Meatloaf

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My go to recipe for meatloaf is the following:
5 pounds of ground chuck(it's what I prefer).
2 peeled and diced onions
2 gloves of garlic
4 Sweet peppers(red, green, yellow and orange)
Seeded, cut into strips, then diced.
4 Jalapeno's seeded and thinly cut into rings then diced
1 cup of old fashion oats
4 large eggs
2 large carrots peeled and Julianne and diced
2 pints of tomato salsa(chunky homemade)
Mix everything together
Place into miniature loaf pans, usually get 8-10 miniature meatloaves.
My Meatloaf recipe can also be used as base for hamburger soup.
It also can be used for base for Shepard's pie.
My measurements are approx.
Enjoy!
That’s a lot of meatloaf! Salsa and jalapeños 🤯 that blew my top just reading it 😂. Hubby would probably love it, but I’m not gonna tell him 😉

Trivia...
I have tried the recipe for meatloaf using ..Stove Top.. box stuffing..
I WILL NOT make that again.. But then someone may like it..

One useful thing I have also found.. Is to bake meatloaf in the ...meatloaf... pans with the lift out insert.. You can use any blend of ground meat and the fat drains to the bottom well..

One example..
https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Meta...4530-B006AEVRB6-&hvexpln=73&gad_source=1&th=1

I suppose you could freeze little meat loafs and have a quick dinner?
Absolutely! Maybe you didn't see the thread about meal prepping or the discussion earlier about freezing it. I've made large batches of meatloaf and frozen it into meal sized portions. Mo makes small meatloaves and freezes them.

What do we think makes meatloaf taste better? What seasonings makes it better?

I try to make it without bread, crackers, oatmeal. I try to use more eggs to help it bind together. I love lots of onions in it, along with some garlic (powder or chopped) and seasoning salt. Of course there is the tomato, usually ketchup. Salt and pepper are important.
I use a lot of fresh ground pepper, onions, garlic, jalenpeno's .
I don't personally use ketchup unless I make the ketchup or bbq sauce.
Carrots will actually get sweet when baked into meatloaf.
As for the carrots, when my sons were small they wouldn't eat vegetables.
So I got creative with their vegetables.
They ate vegetables they just didn't know they were eating them.

You know, this recipe was similar to how my mom use to make it. Man, it was great. Problem now is my "other half" makes it her way, which is bland, flavorless and since there is no binders (eggs, oatmeal,etc) it tastes like a slow cooked burger. I would love to provide her your recipe, but my mom told me to never "bite the hand that feeds me!"

I would not give you my mom's meatloaf recipe.
It was really bad.
My mom couldn't cook.
She never learned how.
By the time I was ten, I did the cooking for the family.
I love to cook, hate to wash dishes.
But love to cook.
My mom had to work to help support the family while Dad was some place we couldn't go.
That's called deployment these days.
So I cooked for the family.

I use a pound of pork sausage and a pound of ground beef, usually 80/20. I put in onions, sometimes mushrooms and a packet of Lipton onion soup mix. Some worcestshire sauce, maybe some liquid smoke, paprika, pepper. A couple eggs, maybe some panko or oatmeal. I think it comes out pretty tasty.

I use a pound of pork sausage and a pound of ground beef, usually 80/20. I put in onions, sometimes mushrooms and a packet of Lipton onion soup mix. Some worcestshire sauce, maybe some liquid smoke, paprika, pepper. A couple eggs, maybe some panko or oatmeal. I think it comes out pretty tasty.
We used to get a box or carton of matches that came in something called books with maybe 20 matches in a book. Hunts had a series of matches that had recipes on them. My dad smoked and used the matches, and cooked a meatloaf from a Hunt's match book. I remember that is was so delicious. It had either ground pork or pork sausage as well as ground beef. I wish I had that recipe.

I have made my meatloaf with:
Deer burger
Elk
Pork sausage
Canjun Sausage
Alligator
Chicken/ turkey ground
Basically whatever I have on hand is what I cook with.
I also make meatloaf burgers with parchment paper between each.
Flash freeze, put into bread plastic bag, pull out what I need.

I never knew people made meatloaf in loaf pans, and I guess I still don't understand why. You know, other than I am sure that's where the name comes from. Wouldn't that just trap the nasty stuff in with the meatloaf? I usually make mine in a smoker on top of a mesh pan, but when I do make one in the oven I just throw it on a raised edge cookie sheet and mold it into the shape I want. Then I can surround it with red potatoes and onions and get a nice crust all around the meat.

I never knew people made meatloaf in loaf pans, and I guess I still don't understand why. You know, other than I am sure that's where the name comes from. Wouldn't that just trap the nasty stuff in with the meatloaf? I usually make mine in a smoker on top of a mesh pan, but when I do make one in the oven I just throw it on a raised edge cookie sheet and mold it into the shape I want. Then I can surround it with red potatoes and onions and get a nice crust all around the meat.
I make mine in miniature loaf pans, because they stack better in the freezer.
I also wrap mine in basket weave bacon and smoke it in the smoker with hickory.

What I have tried is using corned beef hash instead of hamburger. I didn't really have all the good extra ingredients but enough. It came out way better than I thought it would. It used to be CBH was cheap as people preferred the roast beef hash, good also I'd bet. Spice it up with some Italian sausage, garlic and herb croutons and what ever your mad, mad little minds can imagine. It really isn't bad at all I think but then I put strips of bologna in my lime kool aid.

What I have tried is using corned beef hash instead of hamburger. I didn't really have all the good extra ingredients but enough. It came out way better than I thought it would. It used to be CBH was cheap as people preferred the roast beef hash, good also I'd bet. Spice it up with some Italian sausage, garlic and herb croutons and what ever your mad, mad little minds can imagine. It really isn't bad at all I think but then I put strips of bologna in my lime kool aid.
I was with you until the last sentence! Lol!!

Are you one of those people that put ketchup on ice cream by any chance? 😁
Really... ?? Will have to try that....
I put fried bologna on wheat bread toast with yellow mustard and grape jelly... 😍

Latest posts

Back