Pain relief stronger than aspirin in preps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanrose

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This is a difficult topic and I haven't seen it addressed, unless I missed it. We bought antibiotics online and keep them in our supplies. However, what if someone is badly injured and a hospital is either too far, or you can't get to it for one reason or another, and the person is really in agony? With the destabilization of the country now, we don't know what we may face. Look at the folks in NC - who would have thought that a hurricane would hit there, with such devastating fury? If anyone on here has ever endured something physically painful, I'm sure that your mind has pondered this. What if you or a loved one is badly injured, in unbearable pain, and you have nothing to treat it with?

Years ago we kept leftover pain relievers after dental or other procedures, but doctors prescribe very little for pain now. Years back, my husband's buddy was in his foolish years and was out with the guys and then drove drunk, and crashed his car, injuring himself badly. His wife told us that when she rushed to the hospital she could hear him screaming all the way down the hall. He was fortunate that he was treated immediately at a hospital but what if you can't get to one like what happened to the people in NC?

It's frustrating seeing these people abusing drugs on the streets of Kensington, while people who want pain relief for legitimate reasons have a hard time getting it.

I know that there is a doctor who does online appointments who will prescribe ketamine but I wouldn't use ketamine. I know that this is a sticky subject but others have had to think about this too. I've seen a few pharmacies overseas sell pain relief but I was wary ordering from them. Years ago people could buy pain relief over the counter and I think that it should return to that. I don't know why the medical system got a stranglehold on it but I think it's wrong.

All I stock is naproxen sodium, acetaminophen, hydrocortisone, lidocaine cream, and oral pain gel. I also stock Vodka which can certainly be a pain reliever when called on to be. Where I live the only things that will survive the apocalypse are rats, roaches and THC. There are more dispensaries than there are people with common sense.

I use high doses of iboprufin for normal stuff and two advil (naproxin) for the heavy duty pain. My wife likes the mix of any of those with acetaminophen or Tylenol.
The trick is to medicate immediately before the serious pain sets in. Some caffeine on top of the pills helps the effect. For the panic and self generated apprehension try some Dramamine. All over the counter.... The opioid epidemic and killer fentanyl has got so bad doctors and pharmacies get in trouble dispensing even a little to much of the good stuff.
I just had a tooth pulled and no painkiller whatsoever was prescribed.

I only have OTC stuff in my IFAK's, and a wide variety of those. We too saved prescription pain killers, usually from the dentist, but I think we used them all. I am either lucky of blessed to be able to tolerate high levels of pain, so it is not a priority for me.

All I stock is naproxen sodium, acetaminophen, hydrocortisone, lidocaine cream, and oral pain gel. I also stock Vodka which can certainly be a pain reliever when called on to be. Where I live the only things that will survive the apocalypse are rats, roaches and THC. There are more dispensaries than there are people with common sense.
That's a good idea, storing vodka. It would work in a pinch if you didn't have anything else. Thanks for the tip! I store the aspirin and ibuprofen etc. I keep a big box of Salonnpas which work great for pain. I use them for headaches and sprains etc.

Yeah probably the rats and roaches, mosquitos and ticks and all the things that vex the human race will survive the apocalypse. We have a lot of dispensaries here too but I tried it and it doesn't work too good for pain.

I use high doses of iboprufin for normal stuff and two advil (naproxin) for the heavy duty pain. My wife likes the mix of any of those with acetaminophen or Tylenol.
The trick is to medicate immediately before the serious pain sets in. Some caffeine on top of the pills helps the effect. For the panic and self generated apprehension try some Dramamine. All over the counter.... The opioid epidemic and killer fentanyl has got so bad doctors and pharmacies get in trouble dispensing even a little to much of the good stuff.
I've tried the higher dose of ibuprofen but it doesn't work on severe pain. Good tip about the caffeine - I've seen Excedrin with caffeine. I never heard that about Dramamine - does it slow down the fight or flight system? It sounds plausible because I think that there is something called a "wind-up."

It's a shame that the opioid and fentanyl epidemic has hurt legitimate pain patients. A reporter from CA, Gary Webb, broke the story that the CIA was behind the drug epidemic, not doctors. It's a shame that they ruined his life for telling the truth.

I felt sorry for the vets who have been denied relief after their bodies were mangled in wars.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2004-dec-12-me-webb12-story.html

I only have OTC stuff in my IFAK's, and a wide variety of those. We too saved prescription pain killers, usually from the dentist, but I think we used them all. I am either lucky of blessed to be able to tolerate high levels of pain, so it is not a priority for me.
I asked my doctor that because I do not tolerate pain well - I have a very sensitive system. The doctor told me that some people have a natural ability to tolerate pain. I wonder if it's that you may have more natural endorphins. Consider yourself blessed.

After I underwent major surgery the doctor grossly under-treated my pain. All he gave me were about 5 weak Norco after my flesh was cut open with surgical knives. I used to advocate for the humane treatment of animals, and I fought vivisection - cutting of an animals flesh without pain relief. In my worst nightmare, I never thought that I would become a victim of human vivisection.

My eyes were opened to the demonic insanity that these doctors are following now. It was one of the worst experiences in my life. My husband was a supervisor, and had to fly home to return to work, leaving me in a rental, recovering. I was on the opposite side of the country and had no one to advocate for me, or no way to even get to the hospital. It was bad planning on our part but we didn't foresee the doctor being a gestapo about prescribing humane relief. I rolled back and forth carrying on. To this day I can't understand why no one in the complex called police. I really saw how this country has devolved into insanity and inhumanity.

When my husband flew back and saw the condition I was in his face turned white. He took me to the ER and all I saw was a sea of foreign faces. I was doubled over in pain and not one man stood up to offer me a seat. I couldn't believe it. My husband told me to lay in the car and he would wait inside for me to be called. I laid outside in the car rolling around in agony and a cop came up and banged on the window and told me to move the car. I told him that I couldn't move anything and he said I had to move! I felt like I was in a nightmare. Someone told my husband that the foreigners go there for free medical care and told him to take me to another hospital.

That experience showed me that this country has been broken down in every way imaginable.

I would just feel more secure knowing that I have something to alleviate severe pain in the event of an unforeseen accident. Mr. Marsh gave me a good idea and I'm going to have my husband pick up several bottles or a case of vodka to put in our preps. I hope that everyone does this because I wouldn't want anyone to endure anything like what I did.

A couple years ago my wife fell and broke her leg, ankle and foot in several places. She was in a lot of pain. We didn't have anything stronger than aspirin. I picked her up and put her in the back of the Jeep and heading to the hospital. Our road is extremely rough and have 3 gates to go through and the hospital is at least 3 hours away on dry roads. She was lucky that the road was clear, sometimes after a big storm it can take several days to a week or more for me to clear the road.

Advil has a nice mix of ibuprofen and acetaminophen out OTC now. I keep it on hand when I have enough pain to need it, and I do have chronic back pain. I prefer not to go any stronger than that.

Also, CBD is fairly good as a topical pain reliever. It's not great, but it can help.

I think I have a high toleration for pain. I also have some prescription pain killers from when I had my appendix removed last year. I doubt I ever have pain bad enough to take them...........they scare me more than pain does.

A couple years ago my wife fell and broke her leg, ankle and foot in several places. She was in a lot of pain. We didn't have anything stronger than aspirin. I picked her up and put her in the back of the Jeep and heading to the hospital. Our road is extremely rough and have 3 gates to go through and the hospital is at least 3 hours away on dry roads. She was lucky that the road was clear, sometimes after a big storm it can take several days to a week or more for me to clear the road.
I cringed when I read that - I'll bet she felt every single bump. I think that this is something important that we may be overlooking. You never want to have happen to you what happened to me.

Look at what just happened in NC. I'm sure a number of those people were badly injured. I never realized how powerful rushing water is. It shocked me seeing the gnarled and twisted metal beams. It's enraging that they stopped people from going in to help those people. When you're in agony, every second drags on.

I think that we should all try to obtain something and/ or buy enough vodka to outlast a bout with severe pain. I'm going to get my husband to buy a good amount since it doesn't go bad.

years back my 976 yr old dad went to doctor for pain relief--was offered a script but he didnt want them as he didnt want to get addicted as h e read happens to elderly. . this doc told him if he took a 500mg acetaminophen and a 200mg ibuprophen it is a good as an average pain pill. not perfect, probably wouldnt work great for say after surgery but it helped him for many years. both of these are easy to stock up on now. he would buy a bottle of 500 of each type then just combine so hed only have to deal with 1 bottle.

i take 1 of each at bedtime to help with aches and pains over night and it makes a very good difference.

might be all one can get in the long run

Back