Omg lost electricity

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lol..i can picture it now..be 50+ miles away,and hear a loud explosion.just to turn around and see a mushroom cloud..lol

At 50 miles, not too much to worry about. Not even the biggest nuke ever made has that punch (they favor multiple warheads now, vs. big ones)). Though damn close...the Soviet's one-time 50mt one would affect about 40 miles out... During a modern nuclear war, the biggest we'd likely have to worry about is a 5mt one. In that case, 16 miles out and you're likely going to be OK. (though 20 would be better).... And this is considering an airburst strike (the most likely for modern missiles). Most common missiles though, are much smaller, less than 1mt, and more like 300-500kt instead.

At 50 miles, not too much to worry about. Not even the biggest nuke ever made has that punch (they favor multiple warheads now, vs. big ones)). Though damn close...the Soviet's one-time 50mt one would affect about 40 miles out... During a modern nuclear war, the biggest we'd likely have to worry about is a 5mt one. In that case, 16 miles out and you're likely going to be OK. (though 20 would be better).... And this is considering an airburst strike (the most likely for modern missiles). Most common missiles though, are much smaller, less than 1mt, and more like 300-500kt instead.
I think I'm most worried about the after effects. Don't think I want to eat any veggies grown any near any radiation. I read that the bikini atoll is completely safe to live on now, but you can't eat anything grown there as the radiation is in the ground and plants absorb more than we can tolerate.

You wouldn't last long in my world, the Electric goes out here all the time.
In a Prepper type situation, the first thing you would need to be weened from would be social media and the internet. Most of my video viewing is with the old CRT television and a roof top antenna. If a signal goes out, you just turn the antenna in another direction and keep watching.

as i posted in a diff topic.i lost electric for almost 2 hours last week..just came back in from outside..the wind has picked up to the point to where a person will only go out if needed..plus it feels like it's colder out..and it's drizzling rain..so here i am prepairing for the wrose,just in case the worse does happen.like chargeing up every thing that needs chargeing,..

Bikini is relatively safe as of 2012, but you also have to consider that more than 20 nukes were dropped on it, so not a real fair benchmark to go on. (and safe or not, I wouldn't bet my life on it, hehe).

nucleon_blue.jpg

ford_nucleon_model.jpg

William Ford alongside a 3/8 scale Nucleon model

we just had what i consider a very short term power outage,in which it only lasted 1 hour and 15 minutes..and i suddenly thought while the power was out..do I have everything needed for short term outages? and the answer is,NO I DONT!! and do i like that?again,no i dont..so i started a list of what i do have.in which i'll post once completed.then i'll post what i dont have once i make that list.

now i ask..do YOU have everything needed for short term power outages?

The last power cut we had came late one night and when it all went dark I suddenly realised that all my emergency candles, flashlights, light sticks etc were all neatly stored away in the garage , Do'h so now there are flashlights and light sticks in strategic places around the house much easier to get at if there is another power cut.

i have flashlights in my bedroom,livingroom,kitchen,and 1 in my moms bedroom.2 brooklyn lanterns in the living room.and 1 rechargeable lantern in my bedroom..i also have 4 oil lamps..1 on a shelve outside the bathroom,1 in the kitchen,1 in the livingroom,and 1 in my bedroom..in which i still need extra burners for 3 of them.and more lamp oil..

p.s.
what you went through raider,is the reason i keep them through the house.

think I have,flashlights here and there,candles and matches here and there..I'll have to see how it works when it hits me.

we been without electric enough times,where i do keep flashlights with good batteries in them where they are close at hand..i keep one on my night stand..1 next to the sofa im on while watching tv.and there's 2 in the kitchen.in which 1 of them is the type that plugs into a outlet for recharging.and with it being winter and all.i keep one in my coat pocket that i wear when i go outside..i think that i have at least 6 useable flashlights,4 lanterns,in which 1 lantern is for useing in a tent.and 2 headlamps..

I grew up with hurricanes, so having access to light is second nature to me.

First, hurricane season, but second, living in the country where critters often cause a power outage (they get fried in a transformer).

I categorize everything, so here's my power out kit/plan:

COOKING - Propane grill (which also has a burner). We'll grill up any thawed meat, anything frozen, we just keep it all shut and hope the power is back soon. If not, then we cook based on how thaw things get.

HEAT: Not an issue in Fl

COOLING: Open windows, usually get some ice chests ready with ice for drinks, and put an ice back in each fridge/freezer to help.

LIGHTS: Oil lamps are up all over the house, mostly as decor, but useful in a power outage. We light them in each major room we'll be in, and have quite a few flashlights and candles also. We keep cases of lamp oil too, as well as candles. We really like the head lights too, as you can have light and still have your hands free, which is really useful on the ranch. These things are hanging all over the place, ready for use.

ENTERTAINMENT: We'll shoot some pool, or play some boardgames mostly. Or some will just read books. (or use data, since wireless is out, and spend time on cell phones) or just draw, arts and crafts, whatever.

COMMUNICATION: We have a landline phone also, so that still works when power is out, plus we can charge cell phones with car jacks. We have radios too, but rarely ever need to use these, but we do keep them charged. We also have battery powered radios to listen to news stations, etc. We actually have a battery powered TV too, but since they changed from analog to digital, I need to get a converter for that to be useful again. Simply put, nothing we can't do on a charged cell phone though, so not a real worry.

TOOLS: Cordless tools are a big help. Can be charged and ready to use, even in an outage. More important around storm season.

WATER: Eventually won't be an issue (plan is to go to a solar pump and have manual backup), but currently, we lose power, we lose the well pump. Luckily, we always have cases of bottled water onhand, and we have a couple of 50 gallon barrels for emergency water, so those are ready to use during an outage. If we know ahead of time (like a storm is coming), we have other means too, such as filling buckets with water to keep by each toilet, and an emergency water bladder that fits in the bathtub. http://beprepared.com/aquapodkit-emergency-water-storage.html

Remember, we have animals too, so we have to consider having water onhand for them as well, during the outage. Seems like a lot of extra water, but it is SO important, that I actually am planning to add even more stored water.

Last edited:
we have a propane stove top n oven..so no problem there on cooking..and it can double for heat if/when needed..
as for cooling goes.we have a storm door on the front door and back door..so all we have to do,is to open the front and back doors.then open the windows on the storm doors..

lights..i keep my 4 oil lamps where their needed the most.and that allows us to walk through the house without a flashlight or lantern.in which we have 4 of.mom uses 2 of the lanterns for when she's reading a book,or working a puzzle book.seeing how they give out a lot of light.and 1 lantern will be in the bathroom for when it's needed.my headlamp and a 3A battry flashlight is in front me,(just in case their needed.

tools.i have a cordless drill that has 2 power packs for it..and of course,everyday hand tools,if needed...
we have cell phones and 1 battery operated eton radio.it has a solar panal,hand crank and a power cord.in which i can use my rechargable jump starter to recharge it if needed,on account it has a usb port and a car lighter on it..i can even recharge my nook with it..

still working on water supply.in which i my 55 gallon barral in my bathroom right now.and its full of water.just in case we lose the city water for what ever reason(s)..12 1-gallon jugs of water.pluss other bottles of water..i even saved quiet a few 1 gallon milk jugs.in which that water would be for the toliet only..

we have a propane stove top n oven..so no problem there on cooking..and it can double for heat if/when needed..
as for cooling goes.we have a storm door on the front door and back door..so all we have to do,is to open the front and back doors.then open the windows on the storm doors..

lights..i keep my 4 oil lamps where their needed the most.and that allows us to walk through the house without a flashlight or lantern.in which we have 4 of.mom uses 2 of the lanterns for when she's reading a book,or working a puzzle book.seeing how they give out a lot of light.and 1 lantern will be in the bathroom for when it's needed.my headlamp and a 3A battry flashlight is in front me,(just in case their needed.

tools.i have a cordless drill that has 2 power packs for it..and of course,everyday hand tools,if needed...
we have cell phones and 1 battery operated eton radio.it has a solar panal,hand crank and a power cord.in which i can use my rechargable jump starter to recharge it if needed,on account it has a usb port and a car lighter on it..i can even recharge my nook with it..

still working on water supply.in which i my 55 gallon barral in my bathroom right now.and its full of water.just in case we lose the city water for what ever reason(s)..12 1-gallon jugs of water.pluss other bottles of water..i even saved quiet a few 1 gallon milk jugs.in which that water would be for the toliet only..
Glad to hear the used milk jugs are just for toilet. It always seemed kind of risky to try and clean one out for drinking.

yeah..they might be easy enough to clean plenty good for drinking water..but yet,i got to thinking..it'd take only 1 jug of water to ruin my day..and thats a chance that id rather not take.anyone else or myself.and i just thought..i can always use them for target practice,if nothing else..just fill um with water or dirt.then set them up somewhere safe.and have at it..

ok here's the list of what i have for a power outage..
butane lighters.
kitchen matches
candles..dont know how many i have..
long steam lighters
4 oil lamps
1 small camping lantern that uses 3 AAA batteries
1 3A flashlight
1 3A headlamp
2 landline phones that operate off of the landline
candles.not only good for light.but for some heat as well
hand crank flashlight/radio
1 rechargeable lantern
1 3A flashlight
1 eton am/fm/weather band radio with solar panel hand crank and power cord.power cord can be used at a electric outlet or usb port
1 portable and rechargeable jump starter.with a usb port and car lighter..it's good for recharging my eton radio,cell phones ,nook color,and rechargeable lantern
2 brooklyen lanterns with 2D battreries in each of them
2 rechargable flashlights.in which 1 is always fully charged up
6 AAA batteries
15 AA batteries

heres what i need more of..
6 more rechargeable D batteries
lamp oil for oil lamps

here's what i need all together

and some place to go if needed
back up generator and fuel for it

Last edited:
I think the best way to prepare for an electricity outage is to go camping. I'm not talking about KOA, with a bath house and plugs at each campsite. Go remote camping, and test out your gear for at least three or four days. That's a great way to see how well some of the stuff in your bugout bag actually works, or dosent. It's also a great way to connect with your family. A trial run for no power, cell phone, Internet, etc. your kids will be miserable. :)

I do long walks (max so far is 14 days), and that gear sits in the cupboard, so in theory I can do the same at the drop of a hat any time in the knowledge that I can live just fine without power or indeed anything in the house.

For ages I've been pushing for people to get into bushwalking, it's probably the best way to prep for bugging out as such walks become just the norm, 10 days to the BOL, no problem, do that all the time. Also if you join a local club and go on a few of thier walks you will find all sorts of neat places that the general population doesn't know about.

Well, you could simply switch the breakers off for a few hours, and see what is needed there. Food will still keep ok in the fridge that long, so it's a good way to see what you really need.

exactly on the short term,..be it just a few minutes..just to get everyones attention and all..to a few hours to get everyone to thinking about the long term..

We get an outage about once every 4 months or so, typically for about 3-4 hours as it often takes some time for someone to get out here.

Usually, it's due to some critter trying to mess with the transformer from a nearby tree, so it fries and we lose power (typically our nearest neighbor too).

So, we typically get some practice. Mostly it happens in the daytime though.

our last time was during the day,and it didn't last long enough to make me happy..so to speak..so it didn't take much to keep us going and entertained..so i need to plan a good short term outage of some kind..and maybe one that last maybe 8 hours or longer..

Just be sure to put some bags of ice in your fridge, to help keep things cool in there. You don't want to spoil food, just for a test. I actually keep a couple bags of ice out in the freezer, (usually, just to have it onhand if entertaining, but also nice to have in an emergency too).

yeah..i've been working on making sure the ice maker is getting filled more then what it normally does..simply by opening the freezer door and making sure that arm is all the way down,so itll make ice.

Yeah, I've got two fridges, and a stand-alone freezer, but only one has an ice-maker, so never enough if we have guests, so I always keep a spare bag or two handy.

Yeah, I've got two fridges, and a stand-alone freezer, but only one has an ice-maker, so never enough if we have guests, so I always keep a spare bag or two handy.
I took some 2liter soda bottles and filled them with water and lined the bottom of the freezer with them. That ought to give me a couple extra days with the chest freezer. It's not good for entertaining, but will help keep food frozen.

ok here's the list of what i have for a power outage..
butane lighters.
kitchen matches
long steam lighters
4 oil lamps
1 small camping lantern that uses 3 AAA batteries
1 3A flashlight
1 3A headlamp
1 rechargeable lantern
1 3A flashlight
1 eton am/fm/weather band radio with solar panel hand crank and power cord.power cord can be used at a electric outlet or usb port
1 portable and rechargeable jump starter.with a usb port and car lighter..it's good for recharging my eton radio,cell phones ,nook color,and rechargeable lantern
6 AAA batteries
15 AA batteries

lamp oil for oil lamps

and some place to go if needed
back up generator and fuel for it

i gathered up my flashlights and other items in which i hadn't messed with in i dont know how long..now i have more items then i remembered..
butane lighters.
kitchen matches
long steam lighters
5 oil lamps
1 small camping lantern that uses AA batteries
2 AAA flashlights
1 AA headlamp
1 AAA headlamp
3 push on/off led lights AAA batteries.1 is at the garage door,for when we'll be getting home after dark..
1 2D flashlight
1 handcrank AM/FM radio flashlight

1 rechargeable lantern

more AAA batteries
lamp oil and burners for oil lamps

some place to go if needed...
back up generator and fuel for it..
more solar power battery chargers..
solar chargers for phones..(if needed)

Latest posts

Back