Omg lost electricity

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like those "As Seen On TV" motion sensor lights. They take AA batteries, and last a pretty good long time. Our current front door light needs to be replaced, so we got this in the meantime. Works great. Also has a light sensor, so only comes on at night, when motion is detected.

We put one in the hay storage shed too (as it gets dark in there, even with the doors open), and at the main stables porch, so easier to see out there, to then turn the lights fully on.

I've been asking myself how I could do with a long term power outage. The first thing is how do I get water, as this is assuming the county water pumps stop too. I'm lucky with creeks, and that is the number one thing I looked for when selecting a piece of property. If you don't have a creek or pond, I strongly advise getting a Manuel pump for the well.
The second think is how to cook. You need to have some secondary options. I currently have two propane grills, and three charcoal ones. I also have the knowledge to build a rocket stove with misc. materials I can easily find around. Now is a good time to practice cooking with a wood fire, as charcoal may not be readily available or afordable in the future. I'm working on getting a 500 gal propane tank, but even that will last a year or two at best, so learning to do with wood is wise. Something else that goes along with that are good hand tools, as gas for a chainsaw may not be available.
The third thing is a way to make food last longer. The root cellar I've been posting progress on a thread here is an attempt to maintain a cooler temperature without electricity. Look up how to make a zeer pot as well. It can make veggies last from three days to three weeks. I've thought about using the creeks to store stuff, but the wet environment may cause problems too.
I'm not too worried about collecting a lot of candles or flashlights, as shortly after electricity, most people will sleep during the dark hours. When you camp, even after three or four days, you begin to live on a more natural sleep cycle. All the distractions like TV, and other entertainments that require electricity are what keep us up after sunset mostly. That will change quickly.
Now we get to the good stuff, luxuries. To me, hot water is one of the best things around. I really hate cold showers! I can barely do a cold sponge bath. I could make a solar collector easily enough, but a pump to move the water is a little tougher. I still need to come up with a good plan for this.
Right now I'm tinkering with ideas on all these things, and with power tools it's not difficult to make these projects work. I think it will be much harder to build and make things when we are using just hand tools. Our forefathers did fine with hand tools, but how many of us still have these tools around today? My advice is to get busy now, while resources are more readily available.

One of the reasons I want to go to a solar pump. This really is the single most important challenge of our prepping....moving the water around.

One of the reasons I want to go to a solar pump. This really is the single most important challenge of our prepping....moving the water around.
I really need to move this higher on my list, as it really is the most important thing you can do. I'll start looking for a dc motor and a pump before long. I would even be ok with pumping creek water into the house for toilets and showers, and just filtering the drinking water.

Own a generator! It helps so much in times of no electricity. Aside from diesel, you may also want it to convert to LPG, so you can prep more! LPG tanks are so safe to store and won't expire....think....think....think!

Own a generator! It helps so much in times of no electricity. Aside from diesel, you may also want it to convert to LPG, so you can prep more! LPG tanks are so safe to store and won't expire....think....think....think!
Remember as well, you don't need to go out and spend 3500.00 on a whole house generator. Sure that's nice, but a small 110 generator can give you referigeration and lights, even countertop cooking appliances. If you're on a well a 220v genny can give you running water again. We've talked about gasoline not lasting long. It's got a year at best before loosing potency and gumming up the carburetor, so propane is the way to go. ( I love in the walking dead that the cars still start with the old gasoline, not to mention the batteries still working.). One thing to consider about sizing your generator though, with propane you loose about ten percent of power, which translated to loss of output too.

Eventually, I'd love to go to an LPG full house generator, but yeah, expensive.

A diesel generator is a great first step though....but I'd really rather put money into having a solar pump for this one thing. We get plenty of sun, so shouldn't be an issue.

i went through whats under my bed the other day,just to clean out whats not needed...and all i can say for my mom..is,DANG!!! she loves candles.LOL.and yes,there's still more candles throughout the house...im thinking of getting one of these power converters to run the fridge n freezer,time to time,just to keep them cold..any of you know any thing about them?all 3 connects directly to a car battery..

image_22145.jpg image_22620.jpg image_25234.jpg

i went through whats under my bed the other day,just to clean out whats not needed...and all i can say for my mom..is,DANG!!! she loves candles.LOL.and yes,there's still more candles throughout the house...im thinking of getting one of these power converters to run the fridge n freezer,time to time,just to keep them cold..any of you know any thing about them?all 3 connects directly to a car battery..

View attachment 4437 View attachment 4438 View attachment 4439
If you look at the fridge label and see what the amperage is I can help you with how big of an inverter you need, and how long a battery will last running it. My fridge is a huge energy hog, otherwise I would have done a solar panel and battery just for it. I can cook, use candles, heat with the fireplace, and function with just about everything else with no power, but the fridge is really important. Without it you'll have to find fresh food daily. I've got some candles around, but it's probably a good thing to stock up on whenever you find them on sale.

im having trouble getting a pic posted.anyhow..we have a under the bed tote,on wheels.in which,it is loaded full of candles

If you look at the fridge label and see what the amperage is I can help you with how big of an inverter you need, and how long a battery will last running it. My fridge is a huge energy hog, otherwise I would have done a solar panel and battery just for it. I can cook, use candles, heat with the fireplace, and function with just about everything else with no power, but the fridge is really important. Without it you'll have to find fresh food daily. I've got some candles around, but it's probably a good thing to stock up on whenever you find them on sale.

the full load amperage is 6.5

the full load amperage is 6.5
You can run it with two 200amphour 6volt golf cart batteries. You wire them in series to get twelve volts. The problem is you need enough solar panels to generate 16 amps a day to keep the batteries charged at peak. It's not an inexpensive proposition. The inverter also needs to be sized bigger than the actual draw, as the fridge pulls more on startup than when running.
The moral of this is I really wanted to do a solar setup, but due to the initial costs, and the maintenance long term with replacing batteries, I went with the propane option. In a perfect world, where I was rich, I'd like to have both systems! Just remember, baby steps. Do a little bit at a time as you can afford it. One of the things I do that works well towards preps is I have a written budget. I get paid every two weeks, and have a little bit go into a separate savings account. It's not a lot each check, but builds up over time, to where I can buy the things I want.

yeah,i know the prep on a budget all to well my self..i have different list,for different prepps.i wait till i have the lil extra money.then i go through the different list.and decide on what to buy in the way of importance.

After many months of research, I came to the same realization. Propane and generator is the way to go, hands down. If cost and value are important, as well as practicality.

The thing I would like about some solar is the noise issue. In a world without electricity or easily gotten fuel, there would be a lot less noise. A generator running would be a major beacon to those interested in what you have. I'm pretty far out, but in a built up area that's something to consider.

Now we get to the good stuff, luxuries. To me, hot water is one of the best things around. I really hate cold showers! I can barely do a cold sponge bath. I could make a solar collector easily enough, but a pump to move the water is a little tougher. I still need to come up with a good plan for this.

The best idea I can think of for this, is an outdoor shower, with a large reservoir that is above the shower area.
Filled with rainwater and/or from the well (or pool), and with a transparent glass that can be over the reservoir in sunny weather. The sun will heat the water quite a bit, but could be augmented with a solar heater as well.

Gravity would do the shower work. Granted, it's pretty manual, but not difficult to make, and would be a good pool shower for non SHTF purposes.

thats one thing i've been thinking of.a outdoor shower.and with the water reservoir above it..on account im sure there will be a day,where we won't be getting running water from a water treatment plant..and water collection is a must..

Having a water source is a must. If you don't have it on your property, find where some is around you. Collection is great, but I suggest getting started now, not after shtf. It's tough to make the time or money available for projects like this now, even with all the available things like hardware stores and power tools. Think how hard it would be post shtf. If you have a well, having a generator, or solar setup isn't a luxury, it's a major necessity. Water should be the first thing on your prepping list. I like to watch naked and afraid episodes. Water is one of the first things that takes people out.

Latest posts

Back