Pallet Jacks (maybe we need a tools and equipment category?)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave V

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
My grocery uses an LPG forklift on the loading dock to unload pallets from 18 wheelers and we use another in the store basement to lower the pallets from the loading dock into the basement and also to rotate pallet-based stock between the store and the facility. It is preferable and safer not to be driving an LPG forklift into the facility, except into the isolated stock area where the pallet flow racks are. In hydroponics, which is at the far end of the facility, the stewards have always depended on a LPG forklift to "bring them" their IBC containers full of liquid fertilizer rather than try to use a manual pallet jack to drag it all the way over from the grocery basement. Now we have a battery-powered (LiFePO4) pallet jack that anyone can use. It turns on a dime and easily lasts all day. And best, the electric brake is smooth and effective. So, if you move a lot of heavy stuff, consider something like the EKKO EP20JLI. I would avoid a regular Lithium battery jack just because a fire is never worth the risk. There are also plenty of other brands out there that have less capacity and cost a lot less. The only complaint has been that the manual jacks are WAY quicker...the electric crawls, but I think that's good because it gives them more thinking and stopping time. It's definitely safer than barreling through on a manual jack with almost 3000 pounds of liquid fertilizer.

Attachments

• EKKO.png
    EKKO.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 4
Every grocery store in Bama had one had one of these in the back. I was 'the guy' that kept them running.
4,500 lb capacity and inexpensive, easily replaced golf-cart batteries made sure you got tired long before it did.

AdupQMDo-45bf5a67-702f-4567-9ced-f3f976401432.jpeg

I spent 45 years on a forklift.
In between driving trucks (early on) and driving a desk (at the end).
In my cement floored barn I have two manual style pallet jacks. Just because they were being disposed of. They worked fine so they came home with me.

I can drive a forklift, I see no reason why an ordinary person needs a forklift, manual or otherwise, thats solely for business.

The forklifts are very useful on farms. Manual pallet jacks would be for concrete floor barns. But I'd as soon have a FEL with pallet forks for my little tractor
A tractor with front end loader and back hoe is a dream of mine. Sure would save me a lot of digging.

I am allowed to dream.

Ben

I have a fairly large baker fork lift, it is one handy tool, if you do what I do you need a fork lift. Although if i get it stuck I need my winch tractor. I can really see where a good battery powered pallet mover would be very handy inside a building though

A tractor with front end loader and back hoe is a dream of mine. Sure would save me a lot of digging.

I am allowed to dream.

Ben
think outside the box a little, there are lots of older ditch witch R65 size vintage out there, way cheaper than a bandaid tractor loader with a bandaid back hoe, or an older industrial tractor with an industrial loader and industrial back hoe, sure it might need a bit of attention, but they were built to last

I operated manual & electric pallet Jacks, electric & LPG forklifts in warehouse & as a maintenance person.
I never repaired them, wwe had a contractor for that.
I PM the LPG welder & used a stand up lift also.

Latest posts

Back