Meatloaf

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My go to recipe for meatloaf is the following:
5 pounds of ground chuck(it's what I prefer).
2 peeled and diced onions
2 gloves of garlic
4 Sweet peppers(red, green, yellow and orange)
Seeded, cut into strips, then diced.
4 Jalapeno's seeded and thinly cut into rings then diced
1 cup of old fashion oats
4 large eggs
2 large carrots peeled and Julianne and diced
2 pints of tomato salsa(chunky homemade)
Mix everything together
Place into miniature loaf pans, usually get 8-10 miniature meatloaves.
My Meatloaf recipe can also be used as base for hamburger soup.
It also can be used for base for Shepard's pie.
My measurements are approx.
Enjoy!

My go to recipe for meatloaf is the following:
5 pounds of ground chuck(it's what I prefer).
2 peeled and diced onions
2 gloves of garlic
4 Sweet peppers(red, green, yellow and orange)
Seeded, cut into strips, then diced.
4 Jalapeno's seeded and thinly cut into rings then diced
1 cup of old fashion oats
4 large eggs
2 large carrots peeled and Julianne and diced
2 pints of tomato salsa(chunky homemade)
Mix everything together
Place into miniature loaf pans, usually get 8-10 miniature meatloaves.
My Meatloaf recipe can also be used as base for hamburger soup.
It also can be used for base for Shepard's pie.
My measurements are approx.
Enjoy!
I'm gonna pass this to the church group, anything over a pound of ground beef is more than I can eat. It will be a fabulous community gathering meal.

Last edited:
I love trying new meatloaf recipes, thanks Mo!!
i love left over meatloaf sandwiches the following days...mayo on white bread.

I'm gonna pass this to the church group, anything over a pound of ground beef is more than I can eat. It will be a fabulous community gathering meal.
You can freeze meal sized portions. I have done that with meatloaf. When I take it out to heat it up, sometimes I use it for meatloaf sandwiches, sometimes with a couple sides for a meal.

Thanks, Mo! I love meatloaf but don't make it often enough.

Meatloaf is my absolute favorite way to prep meat..
Many times it is never the same twice.. One of my best, not a recipe, more just a ..put together.. and baked

Ground beef, ground bear
Onion chopped
Homemade whole wheat bread crumbs
Garlic minced
Catsup
Sweet Baby Ray BBQ sauce
Black pepper

Yes.. Cold left over sandwiches on whole wheat
mayo
creamy horse radish sauce..
Hot tea with cream

Now you got me hungry..

My secret recipie is using honey bbq sauce (or whatever you like) instead of ketchup. I put it in the mix, then cover the loaves with it. Yum.

I make a Killer Macaroni, Egg Salad with Miracle Whip and Mustard...!!! but You'se can't have any as I can't Afford the Miracle Whip anymore... 🤣

Husband liked it when we were first married, but prefers regular mayo now. But in potato salad I use mayo, mustard, and sweet pickle relish.
Meatloaf.....hamburger, onion, bread broken up into pieces, catsup or pureed tomatoes if I have alot of them, eggs, garlic salt, dried onion. I put some catsup on top, too, when I bake it. Sometimes oatmeal instead of bread.

Another option...
Leave out the fillers, bread crumbs, oatmeal, and the like.. Form into logs, put in formed tin foil ..boats.. smoke in the smoker to well done beef internal temp.. This makes a wonderful cracker, cheese, mustard, sausage, hot or cold tea snack..

IMG_3811.jpeg
Marvin Lee Aday was Meatloaf’s real name.

You know, this recipe was similar to how my mom use to make it. Man, it was great. Problem now is my "other half" makes it her way, which is bland, flavorless and since there is no binders (eggs, oatmeal,etc) it tastes like a slow cooked burger. I would love to provide her your recipe, but my mom told me to never "bite the hand that feeds me!"

You know, this recipe was similar to how my mom use to make it. Man, it was great. Problem now is my "other half" makes it her way, which is bland, flavorless and since there is no binders (eggs, oatmeal,etc) it tastes like a slow cooked burger. I would love to provide her your recipe, but my mom told me to never "bite the hand that feeds me!"
I would not give you my mom's meatloaf recipe.
It was really bad.

What do we think makes meatloaf taste better? What seasonings makes it better?

I try to make it without bread, crackers, oatmeal. I try to use more eggs to help it bind together. I love lots of onions in it, along with some garlic (powder or chopped) and seasoning salt. Of course there is the tomato, usually ketchup. Salt and pepper are important.

Latest posts

Back