Post-SHTF DPF network

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carhugger_prep

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This is just an idea but what if **** does hit the fan and one of us has to bug out? My idea is trading areas in our towns, cities, or somewhere near our BOL or home and code phrases incase someone does have to bug out. With this someone could still have a safety net of a fellow DPF member and possible safe haven even if it is temporary.

It is just a thought.

This is just an idea but what if **** does hit the fan and one of us has to bug out? My idea is trading areas in our towns, cities, or somewhere near our BOL or home and code phrases incase someone does have to bug out. With this someone could still have a safety net of a fellow DPF member and possible safe haven even if it is temporary.

It is just a thought.
not a bad idea. but I think this should be a more exclusive code which probably should not be in public domain. Just sayin'

Its been discussed by some members, the challenge is OPSEC and as Myrrph pointed out not a public domain issue. I think your looking at three hurdles here, one people willing to give their personal information, the locale of their BOL or Bug in locale, and any security codes/plans on how to ingress into that person's locale. I could throw out some more things, but this was what has been rolling in my head since I discussed this with another member. I just haven't had time to focus on it as of late. Who knows maybe someone else has come up with an idea to make that happen, but like I said, it are those 3 hurdles.

i agree that this aint something for public domain and all..but yet,this is something that can be discussed up to a certain point here all the same thoe..and as for code phrases goes..that is something that should be discussed face to face..and among fellow preppers only..and with no possibilities of any one else hearing what is said..and thats where meet n greets come in at.be it 2 or more at a time.in which each of them pass on things that are agreed on..code phrases aint the only thing we can go with.like we can wear a certain shirt or pants,that has something on it to identify who we are..and i do agree that we do need to come up with a means of indentifying our selfs to fellow preppers...

no problem here..on account things like this does need discussing,.especially when it comes to meeting up with fellow preppers..

I'm just going to drive (or ride a bike or a horse with a cart behind me) and when I get to areas where I know other DPF members are - Northern Georgia, gonna bypass Atlanta (sorry Loomis), maybe Florida, definitely Texas - I'll just take my handy-dandy giant magic marker and write "QuietH3art" on the side of a building and hide with my binoculars and see if someone else comes along and does the same with their DPF name. Then I'll reveal myself :D . I'll be the one trying to travel with goats, chickens and a huge amount of disguised food and medicines. ;)

Oh, and I forgot, I'm getting my Baofeng radio today or tomorrow so I can call out on that, too. If SHTF, who's going to enforce HAM rules, right?

This has come up a time or two before. There have been some ideas, but as mentioned, we can't really put out a word or phrase that is on public domain and expect it to be understood. I think we're best off communicating it in small groups, and also coming up with alternatives in case you come across folks who aren't in your particular group.

QuietH3art, once again has a good idea here. I only worry that someone could see this post and use it as a booby trap, pretending to be her. This is a great reason to not travel alone, though. If at all possible, have a group of trusted folks that can keep an eye on you from afar while you go in to check things out. If they see you talking with QH, you could signal them that it's okay. If it's not really her, then at least they could either plan to come for you, or get away if they aren't likely to be successful.

It's a great topic, and one that is going to take a lot of thought and work to come up with some good concepts.

Shoot, guess I need to post a real picture of myself. I won't be hard to miss. But I do need to get an atlas as I realized that there are a lot of big cities I'll need to circle around on my way to anywhere.

yup,keeping distance to big citys is best as they are big problems

The reality is that if SHTF, I probably won't be able to get near to any of you. I have read a lot of SHTF fiction and I've seen a number of different ways that groups arranged to meet up after. It almost always comes with booby traps and ambushes - but it's fiction, too. How exciting would reading it be if everything went smoothly? The bottom line is those of us who have a secure location (not me) have to decide whether we are going to let anyone else in and then let that willingness be known. Those people have to decide who they are going to let in and private message them with details of how to meet up.
I'm going to be in trouble, for sure, as I have everything but security - a couple of knives and some pepper spray aren't much defense. My best bet is going to be to go to either my son-in-law's place or an old friend that I know lives out in the middle of nowhere - a dead end road off a dead end road. He'll be completely unprepared so might very well be glad to see me. I am probably way out of radio range for anyone on this forum, too.

we'll be in alot of trouble anyway my friend, our preps just make it slightly easier for us

might wanna try a gps unit as well as a atlas.this way you'll have 2 ways of planing your route

i hear that tom tom is a pain to have and use.on account a landmark is needed,like a intersection,, for getting to a certain location.but then again.it could be a diff gps im thinking of

I prefer paper and generally this is what I use, atlas road maps and the topo 1:24,000 usgs quads, 1:50,000 and 1:12,550 scale maps, protractor, M-2 Compass, stocker & yale compass and brunton eclipse gps compass and of course my older magellan gps 310 (only for marking points or when in the lava beds since a compass doesn't work in the beds)

I have a post here somewhere that details my ideas for being a trading post, and how to handle that all important first contact. Will have to see if I can dig it up (or someone else beats me to it). Nothing is fool-proof, but I think it covers most concerns as well as it can.

Ya I knew there were flaws like that I just wanted to through it out there because if I didn't it would keep appearing because of my ADHD.

Hey stick with your idea, I am not trying to quash the idea. Like I said, just that its been talked about. Jim has some great ideas, we've bounced it off. I just got busy with the family issues this past week and owe some people some PM's...so keep it up Car...your on the right track.

Here is the website for the USGS maps, Quiet...just in case.

http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/maps.html

I prefer paper and generally this is what I use, atlas road maps and the topo 1:24,000 usgs quads, 1:50,000 and 1:12,550 scale maps, protractor, M-2 Compass, stocker & yale compass and brunton eclipse gps compass and of course my older magellan gps 310 (only for marking points or when in the lava beds since a compass doesn't work in the beds)

Maverick,

Correct me if I am wrong on the website....but this is where I download mine and then run to Kinko's to have them printed on larger print maps...then have Kinkos or Office Depot laminate them for me.

Pretty much the scales you've recommended is what I've been able to secure. I don't think USGS sells those heavier weighted ones you could buy back 30 years ago do they?

Where is a good place to find 1:50,000 maps?

The 1:50 is hard to fine, I got mine from the USFS not from over the counter sales, the 1:50 is for certain application that fit my needs and that my stocker & yale compass is for 1:50 maps, the closes you will get from the USGS today is 1:62,500 1:63,360 most commercially available topo maps are 1:24 the difference between the 1:50 and the 1:24 is 260 meters, you can still find the 1:50 scale but anymore the USGS is using 1:62, 1:63, the hardest map to find is the 1:12 this was also given to me, it is that map I have use to mark a lot of caves.

For the one's wanting prints: http://www.geospatial.com/store/type/country/term/usa/text/united-states/

Last edited:
not sure if the prepper patch was discussed here. but a symbol to denote a prepper post shtf would be good. It can be covered and only shown when we want to identify like minded people.

Being an underground movement of sorts, it can remain in discussions on what the patch should actually look at but as what some members have said. Use your common sense. Don't just open your homes at the sight of the patch or code word or what not. Watch, analyse and decide.

Thinking about it it is obvious none of us would post our Post-SHTF meet-up locations and code phrases on here. It is like why mess up our OPSEC or PERSEC? It would be stupid. I was just throwing the idea out there. Ya I have mentioned specific locations on here that I think would be great bug out locations that I know personally but I wouldn't go straight to them because I have told the world about it.

It may be a trick weeding out wearers of it who acquired it for other motives.

Latest posts

Back