NOT POLITICAL please. Strictly reference: "PREPPING". (and not the "easy" answer, family or loved ones.)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
The idiom the hill you want to die on is believed to have originated in the military context, signifying a battle, typically fought on a hill (the high ground being strategically advantageous), that a soldier is willing to die for due to its significant importance.

The idiom itself, however, rose to prominence in the 20th century, and its use isn’t limited to military or warfare scenarios. Today, the phrase is often used metaphorically in arguments or discussions to represent a point or issue that someone feels so passionately about they are willing to go to extreme lengths to defend it.

In essence, “the hill you want to die on” is an idiomatic phrase suggesting the decision to fight for something with all one’s might, signifying the issue is of such importance to the individual that they are willing to endure significant loss or even ‘metaphorical death’ for it.

What "Other" then your family and friends. Not political. What other mountain would you choose to go "All-in"....???

Think about it, (People loathe actually THINKING, reflecting on things for days or weeks).

If you were in the military, NOT looking for that period, looking for today, in (4) FOURS hours from now, what (other than family or friends or loved ones, or political, would you march up the hill)

Last edited:
I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but this is what I think. "What hill do you want to die on?" That would be my home. To use another analogy, my home is my Alamo. The only things I could think of that would make me leave are Flood, Fire, or some toxic spill that made the area unlivable. Other than those I will hunker down and defend what I have. Civil unrest would not make me leave. If the house was damaged from a natural disaster I would stay on my property.

Would I march up a hill? Maybe, if the country had been invaded, and there were enemy combatants approaching the area.

Hope I answered correctly.

Dying to save others is good, but so is in bed with two 30-days past legal chicks and a bong between us! I can do the hero thing I think, might be doing myself a favor in the end, but really. I'm not dying for somebody else's cause, that's not in the job description. Two cute babes that know grandpa gets free with his cash when he's in a good mood is more my style.

Thinking is very different then "choosing". Thinking is very hard work; it can often take weeks or months (possibly years or "NEVER") to arrive at an answer.

When you ask people to think about a quantified question, in seconds (often before the question is fully rendered to them) they "CHOOSE" one of their currently existing answers.

This thread has me wondering what issue, limited to my family or my core belief (my maker), is worth dying for? After a few hours of thinking all else has me thinking of another catch phrase. Live to fight another day. In my younger days I had all sorts of things I thought would be worthy of dying for. That circle is pretty tight now.

My family.

My answer would be pretty close to @Morgan101 s answer. Mr TexasCharm and I have had this convo many times. Our property is our hill to die on. They'll have to kill us or burn us out of here. I've even narrowed it down to our water well.. or my chickens. Nobody is putting a meter on my well, or taking or testing my chickens. I know it sounds stupid, but part of my sacred "hill" is my ability to get water, and my chickens. It'll be a fight.. a big ol' fight!

there is nothing or nobody I want to die for, live to fight another day .

I'm not sure I fully understand the question either- but my hill is my home Same as @TexasCharm
By extension my family, everything I do is to secure their future. I have fought tooth and nail to ensure my son with autism received his benefits and is set up with some independence. About to do the same for a second. Things are changing so much, its more and more difficult to buy a house here. All four will always have a roof over their heads.

This vid. is about 7 min. and fits perfectly here. The images are strange - can just listen while folding laundry or something, but IMO good message.

So I actually thought about this for a few days rather than just post a quick thought.

I am willing to die for this country, the same way our founding fathers were. I am willing to die for those I have already climbed a hill with. I am willing to die in defense of our way of life from enemy combatants. I am willing to die in defense of people who are unable to defend themselves from evil people. And quite frankly, I am willing to die for a healthy paycheck to avoid having to live a monday through friday 9-5 life.

Plus, you know, reasons which I am not allowed to discuss for fear of this thread being moved to other sections.

I would not die for America today.
Sixty years ago, even 50 years ago, I would have been willing to die for America.

Latest posts

Back