Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a black powder cannon once. I made it out of pipe and then put a cap on the muzzle to keep it quieter. Even with the cap in place it made a lot of noise and then I couldn't find the cannon. ;)

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

I have always wanted a cannon. I want to see you shoot it.

I had one once; not a nice one like Highwall's, though. We got to visit our grandparents in Montana when I was about six. They took us to a Piggly Wiggly, that name stuck with us for having a pig on the store and it being the first grocery we ever saw.

Short story longer, we picked out a box of pirate cereal for a treat because it came with a little plastic cannon inside. It turned out that those little lady finger fire crackers grandpa bought us fit in the back end just right. We had a sack of little tiny
BB like, hard candies we loaded in the business end.

It worked so well that we put dents in grandma's spoons which we were using for targets. The cannons would blow up after 3-5 shots. Grandpa kept us well supplied with Captain Crunch and grandma was blind, so silly us thought she didn't know what we did to her silverware.

She set us straight when they came to Canada for a visit. They brought us lots of Captain crunch and we blew those cannons up as well. We all should have been missing fingers or blind in one eye. It was a real bummer when they banned fire works here.

Glad we can still do them on our driveway. Got a bunch ready to go, and some ladyfingers, too. The grandkids would love a mini cannon. I haven't seen a toy in a cereal box in ages. And if guns are bad, I doubt that cannons (even mini ones) would be considered better.

The flag, and the republic it stands for support even the uneducated and uncaring.
Even under the feet that trample it it is a reminder that we have rights that have been paid for in blood.

It makes my blood boil and my heart swell to see but the flag still supports the weight of this ignorant fool.
In any other country he would be put in prison but here, in the USA, his rights are more important than the feelings we have for the flag.

Rather than use it to diminish our rights I would pass a law that makes it mandatory to teach what that flag truly stands for, how many have died to protect what it stands for, and the republic, the only republic, that gives people the right to speak poorly of it all, including trampling on that icon of freedom and liberty.

Our country is not so fragile that it can be threatened by disrespecting it's flag, it's leaders or it's people. In China and many other countries people are tortured and killed for that because the country is more important than the people, but the opposite is true here.

Rather than use it to diminish our rights I would pass a law that makes it mandatory to teach what that flag truly stands for, how many have died to protect what it stands for, and the republic, the only republic, that gives people the right to speak poorly of it all, including trampling on that icon of freedom and liberty.
I'll add to your law.
Before their 20th birthday, all male AND female citizens must complete military basic training. I'd use Parris Island as the template for their boot camp. They'll learn respect for themselves, their elders, their country and their flag. ;)

This almost looks like an area my DW and I were in while elk hunting on a road that headed east at the bottom of Kenosha Pass, which is at the south end of South Park, the South Park area is full of lakes and streams which were great for fishing, the elk hunting was awesome in that area as well.
Sorry I meant North end, getting old does things to the brain.

I'll add to your law.
Before their 20th birthday, all male AND female citizens must complete military basic training. I'd use Parris Island as the template for their boot camp. They'll learn respect for themselves, their elders, their country and their flag. ;)
Parris Island would have been a whole lot tougher than what I went through at Lackland AFB but even that helped me.

Our country is not so fragile that it can be threatened by disrespecting it's flag, it's leaders or it's people. In China and many other countries people are tortured and killed for that because the country is more important than the people, but the opposite is true here.

Just 60 years ago after WW11 not many would have stomped on a flag but once before soem patriot would have stomped on their ass..

Just 60 years ago after WW11 not many would have stomped on a flag but once before soem patriot would have stomped on their ass..
My dad would have been one. During the German occupation.
He would have been the one saying that if you are a German with a gun, you die.
They did that.
But they also taught the Germans how to hunt deer. So they wouldn't starve.
They would have to have guns to do that.
So much history is lost.
We did not shoot every German with a gun.

Last edited:
My dad would have been one.

I'm from Atlanta and one night at a driv in theatre some kid had a nazi looking cross on back of his car.
About 10 WW11 vets walked up to the car and ask the kid if he knew what that emblem meant.he said he just though it was cool,they took it off his car waved a fist and left. We couldn' here all that wa said. That was about 1964. Kid or no kid they would have hurt him if he even slightly rejected,they were fighting mad. Anti nazi possy got together in the concession stand.Word spread fast into parking lot.:D:thumbs:

That looks like Ozzie Osborn! :)

Latest posts

Back