Questions on body armor handling?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simmons

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
There really needs to be a place for asking questions here if there isn't one already.

I have zero experience on body armor what so ever and have a few questions maybe those more experience could help with.

-What body armor offers the most protection against all types of ammunition?
-How do you assemble a chest rig?
-Can level III body armor and level IV armor plating be worn together? If so, how?
-Who makes the best body armor?
-What do I need to know about vests, carrying rigs and all that?
-What other kinds of bullet protection options are there besides chest and head armor?
-About helmets, which I know even less about, what kind of bullet proof helmet offers the most protection?
-What do I need to do and know to prepare my armor for a combat situation?
-How long do bullet proof vests and plates last? Do they have an expiration date? Or do they last indefinitely as long as they're not damaged in combat?
-How do I build a chest rig? Including other accessories that will fit onto a rig like pouches, ammunition pouches, equipment and the like? What would you recommend?
-Unrelated question about gas masks while we're on the topic of armor and protection. What gas mask offers the best protection against all chemical attacks including nerve toxins and the like?
-How do I maintain my gas mask?

I intend to use all of this only in the case of home invasion during a major crisis or breakdown of law and order in which defense may be necessary.

Please answer these questions to the best of your ability, if you can't answer a question, please answer all that you can. Give me links to online guides if you have them and if you have additional information it would all be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,I belive Silent Bob has a pdf on gas-masks,check it out! abt chest-rigs,you can also get them ready made,saves you the trouble of assembly and wearing a chestrig allowes you easy carry for a backpack or do you refer to a plate carrier where you put your pouches for mags and other?
but wearing body-armor makes you hot,so remember to drink, my vest has a pouch for ballistic plate,first it felt kinda strange to wear one,but now,don't do any work if not wearing it

Last edited:
Hey Simmons,
Check out the german IDZ system. I handled it for years and I can not say one bsd thing about it. There might be better ore more advanced vests out there by now, but it always did its job for me.
I had one quite similar to the one in the picture below.
uploadfromtaptalk1404040883059.jpg

There really needs to be a place for asking questions here if there isn't one already.

I have zero experience on body armor what so ever and have a few questions maybe those more experience could help with.

-What body armor offers the most protection against all types of ammunition?
-How do you assemble a chest rig?
-Can level III body armor and level IV armor plating be worn together? If so, how?
-Who makes the best body armor?
-What do I need to know about vests, carrying rigs and all that?
-What other kinds of bullet protection options are there besides chest and head armor?
-About helmets, which I know even less about, what kind of bullet proof helmet offers the most protection?
-What do I need to do and know to prepare my armor for a combat situation?
-How long do bullet proof vests and plates last? Do they have an expiration date? Or do they last indefinitely as long as they're not damaged in combat?
-How do I build a chest rig? Including other accessories that will fit onto a rig like pouches, ammunition pouches, equipment and the like? What would you recommend?
-Unrelated question about gas masks while we're on the topic of armor and protection. What gas mask offers the best protection against all chemical attacks including nerve toxins and the like?
-How do I maintain my gas mask?

I intend to use all of this only in the case of home invasion during a major crisis or breakdown of law and order in which defense may be necessary.

Please answer these questions to the best of your ability, if you can't answer a question, please answer all that you can. Give me links to online guides if you have them and if you have additional information it would all be appreciated.

Thanks

Okay, I am sure their are many that will weigh in and I hope they do. Since I've got a bit of spare time, I will try and answer the best to my ability what your asking. Please keep in mind, it comes down to personal preference, what you consider a threat, how comfortable you are with a particular apparatus. If you don't believe me..see the 1, 2, and 3 point thread that we have in the firearms forum. Their is no wrong or right, just a personal preference....stealing from my friend Roninsensei. Check his great video and you'll begin to understand my slant on certain preps and yes, sure as you can call me BOB, I am sure someone will have a different opinion. That's why we call this site a forum, mind you I am a bit more cynical than most, maybe too many times hitting my head after a jump, rappel or just walking into doors...lol.

So lets break this down with the mask. First, I know their are those that love those cheap $#% gas masks made in Czechoslovakia like the old M-17 gas mask...wonder why the U.S. crapped out on them, because no one in the military could get those filters changed in the time required to get them changed out in a contaminated environment. While the Air Force was one of the first to start looking for a substitute because aircrews disdained the M-17, they ended up with the MCU-2P. Dont' get me wrong, the NATO circular filter is great and the MCU-2P gives you great vision both peripheral and front vision, but in combat because your opponent can latterly tear it away from your face, is not my first choice for use in combat. Finally the Nattick boys came up with a great replacement for the M-17, modeled off the M-17, but with a circular NATO CBRNE filter. This eventually after some design feedback became the M-95. You can find some good quality MCU-2P's and M-40's from some very reputable mask companies. Personally, I'd stay away when it comes to CBRNE equipment away from those GI surplus stores. When you purchase the mask, use the following documents to inspect them. I've attached them for your use and for others who decide they need the T.O's. Here is the only challenge that we all have...quantitative testing for leaks. Unless you have a test kit (made up of swabs and concentrated oil (smells like oranges), your not going to know if the mask leaks. So my SOP states the filter mask is a mask for use to get out of a contaminated area, I'd make sure I wasn't working in the contaminated zone using these masks.

So now is where I am going to get hit by those that don't believe in the CBRNE issues....I have a PAPR mask for my entire family. I advocate them for my team members, but like I said, its cost prohibitive, but the PAPR offers one thing cartridge masks don't...that is they provide positive air pressure around the entire inside of the mask, preventing contamination from entering the mask. The only issue I'd recommend not using is when your dealing with a virulent virus...in that case the only alternative is what the Self Contained Breathing Apparatus...these are very expensive, unless your a volunteer fireman or an active fireman. Not even Law Enforcement guys have these...typically you will see the CDC folks wearing them in a unknown outbreak until the virus or suspected antigen is confirmed.

As for the rest of the CBRNE gear...you should have a suit (JSLIST are the best, but expensive), if not any charcoal impregnated suit (with a good expiration date), butyl rubber gloves with at least three pairs of cotton inserts, over boots (rubber like the galosh type, make sure you have a size that is one size up to save you from taking them off later), and in the case of the mask, a hood that matches the mask. Also, I'd get some tape...even duck tape will work (used to seal your gloves and boots to the over garment. If you plan to do any sampling of said, virus...then I'd be looking at a level suit or bubble suit.

As for best mask that protects you...can't say, nor recommend one over the other...that is a person's preference...but when you buy your cartridge, make sure they fit the mask and are rated CBRN with at least a 2 to 3 year shelf life. Store them in a cool, dry and dark place, make that a policy for all your CBRNE equipment. Store them in an airtight container and do not store them in the garage near chemicals. Note any exposure to heat, like food will cause the cartridge to lose their shelf life. I store all my CBRNE equipment in the home, in a temperature controlled environment and ask my kids to remove their mask in the summer from their BOB bag and make them carry it back/forth from their rig. Also intense heat cause the rubber on the mask to dry out and make the mask unserviceable.

I use this company and 3M directly for most of my CBRNE stuff. http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/

Chest Rigs. well that's like you asking which company is has the best armor...like buying a car or pickup. How much money do you have? What style do you like. Remember when the military buys our stuff, we get mostly the lowest bidder..that is how GSA and the rest buy the mil standard stuff. As for what to carry, well you'll need at least a IFAK, magazine pouches that match your magazine/weapon. I wear a detachable map case and a few other Molle items. Since I don't have to worry about gernades as a civilian, they do make an excellent storage item for a compass, a small survival kit, and yes I know, but allows me to attach a water mule to the back of my rig.

So chest rigs. Here are a few videos...Just remember I am not in love with Maine Prepper, but since I don't make videos. LOL love the Hand Model..inside joke between Roninsensei and me. You can google other sites or just look at the manufacture site, they normally have a great marketing videos.

My first body armor was the old style Point Blank stuff, I wore a standard LBE over it. In my deployment to Iraq I wore a MSA Paracleat RAV that my wife bought for me. As I said the military buy from the lower bidder...standard issue. Now I own Cyre Precision gear, a bit more costly, but well again a preferenace issue. I'll give the German's credit for the "Fritz" helmet...the first generation of Kevlar helmets were bulky and well not always operationally suited for the line of work of urban warfare. Since the early 2000's companies have perfected the design to the point...that today, any company with the latest generation of Kevlar helmets...will improve your survivability. I've seen some great ballistic videos on different helmets, so again its wearers preference and well cost. Please remember I am not a salesperson, I just got some good feedback from my friends who bought the Cyre stuff and they made me a believer...also its lots less weight on the noggin compared to the old Fritz Kevlar and I have about 6 or 7 of them in different sizes in by storage unit. You can pretty much pick them up anywhere.

http://www.cryeprecision.com/C-119/Armor-+-Equipment

As for body armor....well definitely don't wash the darn thing, it will degrade the inner soft armor. As for your comment regarding the Level III and Level IV plates worn together. Why would you? I would stick with the Level IV with an early manufacture date and inspect it thoroughly....for me that means buying it directly from the company. Any cracks or anything that looks like out of the ordinary....yeah, some guys will paint over the scratches to make them look new. Me, they are unserviceable, but sure you want to wear two...good luck...just seems like a bunch of weight.

Well I am out of steam for writing today...I am sure their are many that will weigh in...good luck. By the way...just my thoughts, but when your number is called, doesn't matter how much body armor you wear, its your day, its you day. It wasn't my day, when we hit an IED in Iraq and it wasn't my day, when my chute got fouled up in the early 80's.

Have a blessed day.

Attachments

• TM_3-4240-339-10.12645728.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • m40a1_gas_mask_manual.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 191519.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Okay, I am sure their are many that will weigh in and I hope they do. Since I've got a bit of spare time, I will try and answer the best to my ability what your asking. Please keep in mind, it comes down to personal preference, what you consider a threat, how comfortable you are with a particular apparatus. If you don't believe me..see the 1, 2, and 3 point thread that we have in the firearms forum. Their is no wrong or right, just a personal preference....stealing from my friend Roninsensei. Check his great video and you'll begin to understand my slant on certain preps and yes, sure as you can call me BOB, I am sure someone will have a different opinion. That's why we call this site a forum, mind you I am a bit more cynical than most, maybe too many times hitting my head after a jump, rappel or just walking into doors...lol.

So lets break this down with the mask. First, I know their are those that love those cheap $#% gas masks made in Czechoslovakia like the old M-17 gas mask...wonder why the U.S. crapped out on them, because no one in the military could get those filters changed in the time required to get them changed out in a contaminated environment. While the Air Force was one of the first to start looking for a substitute because aircrews disdained the M-17, they ended up with the MCU-2P. Dont' get me wrong, the NATO circular filter is great and the MCU-2P gives you great vision both peripheral and front vision, but in combat because your opponent can latterly tear it away from your face, is not my first choice for use in combat. Finally the Nattick boys came up with a great replacement for the M-17, modeled off the M-17, but with a circular NATO CBRNE filter. This eventually after some design feedback became the M-95. You can find some good quality MCU-2P's and M-40's from some very reputable mask companies. Personally, I'd stay away when it comes to CBRNE equipment away from those GI surplus stores. When you purchase the mask, use the following documents to inspect them. I've attached them for your use and for others who decide they need the T.O's. Here is the only challenge that we all have...quantitative testing for leaks. Unless you have a test kit (made up of swabs and concentrated oil (smells like oranges), your not going to know if the mask leaks. So my SOP states the filter mask is a mask for use to get out of a contaminated area, I'd make sure I wasn't working in the contaminated zone using these masks.

So now is where I am going to get hit by those that don't believe in the CBRNE issues....I have a PAPR mask for my entire family. I advocate them for my team members, but like I said, its cost prohibitive, but the PAPR offers one thing cartridge masks don't...that is they provide positive air pressure around the entire inside of the mask, preventing contamination from entering the mask. The only issue I'd recommend not using is when your dealing with a virulent virus...in that case the only alternative is what the Self Contained Breathing Apparatus...these are very expensive, unless your a volunteer fireman or an active fireman. Not even Law Enforcement guys have these...typically you will see the CDC folks wearing them in a unknown outbreak until the virus or suspected antigen is confirmed.

As for the rest of the CBRNE gear...you should have a suit (JSLIST are the best, but expensive), if not any charcoal impregnated suit (with a good expiration date), butyl rubber gloves with at least three pairs of cotton inserts, over boots (rubber like the galosh type, make sure you have a size that is one size up to save you from taking them off later), and in the case of the mask, a hood that matches the mask. Also, I'd get some tape...even duck tape will work (used to seal your gloves and boots to the over garment. If you plan to do any sampling of said, virus...then I'd be looking at a level suit or bubble suit.

As for best mask that protects you...can't say, nor recommend one over the other...that is a person's preference...but when you buy your cartridge, make sure they fit the mask and are rated CBRN with at least a 2 to 3 year shelf life. Store them in a cool, dry and dark place, make that a policy for all your CBRNE equipment. Store them in an airtight container and do not store them in the garage near chemicals. Note any exposure to heat, like food will cause the cartridge to lose their shelf life. I store all my CBRNE equipment in the home, in a temperature controlled environment and ask my kids to remove their mask in the summer from their BOB bag and make them carry it back/forth from their rig. Also intense heat cause the rubber on the mask to dry out and make the mask unserviceable.

I use this company and 3M directly for most of my CBRNE stuff. http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/

Chest Rigs. well that's like you asking which company is has the best armor...like buying a car or pickup. How much money do you have? What style do you like. Remember when the military buys our stuff, we get mostly the lowest bidder..that is how GSA and the rest buy the mil standard stuff. As for what to carry, well you'll need at least a IFAK, magazine pouches that match your magazine/weapon. I wear a detachable map case and a few other Molle items. Since I don't have to worry about gernades as a civilian, they do make an excellent storage item for a compass, a small survival kit, and yes I know, but allows me to attach a water mule to the back of my rig.

So chest rigs. Here are a few videos...Just remember I am not in love with Maine Prepper, but since I don't make videos. LOL love the Hand Model..inside joke between Roninsensei and me. You can google other sites or just look at the manufacture site, they normally have a great marketing videos.

My first body armor was the old style Point Blank stuff, I wore a standard LBE over it. In my deployment to Iraq I wore a MSA Paracleat RAV that my wife bought for me. As I said the military buy from the lower bidder...standard issue. Now I own Cyre Precision gear, a bit more costly, but well again a preferenace issue. I'll give the German's credit for the "Fritz" helmet...the first generation of Kevlar helmets were bulky and well not always operationally suited for the line of work of urban warfare. Since the early 2000's companies have perfected the design to the point...that today, any company with the latest generation of Kevlar helmets...will improve your survivability. I've seen some great ballistic videos on different helmets, so again its wearers preference and well cost. Please remember I am not a salesperson, I just got some good feedback from my friends who bought the Cyre stuff and they made me a believer...also its lots less weight on the noggin compared to the old Fritz Kevlar and I have about 6 or 7 of them in different sizes in by storage unit. You can pretty much pick them up anywhere.

http://www.cryeprecision.com/C-119/Armor-+-Equipment

As for body armor....well definitely don't wash the darn thing, it will degrade the inner soft armor. As for your comment regarding the Level III and Level IV plates worn together. Why would you? I would stick with the Level IV with an early manufacture date and inspect it thoroughly....for me that means buying it directly from the company. Any cracks or anything that looks like out of the ordinary....yeah, some guys will paint over the scratches to make them look new. Me, they are unserviceable, but sure you want to wear two...good luck...just seems like a bunch of weight.

Well I am out of steam for writing today...I am sure their are many that will weigh in...good luck. By the way...just my thoughts, but when your number is called, doesn't matter how much body armor you wear, its your day, its you day. It wasn't my day, when we hit an IED in Iraq and it wasn't my day, when my chute got fouled up in the early 80's.

Have a blessed day.

Excellent, I will get much use from this.

well Simmons,you got a bunddle of info already.
had absolutely forgotten that bit about ;do not wash your body armour. only wash the outer layer when needed 'cause with mine I can take them apart,that's the good part about this community,if you forget something someone else will remember :)

There is a place for questions. That's what this whole forum is for. Post a question just like you did here, except I might advise that you break it down into separate threads so each can be addressed in depth without making a book of a thread. It will also help other members in the future who are searching for info. Long threads are very difficult for most people to sort through, and if they contain multiple topics, it's nearly impossible for most folks.

Great questions and great info from SilentBob, jontte, and Marv.Schmitz87. This link will have some redundant info and some things that may clarify what Bob was telling you about in his post.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevlar_vest

I personally have experience with covert vests in LevelIII, with the exception of overt tactical vest in LevelIV, which is very bulky and plainly obvious. That may not be an issue, but for some, wearing covert protection helps conceal that you need protection, reducing the likelihood of becoming a target. A celeb doesn't have the luxury of being discreet because everyone knows who they are. There are some rich people who are very inconspicuous, which reduces their chances of becoming a target. I'm not sure if you even care whether or not it is concealable, but it's something I wanted to mention.

Also, my experience with levelIV is with plates/inserts/slips that are added to levelIII armor.

Truthfully, I think the first step is to decide what are the actual intended uses for it. Like anything, life is easier with the right tool for the job. Not everyone can actually wear body armor regularly, and some folks only want it in case SHTF, in which case, concealment may not be an issue. If you're thinking of wearing it against home invasions ONLY, then concealment shouldn't be a problem, but maneuverability very well may still come into play.

As far as expiration dates go, yes. They do have expiration dates. There are opinions that vary on it greatly, though. Some think it's a way for armor manufacturers to get you to continue purchasing expensive kit from them, while others feel it's not worth rolling the dice. I have even heard some "Scientific" data on how kevlar wears down over time. Certain things like washing, wet-dry cycling(From sweating) and even bending it out of shape can break down the materials. How true is it all? Dunno. I've never been shot with or without armor, but if you are truly depending on it, spending a thousand bucks or so every 5 years isn't necessarily a bad idea.

There is a place for questions. That's what this whole forum is for. Post a question just like you did here, except I might advise that you break it down into separate threads so each can be addressed in depth without making a book of a thread. It will also help other members in the future who are searching for info. Long threads are very difficult for most people to sort through, and if they contain multiple topics, it's nearly impossible for most folks.

Great questions and great info from SilentBob, jontte, and Marv.Schmitz87. This link will have some redundant info and some things that may clarify what Bob was telling you about in his post.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevlar_vest

I personally have experience with covert vests in LevelIII, with the exception of overt tactical vest in LevelIV, which is very bulky and plainly obvious. That may not be an issue, but for some, wearing covert protection helps conceal that you need protection, reducing the likelihood of becoming a target. A celeb doesn't have the luxury of being discreet because everyone knows who they are. There are some rich people who are very inconspicuous, which reduces their chances of becoming a target. I'm not sure if you even care whether or not it is concealable, but it's something I wanted to mention.

Also, my experience with levelIV is with plates/inserts/slips that are added to levelIII armor.

Truthfully, I think the first step is to decide what are the actual intended uses for it. Like anything, life is easier with the right tool for the job. Not everyone can actually wear body armor regularly, and some folks only want it in case SHTF, in which case, concealment may not be an issue. If you're thinking of wearing it against home invasions ONLY, then concealment shouldn't be a problem, but maneuverability very well may still come into play.

As far as expiration dates go, yes. They do have expiration dates. There are opinions that vary on it greatly, though. Some think it's a way for armor manufacturers to get you to continue purchasing expensive kit from them, while others feel it's not worth rolling the dice. I have even heard some "Scientific" data on how kevlar wears down over time. Certain things like washing, wet-dry cycling(From sweating) and even bending it out of shape can break down the materials. How true is it all? Dunno. I've never been shot with or without armor, but if you are truly depending on it, spending a thousand bucks or so every 5 years isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Alabaster is right about breaking it down into different threads. When I started writing your back on your questions, my mind drifted...lol, maybe I have issues.
Alabaster did a better job explaining the body armor, I guess when I read your initial question regarding chest rig, I was thinking your were either going to get a body armor type that would allow you to config most of your chest rig to the armor. He is very right regarding the covert or undergarment style vest. I wear one as a teacher and in that case, the manufacturer was pretty adamant on how long they would be able to last. I bought a refurbished one, weighing the risk vs replacement price. In regards to this type you have to be very specific in addressing your needs to the customer service representative. I opted for one that provides a level of protection for knife and a higher level for rifle rounds. The only other time, I wore the undergarment type was as a PSO/aide for my general officer. You would be very wise to take his suggestion about how to decide what its intended use is and definably decide how much you want to spend on said article based on threat and reality of use. Thanks for responding to this one my friend!

and propably some of you guys have some experience about those vests used in service,not so light and quite bulky I think.
a covert vest gives you protection,in some areasnot so much as those heavy and bulky vests the armed forces use, but you move somewhat lighter.
I'll move if I have to "fairly quick" according to my fellow workers, one said that from total apathy to 60 in less than 1sec ;)
so I was thinking if you intend to use it mainly at your place/house where mobilty is a good thing, think about the covert vest and go for a separate chestrig

Personally, I think it's cheaper (and more practical, from a SHTF perspective), to have the kind where you insert the plates. For me, money is an issue, as I have numerous people to protect, so I'm looking for a deal when ready to buy these (right now, just other preps higher on the money list). Other nice thing about plates, can consistently add to it, so can do piecemeal.

Helmet wise, I have some old Army surplus helms for the purpose. They don't look swanky, but they'll do the job well enough.

Are you seriously going to don a chest rig for home invasion? Too much time. Me, I grab a pistol for the pocket (yeah, I know, but it's a time thing), and a shotgun, and lock the bedroom door on the way out (we replaced all bedroom doorknobs with exterior, key locking ones). Post SHTF, you'll look military or paramilitary with a chest rig, which may not be a great idea....(I favor the "gray man" philosophy, myself).

Gas masks, check the CDC recommendations. But remember, the gloves, etc. and all else you'll need if prepping for that.

"Preppin' ain't easy!" HAhahaha reminds me of an old song.

-What body armor offers the most protection against all types of ammunition? -- Not sure if you're limiting your question to soft body armor. Your budget will dictate this as much as anything else. You should only consider soft armor to be rated for handgun calibers, and even then it wont cover all calibers or loads.

-How do you assemble a chest rig?-- Its user preference; that's the good thing about rigs. They are plug and play, there are so many configurations

-Can level III body armor and level IV armor plating be worn together? If so, how?-- I have extra panels of soft armor backing up my SERPA plates in my plate carrier. There was room in the carrier to accommodate the soft armor. You may find that whatever brand you pick may not allow you that option.

-Who makes the best body armor?-- that's a matter of personal opinion ; )

-About helmets, which I know even less about, what kind of bullet proof helmet offers the most protection?-- Once again, there are so many options out there your budget may dictate what you wind up with. I consider helmets to be more protection against bashing your head in and a platform for NODS than ballistic protection.

-What do I need to do and know to prepare my armor for a combat situation? -- wear it while you shoot or otherwise train.

-How long do bullet proof vests and plates last? Do they have an expiration date? Or do they last indefinitely as long as they're not damaged in combat?-- manufacturers generally put a 5 year life span on soft armor, but if the panels are maintained well they should retain their protection well past that date.

-What body armor offers the most protection against all types of ammunition? -- Not sure if you're limiting your question to soft body armor. Your budget will dictate this as much as anything else. You should only consider soft armor to be rated for handgun calibers, and even then it wont cover all calibers or loads.

-How do you assemble a chest rig?-- Its user preference; that's the good thing about rigs. They are plug and play, there are so many configurations

-Can level III body armor and level IV armor plating be worn together? If so, how?-- I have extra panels of soft armor backing up my SERPA plates in my plate carrier. There was room in the carrier to accommodate the soft armor. You may find that whatever brand you pick may not allow you that option.

-Who makes the best body armor?-- that's a matter of personal opinion ; )

-About helmets, which I know even less about, what kind of bullet proof helmet offers the most protection?-- Once again, there are so many options out there your budget may dictate what you wind up with. I consider helmets to be more protection against bashing your head in and a platform for NODS than ballistic protection.

-What do I need to do and know to prepare my armor for a combat situation? -- wear it while you shoot or otherwise train.

-How long do bullet proof vests and plates last? Do they have an expiration date? Or do they last indefinitely as long as they're not damaged in combat?-- manufacturers generally put a 5 year life span on soft armor, but if the panels are maintained well they should retain their protection well past that date.

Another good answer. Thanks. I hope this thread can help other people as well.

I agree with Silent Bob on everything.. There are what I call poor man and functional options I recommend to family and friends that don't have the money to spend on armor or want to send their kids to school with some form of bullet proofing. This is a great option..

http://www.hardwirellc.com/solutions/school/inserts.htm

Their inserts are amazing for IIIA protection, and they weight less than a pound!

These panels can be cut to size as body armor as well, all you need is a jig or band saw. In the U.S. I carry these in my bug out bag because they'll stop all handgun and shotgun rounds, and wearing it keeps my six safe. If the threat is from the front just wear the pack in the front.

that's nice!
I can think more things to use other than the backpack also, but that it's so lite is great

Those inserts are pretty cool, and fairly affordable too. If I had a school-age kid, this would SO be sewn into their backpack. In fact, I'm recommending it to my friends who do have school-age kids.

I kno wwhat I do when I'm home from work today...it will be e-mails sent and a silent prayer tha post. and pack wouldn't be sky-high

I apologize that I was cut off on my last reply. As I was saying, the head makes a more difficult target than does the torso if for smaller cal. single or double action rifles.
Get in the real heat like auto-fire weapons and point and squeeze weapons, they'll take Your head off with or without head gear.
Incidentally, fireman's gear is really good stuff these days. It may be worth it to find an outlet that supplies fire and emergency services. The new head gear is extremely resistant to all types of threats and is comparable to the combat headgear. It may be available at a better cost. Also, beware of cheap imitations. Lots of marketers are trying to make a buck on preppers since it is currently a growing market. I wouldn't be too surprised to find "body armor made in China" out there.
I'd like to encourage You to keep looking for the answers. I believe any good question deserves a good answer.

Latest posts

Back