My "IGLO" is melting. I'll be IGLO'LESS.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
It's global-warming I tellya'!!! :oops:
Al Gore told me so! :p

Your post has been reported to Greta Thunberg.

510ynQwuu7L._AC_US750_.jpg

@Sourdough thank you for the linked weather report. All jokes aside, is it accurate to say that basically no one has air conditioning? Maybe in the hospital?
Very few in South-Central would have air conditioning. But in Fairbanks people would, it can be in the 90's to over 100 degrees. And the sun is cooking 24 hours a day. So, there is no relief at night, actually.....there is NO night.
I only started this thread because there are people who think it is sub-zero all the time, year-around.

Heat pumps are becoming popular. The new models can function to as low as -22℉. This gives you the benefit of an AC option. I put two in Mom’s house though we have not used the AC here yet this year.

Heat pumps are becoming popular. The new models can function to as low as -22℉. This gives you the benefit of an AC option. I put two in Mom’s house though we have not used the AC here yet this year.
I have heat pumps in all my houses. They "say" -22°F but in my experience, that's also meaning that the strip heat inside the air handler is also coming on. When those strip heaters come on, your electric bill will go through the roof. Around here in PA, once it goes below about 15-20° those strip heaters come into play and will raise your electric bill about $200/month. Even more if it gets colder.

In the summer with the sun on the north side of the house when you get up, rotating around the house, and again on the north side of the house when you go to bed, the house turns into an oven.

I don’t believe that my heat pumps have a heat strip. In the winter the units can freeze up on the outside unit. We are told to turn on the AC for long enough to thaw the ice dam. Rarely does the temperature drop lower than 20℉ at Mom’s. My home sees -20℉ most years but I plan to turn on the gas furnace or the wood stove when it gets near 0º. I have the heat pump though I haven’t been home long enough to install it.

I have heat pumps in all my houses. They "say" -22°F but in my experience, that's also meaning that the strip heat inside the air handler is also coming on. When those strip heaters come on, your electric bill will go through the roof. Around here in PA, once it goes below about 15-20° those strip heaters come into play and will raise your electric bill about $200/month. Even more if it gets colder.
York, Briggs and Straton, and Equitable resources created a consortium and sold gas fired heat pumps. Used a gas engine for the compressor outside. Below 15 degrees it had gas heater outside.

The consortium offered a big rebate. Wife worked for Equitable that offered a rebate. Double bonus. I replaced the 50 year old furnace and added air conditioning. The main water lines needed moved. I purchased 3/4 pipe and fittings. Got all of that for $3k !

Loved that thing. Gas was used for heating and cooling.

Ben

Very few in South-Central would have air conditioning. But in Fairbanks people would, it can be in the 90's to over 100 degrees. And the sun is cooking 24 hours a day. So, there is no relief at night, actually.....there is NO night.
I only started this thread because there are people who think it is sub-zero all the time, year-around.
I think LL in Washington has been training with Pearl, and found someplace to ship her hot weather to. :oops:

Bet the cabbage does well.

Back