Omg lost electricity

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGirl07

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I just realized I'm totally addicted to electricity I lost power for less than 10 minutes and I was like this sucks I can't watch my show. Not gonna be good if we ever lose electricity for more than a couple of hours. Lol

LMAO was it fun?.i'd have dt's if i had to go very long with no internet.:p..i've done very little in prepping for such situations.i do have 1 rechargable lantern,2 brookyen lantern,2 or 3 oil lamps all for light.we have candels as well.flash lights.most of them are mine.

LMAO was it fun?.i'd have dt's if i had to go very long with no internet.:p..i've done very little in prepping for such situations.i do have 1 rechargable lantern,2 brookyen lantern,2 or 3 oil lamps all for light.we have candels as well.flash lights.most of them are mine.

Lol yeh so fun I was watching netflix hart of dixie and then nothing I was like noooooo I'm sure you heard my screams!!!!

We occasionally go without power for hours at a time. A transformer near us is routinely besieged by tree-dwelling animals that inevitably short it out every couple of months. Lucky for us, we've gotten used to it.

The worst part, is no running water (well-pump). Hopefully, by year's end, we'll have a backup generator wired up for this. Currently, we solve it by using some reserve water barrels.

Other than that though, if dark, we just fire up the oil lamps. If warm, we open all the windows. If cold, we fire up the fireplace. Then, we gather round, and either read books, or play board games, etc. For dinner, we then fire up the grill.

Longest we were without, was a couple of days. Even then, the biggest worry was all the money we were going to lose in groceries (and getting water out of the barrels was kind of a chore...as we had to then fill buckets to water the horses). (This we're going to solve by putting a barrel in each stable)

You should just practice it every now and then. Come up with some power-less entertainment options. Then, next time it happens, others can be amazed at how quickly you adapt.

We occasionally go without power for hours at a time. A transformer near us is routinely besieged by tree-dwelling animals that inevitably short it out every couple of months. Lucky for us, we've gotten used to it.

The worst part, is no running water (well-pump). Hopefully, by year's end, we'll have a backup generator wired up for this. Currently, we solve it by using some reserve water barrels.

Other than that though, if dark, we just fire up the oil lamps. If warm, we open all the windows. If cold, we fire up the fireplace. Then, we gather round, and either read books, or play board games, etc. For dinner, we then fire up the grill.

Longest we were without, was a couple of days. Even then, the biggest worry was all the money we were going to lose in groceries (and getting water out of the barrels was kind of a chore...as we had to then fill buckets to water the horses). (This we're going to solve by putting a barrel in each stable)

You should just practice it every now and then. Come up with some power-less entertainment options. Then, next time it happens, others can be amazed at how quickly you adapt.
I have a couple generators, a 10k and a small one with a couple 110v. plugs. You can get a small one from harbor freight pretty cheap, and at least you can keep a freezer and fridge going. I can live reasonably comfortably without electricity, but the freezer has a pretty decent amount of food stored that I'd hate to loose, and the fridge really makes life easier and safer for daily eating.

My cousin just spent 7 days without power in lower Michigan! They have dealt with this issue before and still fail to prepare. They dont have a generator, no wood stove for heat. My cousin kept her gas cooking stove on for some heat but she said kitchen area only 40 degrees.
When I try to talk about prepping I get "thats crazy".
I know we would be better prepared!

id tell her.i cant beleave that someone would actully be foolish enough to sufer instead of prepareing for some thing like that..

this is a blackout....don't let it go to waste....this is a blackout ....I want to detonate......................... Foo Fighters song I sing everytime the power goes out.......I sang it for 5 1/2 weeks after Katrina

I just realized I'm totally addicted to electricity I lost power for less than 10 minutes and I was like this sucks I can't watch my show. Not gonna be good if we ever lose electricity for more than a couple of hours. Lol
My cousin just spent 7 days without power in lower Michigan! They have dealt with this issue before and still fail to prepare. They dont have a generator, no wood stove for heat. My cousin kept her gas cooking stove on for some heat but she said kitchen area only 40 degrees.
I know we would be better prepared!
This is what I use to prepare for power outage, as there may be more of them in southern kalifornia since the tree huggers got the nuclear power plant in san diego permanently shut down.

http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/solar-power.161/

this is a blackout....don't let it go to waste....this is a blackout ....I want to detonate......................... Foo Fighters song I sing everytime the power goes out.......I sang it for 5 1/2 weeks after Katrina
I thought 11days was long, you win! I also learned the hard way that when an area is hard hit, you can't get fuel either for the first several days. I rationed gas for the generators, running every couple of hrs to keep freezer and fridge going, but realize having a supply would be nice. I really want a secondary power source sometime soon, like some solar or hydro.

What's "crazy" is being in an area that has freezing temperatures and no off-grid method for reliable heat.

This would be a good time to pick up a survivalist/homesteading book. There is so much more to life that does not require electricity.

Didn't that nuclear plant have a bad vibration problem?
I worked there 9 years.
The vibration issue could be taken care of by turning that particular side down to around 70% output.
However, all of the tree hugging liberals (feinstein and boxer leading the charge) got the whole plant shut down.
The best part is how they (tree huggers) used clean environment as part of their campaign.
The truth is there will be 1500 jobs lost, including mine, millions of lost revenue, but the best part.
Remember the tree huggers wanted to be environmentally conscious.... Well........
Now the state has to turn to coal and other methods of production. This is going to put an estimated 18 million, yes million tons of CO2 in the atmosphere every year!

Here is an article from Forbes on it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesco...california-no-shopping-days-left-for-nuclear/

I worked there 9 years.
The vibration issue could be taken care of by turning that particular side down to around 70% output.
However, all of the tree hugging liberals (feinstein and boxer leading the charge) got the whole plant shut down.
The best part is how they (tree huggers) used clean environment as part of their campaign.
The truth is there will be 1500 jobs lost, including mine, millions of lost revenue, but the best part.
Remember the tree huggers wanted to be environmentally conscious.... Well........
Now the state has to turn to coal and other methods of production. This is going to put an estimated 18 million, yes million tons of CO2 in the atmosphere every year!

Here is an article from Forbes on it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesco...california-no-shopping-days-left-for-nuclear/
interesting article. Im aware that every issue has two sides, and depending on which news network you watch, you only get one or the other. i was a huge nuclear proponent up until fukshima, now im not against completely but am for more safeguards. i also thought you could just seperate the rods and they would go to sleep and be safe, i didnt realize they need to be cooled for many years. Im smart enough though to see that there are no perfect solutions, as fossil fuels pollute pretty badly, solar needs storage which pollutes also, etc. I think there needs to be some diversity with all involved. Sorry about the job loss though, did you work at that plant?

It's not exactly fair to compare nuclear facilities in different nations. Completely different standards, for example. Fukishima is not really a litmus test for American reactors. If we were really serious about alternative energy, and jobs, we'd put more into nuclear power (in my opinion).

It's not exactly fair to compare nuclear facilities in different nations. Completely different standards, for example. Fukishima is not really a litmus test for American reactors. If we were really serious about alternative energy, and jobs, we'd put more into nuclear power (in my opinion).
I watched a show a while back and they were testing elec cars back in the 50's and 60's. Fuel was so cheap that they never got a chance. Just think where we would be today if they had kept at it. A lot of other countries have been investing in alternative energies for years now, we have a lot of catching up to do. I think nuclear has a place in all this to, but think of all the jobs we can create with all the research and development.

We've had the tech for electric cars for decades, but it is the infrastructure necessity, that kept it under dust covers...that and the oil companies, of course (buying the patents!). A nuclear car though, would be pretty killer. The armed forces have been using nuclear powered ships and subs for years....and that's with decades old tech.

We've had the tech for electric cars for decades, but it is the infrastructure necessity, that kept it under dust covers...that and the oil companies, of course (buying the patents!). A nuclear car though, would be pretty killer. The armed forces have been using nuclear powered ships and subs for years....and that's with decades old tech.

Like the Ford Nucleon. "The car was to use a steam engine powered by uranium fission similar to how nuclear submarines work."

it would have been, but it was just a concept. but i do remember seeing some where a test video on a car running on that type of engine.
Sounds like an awesome idea until a terrorist gets ahold of it.

HI , If your worried about power., . I have these "relights" around my house in strategic switches and outlets. they dont use power and they glow all night. Great in garages, basements AND storm shelters. They are molded here in Indiana. Patented and Lifetime warrenty.

HI wrried about power?. I have these "relights" around my house in strategic switches and outlets. they dont use power and they glow all night. Great in garages, basements AND storm shelters. They are molded here in Indiana. Patented and Lifetime warrenty.

With nuclear cars, the real question would be, what about car accidents? Hehe....

Latest posts

Back