Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember there was a kid from my school who went out waterskiing on some swampy area with his family. He fell into a cottonmouth nest-- multiple snake and they were not happy. He didn't survive.
Not knowing where that was, I have seen photos of rattlesnake hunts in South Dakota when homesteaders were settling. If people knew where a nest was, there could be a hunt to take many of them out.

I don't know why, but snakes that were killed would be hung on fences. I have seen photos of fences with more than 100 snakes. They would have those snake hunts because of people and livestock being bitten and not surviving.

This photo is from 1964. 400 snakes were killed in two days, and 200 were taken live, likely for venom extraction.

rattlesnakes on a fence.jpg

You have a lot of interesting stuff to see on your walk pictures. Is all this stuff within walking distance of your house? Or do you sometimes drive to of these unique walking locations?
No, I walk to walk, unlike others who drive 1 mile, then walk 3 miles. This "Madonna of the Trails" is about 6 blocks from my home. I hear there are 7 others around the US, all paid for by the Daughters of the American Revolution. Don't quote me of the exact number, but I know many drive around the country taking pics of them all.

Hanging dead snakes on fences....
my favorite cousin says that will send rain
Yes, I've heard that too.

When the mosquitos are just driving you crazy, you just want to shoot them. I remember when I was a kid and would scratch and scratch my mosquito bites until they got infected. Now I know to put baking soda paste on insect bites.

shooting mosquitoes.JPG

If You have Neosproin use that also...!!!

Yes, I've heard that too.

When the mosquitos are just driving you crazy, you just want to shoot them. I remember when I was a kid and would scratch and scratch my mosquito bites until they got infected. Now I know to put baking soda paste on insect bites.

View attachment 157098
I have one of those big a-salt rifles.

Attachments

• IMG_2333.png
    IMG_2333.png
    720.4 KB
Thermacell

Thermacell Mosquito Portable Repeller; Includes 12-Hour Refill; 15 Foot Zone of Protection; Highly Effective Mosquito Repellent; Deet Free Bug Spray Alternative; Scent Free https://a.co/d/0g6fbbqK

We can climb into mosquitoes infested hollers and they clear out.

Ben

Not knowing where that was, I have seen photos of rattlesnake hunts in South Dakota when homesteaders were settling. If people knew where a nest was, there could be a hunt to take many of them out.

I don't know why, but snakes that were killed would be hung on fences. I have seen photos of fences with more than 100 snakes. They would have those snake hunts because of people and livestock being bitten and not surviving.

This photo is from 1964. 400 snakes were killed in two days, and 200 were taken live, likely for venom extraction.

View attachment 156970
You can make shoes - belts - purse with those skins

Twin photo of Bernard, a fox hound, one of the dogs I take to the park. Someone uses photos of the same dog, and puts them together in a photo. Bernard turned 7 last November. He is a memorable dog. He loses his mind about city buses. He escaped from his owner once and chased a bus down the street. When a bus goes by, everyone knows it remembers him.

Bernard, twin.JPG

Have you taken it 'Big Game Hunting'?
You have to upgrade your ammo...
Garnet media is about 10 times the density of kosher salt and it packs quite a punch.
(Read the notes under the video on YouTube, garnet does take a toll on your gun)

I actually have 2 guns, one for flies, and one for 'Heavy-duty' :D.

I haven’t but Balota tried to kill a wasp with the salt rifle. It didn’t faze the wasp.
Yep. Most you can can do is damage a wing because they wear armour.
You need buckshot for those devils. :thumbs:
With garnet media, I can take the wings and a few legs off of them.

Last edited:
Have you taken it 'Big Game Hunting'?
You have to upgrade your ammo...
Garnet media is about 10 times the density of kosher salt and it packs quite a punch.
(Read the notes under the video on YouTube, garnet does take a toll on your gun)

I actually have 2 guns, one for flies, and one for 'Heavy-duty' :D.

Yep. Most you can can do is damage a wing because they wear armour.
You need buckshot for those devils. :thumbs:
With garnet media, I can take the wings and a few legs off of them.
How does the garnet media ruin the gun?

It "looks" small, but this is a full tri-axle dump truck load of dirt I had delivered this morning.
Prettiest dirt I ever bought. Not as nice as old manure but still. I've already moved and spread out about 1/3 of it. An absolute pleasure as it was clean, dry and spread very easily.
1720556852634.png

How does the garnet media ruin the gun?
It is an abrasive and as the plastic post moves up in the 'ammo container' and back down, it scores the sides of it, and it soon stops sliding up and down smoothly.
But while it works, the 'big game' ain't safe! :oops:.
My kill after a few blasts of garnet media:
41773-IMG-2402-c.jpg

You can see the pink color of the 'buckshot' behind the head.:thumbs:

While looking for a section of creek to paddle my kayak in I had to go through several miles of dirt roads and I came across 4 of these old wooden bridges that I haven’t seen since I was a child.
View attachment 157287

That's the kind of place i go to hunt plants. In fact i think i see yellowroot on the far creek bank in your photo.

That's the kind of place i go to hunt plants. In fact i think i see yellowroot on the far creek bank in your photo.
Very well could have been. Im sure there’s lots of wild edibles and medicinal plants in that area. I went through probably around 20 miles of dirt road with very few homes and never went by another single vehicle.

Latest posts

Back