"REALISTIC" Water solution for 238, million humans in 72 hours.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
"YES"...Yes, I know all internet prepping for survival forums, list dozens of ways to get water to a few humans. So, I deleted 100, million humans in America that have close access to at least three reliable sources of potable water. That still leaves 238, million people that urgently need water.

I'm thinking there is no solution to get water to hundreds of millions of humans in America. "NOT" looking for this thread to list short term solutions for a small amount of humans. Many cities with 10, million people, Entire coastlines with 90, million people.

I have been thinking about the large amount of information that sounds like a solution but is not remotely realistic.

Assume no electric, no way for cities to pump water, no realistic solution for the many millions who do not have a hot water heater. Many may not have a toilet with a water closet. Why do we keep offering "FEEL GOOD/SOUNDS GOOD" solutions that are not realistic..??

There is no way to accomplish what you want with the restrictions that you place on the answer. The Romans built aqueducts but that required concrete and that requires energy to produce.

its reasons so many cities are on a river,lake or coastline was water for drinking and transportation.

its reason homes were built not in spots people wanted but at spring sites. if a property had a year round spring it fetched more money.

in my area the oldest more original home sites have water always. i know of an old place on top of mtn. the reason they lived there was water flowed out top of mtn.

water flowing under ground often refered to as 'piping' is a funny thing. i know in worst drought in my area i found a spring on top of another mtn right on tip top during it and it was still flowing water out it even though many springs lower had dried up 3 months earlier. all the piping is not connected under foot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_water_supply_system

Early years​

Until the eighteenth century, New York City solely depended on primitive means, such as wells and rainwater reservoirs to collect water for daily use. The first public well was dug in Bowling Green, New York, in 1677, and the first reservoir was built on the east side of New York in 1776 after the population grew up to 22,000.[3]

Collect Pond, or "Fresh Water Pond",[4] was a body of fresh water in what is now Chinatown in Lower Manhattan. For the first two centuries of European settlement in Manhattan, it was the main water supply system for the growing city. Later, the city was aware of its deteriorated water quality, owing to its rapid population growth (60,000 to 200,000 from 1800 to 1830), which had a considerable danger of causing epidemics.

In April 1831, a new water supply and distribution system opened, for fighting fires. It included a well and cistern on 13th Street between Bowery (today 4th Avenue) and Third Avenue, which was then at the northern fringes of the city.[a] The well was immense—16 feet across and 112 feet deep—blasted largely through rock, resulting in a quarry of over 175,000 gallons of water. A steam engine had the capacity to lift nearly half a million gallons a day. An octagonal iron tank, 43 feet in diameter and 20 feet high was installed atop a 27-foot-high stone tower. Mains under Broadway and the Bowery delivered the water to hydrants on Pearl, William, Hudson, and a dozen other major streets, in six-, ten-, and twelve-inch pipes, delivering water to a height of 60 feet above the highest streets.[5]

The Old Croton Aqueduct was opened for public use in 1842, and apart from a few inspections during the Civil War era the system has been running unceasingly ever since. In the late 1800,additional aqueducts were systematically installed in to meet the increasing demand.

Last edited:

Old and New Croton Aqueducts​

Further information: Old Croton Aqueduct and New Croton Aqueduct
The city's first aqueduct, the Croton Aqueduct, was built during 1837 to 1842, from the Croton River in Westchester County, down to Manhattan, a distance of 41 miles (66 km).[6] The Old Croton Aqueduct's capacity was around 90 million gallons per day. To meet the city's growing needs, the city started construction of the New Croton Aqueduct in 1885.[6] The new aqueduct opened for operation in 1890 with a capacity of 300 million gallons per day.[7]

Catskill Aqueduct​

Further information: Catskill Aqueduct
In 1905, the city's newly established Board of Water Supply launched the Catskill Aqueduct project, which would play an additional role in supplying the city's ever-growing population of residents and visitors. Construction of the system began in 1907. Portions of the Catskill system began operation in 1916, and the overall system of dams, reservoirs and tunnels was complete by 1924.[8] The Schoharie Reservoir was added to the system and began operation in 1926.[9] The Catskill system has an operational capacity of approximately 850 million gallons per day. Within the city's overall water system, the Catskill Aqueduct is the furthest away from the city, approximately 125 miles (201 km).[2]

Delaware Aqueduct​

Further information: Delaware Aqueduct
The Board of Water Supply submitted a request to the Board of Estimate and Apportionment in 1927 to use the Delaware River as an additional water source for New York City. Even though the request was approved, the Delaware Aqueduct project was delayed due to a Supreme Court case filed by the State of New Jersey to prevent the State of New York from using the Delaware River as a water source. New York won the case in May 1931 and construction of the Delaware Aqueduct began in March 1937. The aqueduct was completed in 1944. From 1950 to 1964, Rondout, Neversink, Pepacton, and Cannonsville reservoirs were established successively to complete the Delaware System.[6] The Delaware Aqueduct supports half of the whole city's water usage by supplying more than 500 million gallons of water daily.

There is no way to accomplish what you want with the restrictions that you place on the answer. The Romans built aqueducts but that required concrete and that requires energy to produce.
i am going to see if i can find it and not sure of exact name. but romans built water systems in places where they dug deep wells actually more like cisterns at a point and then running out from there in all directions for 100's of feet or more was drain tile pipes. it was sorta like french drain but instead of getting water away from area it collected the ground water and it flowed to well/cistern.

this came out 3 weeks ago from sergio and rhoda in israel. it shows some fantastic footage of the way it was back in the day. they show the water system for the city..i forget name..but the cisterns got filled when water was running by city and they diverted into the underground cisterns. i have seen hige cisterns in many old locations in middle east. they done some work chiseling them things out back in the day.

But if most of America is grid-down, how do you suddenly get water to 338 million humans. In 72 hours...???

My point is that seducing millions of preppers and public that there are simple solutions, is sick.

But if most of America is grid-down, how do you suddenly get water to 338 million humans. In 72 hours...???

My point is that seducing millions of preppers and public that there are simple solutions, is sick.
its a good question...but notice some of the systems providing water still does and no power. so theres going to be water to certain points in city.

the city in africa that was about out of water awhile ago...2 or 3 years. they functioned on just the few springs that flowed for drinking water till rains came. they just had to pack it on back,car,cart etc. depending on financial status and means they had.

look into gaza and you will see reality of low water...and solutions.

one answer wont fit all.

Tunnels and distribution system​

Tunnels​

From the Hillview reservoir water flows by gravity to three tunnels under New York City. Water rises again to the surface under natural pressure, through a number of shafts.[14] The three tunnels are:

1. New York City Water Tunnel No. 1, completed in 1917.[14] It runs from the Hillview Reservoir under the central Bronx, Harlem River, West Side, Midtown,[14] and Lower East Side of Manhattan, and under the East River to Brooklyn where it connects to Tunnel 2. It is expected to undergo extensive repairs upon completion of Tunnel No. 3.
  2. New York City Water Tunnel No. 2, completed in 1935. It runs from the Hillview Reservoir under the central Bronx, East River, and western Queens to Brooklyn, where it connects to Tunnel 1 and the Richmond Tunnel to Staten Island. When completed, it was the longest large diameter water tunnel in the world.[25]
  3. The partially-completed New York City Water Tunnel No. 3, the largest capital construction project in New York City's history (see Ongoing repairs and upgrades).[26] It starts at Hillview Reservoir in Yonkers, New York then crosses under Central Park in Manhattan, to reach Fifth Avenue at 78th Street. From there it runs under the East River and Roosevelt Island into Astoria, Queens. From there it will continue on to Brooklyn.

Most "ALL" of Anchorage, Alaska and Eagle River, and I assume the two large military bases all are on a gravity fed water system. With no electric, the water purification systems might not function. But water could be available.

Mostly, you don't, they die. You either have the means to collect and save rainwater, have a spring/creek/well to deliver/haul water to the house, or mostly NOT, and the NOTS pay the ultimate price.

There are NO simple easy answers.

I am not sure exactly what you are asking? Why do you need to supply all these people with water, and where exactly are they? I know how to build water supply systems ( former civil engineer, my PE was in water resources) so I could probably tell you but need more info. Is this a grid down longterm scenario for the entire US? If that's the case a lot of people in the west will be screwed most likely

Mostly, you don't, they die. You either have the means to collect and save rainwater, have a spring/creek/well to deliver/haul water to the house, or mostly NOT, and the NOTS pay the ultimate price.

There are NO simple easy answers.
EXACTLY accurate. My point with this thread is there is "NO HOPE".....Period. So why do we keep telling hundreds of millions, "Don't worry, there is water in your electric heater (if you actually have an electric heater) also there is some in your water closet (part of old-style toilets). Tell them either move where there is abundant pure fresh water, gathered easily, year around or you're likely going to die.

1678896864875.png

Don't worry. It's just the neighbor trying to get a drink of water.

EXACTLY accurate. My point with this thread is there is "NO HOPE".....Period. So why do we keep telling hundreds of millions, "Don't worry, there is water in your electric heater (if you actually have an electric heater) also there is some in your water closet (part of old-style toilets). Tell them either move where there is abundant pure fresh water, gathered easily, year around or you're likely going to die.
Agreed.

These springs flow most of the but slow down in August.

Ben

Most "ALL" of Anchorage, Alaska and Eagle River, and I assume the two large military bases all are on a gravity fed water system. With no electric, the water purification systems might not function. But water could be available.
where anchorage gets it water

https://www.awwu.biz/about-us/frequ...wood, the water comes exclusively from wells.

Where does my water come from?​

• If you are a customer of AWWU and live north of the Anchorage bowl (for example Eagle River) then your water is obtained exclusively from the Eklutna Water Treatment Plant, which receives its water from Eklutna Lake.
  • If you are a customer living inside the Anchorage bowl area then the water is typically a blend of water from the Eklutna Treatment Plant, Ship Creek Water Treatment Plant and wells in the distribution system.
  • For AWWU customers living in Girdwood, the water comes exclusively from wells.

not entirely true even for new york city..it according to what i posted gets water regardless and it was designed to even have pressure up to certain heights. its several million gallons a day just from one.the second one even more etc.

some places have different designed systems. i know some systems actually produce electric as water passes through it.

recently i seen a system that has a very small pipe size but it T's off into pelton wheels producing electric and returns to water main.

so they will have some electric and plenty of water. i seen some very large variations to this as well.

"YES"...Yes, I know all internet prepping for survival forums, list dozens of ways to get water to a few humans. So, I deleted 100, million humans in America that have close access to at least three reliable sources of potable water. That still leaves 238, million people that urgently need water.

I'm thinking there is no solution to get water to hundreds of millions of humans in America. "NOT" looking for this thread to list short term solutions for a small amount of humans. Many cities with 10, million people, Entire coastlines with 90, million people.

I have been thinking about the large amount of information that sounds like a solution but is not remotely realistic.

Assume no electric, no way for cities to pump water, no realistic solution for the many millions who do not have a hot water heater. Many may not have a toilet with a water closet. Why do we keep offering "FEEL GOOD/SOUNDS GOOD" solutions that are not realistic..??
Being realistic, the powers that be want to reduce the world's population (NWO and their puppets), so if they have so many people thinking that everything is okay, and then for those of us who know everything is not okay, S is going to hit the fan sooner or later, and very few will be ready or prepared, and the culling of the world population will happen.

If the powers that be truly control rain and other moisture through cloud seeding or whatever means they use, then they truly can control the world's population. Ever wonder if all this moisture is being manipulated now? Ever wonder if the droughts are part of their manipulation? Is it to see how the population responds, if they do? Is it to see what people can do to survive?

And most people are so conditioned that they are able to turn on the tap and get their water. And then there are those of us who have set up water collection systems, our own water storage set ups, no matter how inadequate they might be.

Don't we all have hope, and that is why no matter how meager our attempts are, we are doing something? I think this is true not just for water, but for food, and all of life's needs. I often wonder who here might be the most likely to survive, and who will be the first to go, no matter how much effort has been put into preparing.

Sourdough, you have your isolated property and keep adding to your storage, but what if SHTF and you develop cancer or have a heart attack? Life is just a gamble, and we know not our time on this earth.

Sourdough, you have your isolated property and keep adding to your storage, but what if SHTF and you develop cancer or have a heart attack? Life is just a gamble, and we know not our time on this earth.
People say this constantly on "Prepping" forums. But it is just "NOT" relevant to Prepping. It is a totally different thing.

People say this constantly on "Prepping" forums. But it is just "NOT" relevant to Prepping. It is a totally different thing.
I agree. But I do have a heart attack kit and I showed the wife how to shock me if the heart stops with the welder and some paddles I made. Cancer, is what it is and will do whatever I can naturally. But, If society is gone and I get hurt its either gonna kill me or it isn't and that could be I starve because I can't walk any longer.

Reactions: Neb
Back