Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is that swap locust called water locust? i dont see swamp locust listed in denderology listing of locust
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleditsia_aquatica

a searches link doesnt work...go here to see locusts..type it in common name section to see results
https://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/factsheets.cfm

View attachment 162672
Yes, same thing (Gleditsia aquatica). On that Wikipedia link you gave, it has both names listed. Actually it is a species of honey locust, (honey locust is a global genus, Gleditsia, not a specific species). The more common honey locust in the US is the thorny honeylocust (Gleditsia triacanthos)

To anyone who liked my snek photo, she said it was a water mocassin, I don't know that for sure.
Water moccasin is the first thing that came to mind. Even without being able to see the head to confirm a triangular shape. I've run into enough of them. That short, fat, dull black body gives them away. A triangular head and white mouth confirms identification, but just looking at that body - for anyone who has been around many of them - you're 99.99% sure what it is. And you don't really want to mess with it either. They will stand their ground.

Water moccasin is the first thing that came to mind. Even without being able to see the head to confirm a triangular shape. I've run into enough of them. That short, fat, dull black body gives them away. A triangular head and white mouth confirms identification, but just looking at that body - for anyone who has been around many of them - you're 99.99% sure what it is. And you don't really want to mess with it either. They will stand their ground.
Thank you! There may be a creek nearby, but they've got lots of dogs that could get hurt by it. They killed it. Those snakes are so tubby. It wasn't aggressive though. It has been getting into the mid 70s during the night, I guess cool enough to keep them slower. My daughter was pretty sure it was a venomous water mocassin.

Latest posts

Back