MF12 Balers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mml373

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have 2 old Massey MF12 square balers, new to me. We got them running pretty well and I suspect the knotters will continue to improve after some more bales are through them. We used an old (borrowed) Massey 135 tractor to bale over the weekend, but I was wondering if it would be OK to put these on a newer higher-horsepower tractor. We may end up owning the old Massey (waiting for current owner to make some repairs), which has 38 PTO horsepower, but the main utility tractor I use has slightly more than 100 PTO horsepower and may have to do in a pinch unless it would destroy these old balers. Appreciate any input.

Nice, beautiful bales from these old machines!!

If you do use the big one, I'd bale slowly.
Yes, indeed. The baler manual recommends plunger operation at (if memory serves) 80 strokes per minute but I don't see forward ground speed given (leaves it open to operator's discretion based upon crop density/ground conditions, but the Massey 135 was kept pretty slow and there's no reason to hurry. Going too slow can result in misshapen bales.

I have 2 old Massey MF12 square balers, new to me. We got them running pretty well and I suspect the knotters will continue to improve after some more bales are through them. We used an old (borrowed) Massey 135 tractor to bale over the weekend, but I was wondering if it would be OK to put these on a newer higher-horsepower tractor. We may end up owning the old Massey (waiting for current owner to make some repairs), which has 38 PTO horsepower, but the main utility tractor I use has slightly more than 100 PTO horsepower and may have to do in a pinch unless it would destroy these old balers. Appreciate any input.

Nice, beautiful bales from these old machines!!
It shouldn't have any impact on the old bailers. Just watch your speed and your PTO RPM's.

From what I gather: If you’re running a Massey… be careful that you don’t exploded the equipment you’re using.

Edit… the Massey you’re looking at is underpowered compared to the other. All I know is how to run with what I’m using,… making compromises as necessary.

Last edited:
From what I gather: If you’re running a Massey… be careful that you don’t exploded the equipment you’re using.

Edit… the Massey you’re looking at is underpowered compared to the other. All I know is how to run with what I’m using,… making compromises as necessary.
Biggest thing on that small Massey tractor is to keep the plunger speed at the recommended rate and engine RPMS up a little on hills. Everything's pretty flat but some hills can bog things down pretty easily if the tractor's not getting enough throttle.

My larger tractor wouldn't even break a sweat. The open station Massey is fun and easier to deal with, when baling.

Latest posts

Back