. The ambulances usually showed these battle scars from the beam when arriving at the scene. Hey, but at least the beam did a good job of scraping any electrical cord remnants off the side of the van as we left the garage. So we didn't look quite as bad as the guy dragging the fuel hose in the picture above.

So a bit of advice for anybody thinking of adding a permanent charger to their car. Mount the jack IN THE BACK, so when you forget to unplug the car it can be yanked out cleanly on departure.

Latest posts

Back