Running coyotes off the property?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Has anyone been successful in running coyotes off their property using non-lethal means? I want to try this before killing them. Thinking of going after them with a BB gun to see if they get the hint. This works well with bears. Also thought of shotgun rubber bullets, but I don’t want to spend that much money on a coyote. If the BB gun doesn’t work, I have other lethal options. Anything else other than BB’s? They have to go one way or another.

What problems are you having with coyotes? We see and/or hear coyotes here almost every day. I'm a trapper, and have been for over 50 years, and rarely will I trap a coyote on our own property. They do far more good than harm. We've never lost a chicken to coyotes and have only lost 1, 2 day old calf to coyotes.
The rubber bullets might work for awhile, but soon they'll get used to the sound and alter their movements. You could try trapping with foot hold traps and relocate them somewhere else. The thing about coyotes is they are very intelligent critters. Even if you could remove all the coyotes in your area, others will soon fill the void. Coyotes have been shot, trapped and poisoned for 150 years or so, and there are more coyotes today than ever before. In fact, they are constantly expanding their range.

Unchain that blood thirsty, saber-tooth "attack" Beagle.

That Beagle has been going into the woods after them and sooner or later they will gang up on him and corner him. They are playing a game of hide and seek with my dog so I want to put an end to it. Fortunately my dog returns when I call him.

What problems are you having with coyotes? We see and/or hear coyotes here almost every day. I'm a trapper, and have been for over 50 years, and rarely will I trap a coyote on our own property. They do far more good than harm. We've never lost a chicken to coyotes and have only lost 1, 2 day old calf to coyotes.
The rubber bullets might work for awhile, but soon they'll get used to the sound and alter their movements. You could try trapping with foot hold traps and relocate them somewhere else. The thing about coyotes is they are very intelligent critters. Even if you could remove all the coyotes in your area, others will soon fill the void. Coyotes have been shot, trapped and poisoned for 150 years or so, and there are more coyotes today than ever before. In fact, they are constantly expanding their range.

See my post above. For 9 years they have kept a respectable distance, but this small pack is the exception.

See my post above. For 9 years they have kept a respectable distance, but this small pack is the exception.
I see. We have a beautiful blond coyote here that walks around our house, sometimes everyday. Occasionally she will come in the yard and play with our dogs. Other times she sits in the front yard and looks at the house. We enjoy watching the coyotes here, but next week I'll start trapping coyotes on the high range to the west of us.

I've battled them for 20yrs. They don't take gentle hints! Kill them and hang the carcasses on the edge of your property where they'll be found. That will make them hesitant but only for a couple of weeks.

If you can find their den in early spring you'll have some luck if you use poison bait. The goal is to decimate the pack. Still won't get rid of them but they'll be fewer to cause damage.

In my state it's open season 365... anywhere, anytime.

Unchain that blood thirsty, saber-tooth "attack" Beagle.

No crap, when they first showed up three mornings ago my beagle grabbed his ball and trotted out across the grass field toward one coyote where he was just at the edge of the thick brush. Not sure if my dog wanted to play or show off that he had a ball and the coyote didn’t. Again, good thing my dog usually obeys my commands and he came back.

When they clean out the local snow shoe hares they will move on, but the hares have been plentiful this year.

Here they do more harm than good. It's not their native range. They've decimated populations of turkey, quail, rabbits etc. I haven't heard a quail in over 2 decades, small game is almost non-existent. Pets and small livestock are killed regularly. They also get mange, seen them looking haggard several times. They are the top predator here, except for man. No one but us to keep them under control.

Here they do more harm than good. It's not their native range. They've decimated populations of turkey, quail, rabbits etc. I haven't heard a quail in over 2 decades, small game is almost non-existent. Pets and small livestock are killed regularly. They also get mange, seen them looking haggard several times. They are the top predator here, except for man. No one but us to keep them under control.
Yes, I agree that they are a different critter in the more populated areas, and further east. In many of the areas I trap in I doubt if the coyotes there have ever seen a man before. I've lived on ranches and raised cattle, horses, chickens and pigs most of my life. Rarely have we ever had a problem with coyotes.
One issue that many areas are having with game bird populations is from coon, fox, mink, possoms, house cats and dogs. Of course coyotes will eat some too. Fewer people are trapping now days and that just adds to the problem. Predator populations are exploding in many areas, which will doom many ground nesting birds.

Last edited:
When they clean out the local snow shoe hares they will move on, but the hares have been plentiful this year.
Do you see many Lynxes there...??? I rarely see them, but their tracks are common in the snow.

Do you see many Lynxes there...??? I rarely see them, but their tracks are common in the snow.

They tend to be very shy, so seeing them is not an everyday thing. Every winter I see tacks everywhere. Absent snow, I see the results of their kills fairly often as well as their scat. Can hear them as well. They are after the same things the coyotes are after.

They are after the same things the coyotes are after.
I'll bet they catch and eat coyotes. They are much bigger, taller, and have huge feet for high-speed chase, especially on snow. I have read two eyewitness accounts of watching them kill Dall Sheep.

Has anyone been successful in running coyotes off their property using non-lethal means? I want to try this before killing them. Thinking of going after them with a BB gun to see if they get the hint. This works well with bears. Also thought of shotgun rubber bullets, but I don’t want to spend that much money on a coyote. If the BB gun doesn’t work, I have other lethal options. Anything else other than BB’s? They have to go one way or another.
If you kill one, the rest will flee and never come back, stinging one real good with a 410 will do the same, HOWEVER, Coywolves and Coydogs do not always follow the rule. I'd set up a block of tannerite on a pole, lure them in with food, and put the fear of the gods in them!

Has anyone been successful in running coyotes off their property using non-lethal means?
--- ---
NO... In my experience they are just as impossible to change bad habits as a bear.. They are as dangerous to livestock and people as bears, but don't have the strength to break down the shed door to do damage to livestock and feed as bears would..

When they clean out the local food source, rabbits, turkeys, grouse, squirrels, you name it.. They WILL come after local pets.. Yes... They do more damage than good.. They and the Lynx compete for the same prey animals.. The Lynx not being a pack animal will usually move on.. If they are not hunted down and eaten..

Carcass hanging on the fence... The best solution I have found.. Mother Nature is not pretty at times...

Unfortunately.. I've seen this a number of times before, both rural and urban..
You MUST be observant, diligent, patient, and most of all persistent to persevere..

What happens here is a cycle. Coyotes become and issue for pet owners and farmers. We declare war and put a big dent in the population. We have peace for a few years, small game begins to come back. But so do the coyotes, they have a surplus of wild game.

Then the tipping point happens. Coyote numbers get so high they wipe out small game. Then they turn on pets and small livestock… Once again war is declared and cycle starts over.

We’ve had good results going after dens with pups. Just after dark coyotes meet near the den and announce it to the whole world. They’ll yap for a half hour before the evening hunt begins… giving away the location of their den. This is also a good time to measure the strength of a pack, know how many are close by.

Edit to add... with coyotes here the small game numbers never get back to the numbers with just fox and bobcat as predators. I guess it's the new normal, shame. At least i can help a little...

Last edited:
BB guns

Keeping it short...

As a teen we shot wild boars in an enclosure with a BB gun ( forgive me for the sins of my youth). They didn't like the BBs at all. After running out of BBs we found they ran like all get out when hearing the BB gun being cocked.

Will it work for free range critters I can't say.

Worth a try?

Yup.

Ben

If I were within BB gun range of a coyote I'd want something much bigger. Any predator that gets that close to me is far too comfortable and threatening to me, my family, and pets.

I have a black bear that loves the garbage cans. I've had him up to the bedroom window more than once. The only thing keeping him alive is that he stays away from me when I'm outside, and I want my window more than I want him dead.

Option #1: nonlethal. Is there someone a ways off you don’t like? Get you some coyote scent and go pour it around their place.
Option #2:
1696902288442.jpeg

Some guys I knew in tn had discovered something about canines, killed countless coyotes. Remember the old ‘Black Lights’? could buy them in head shops years ago? Evidently coyotes can’t see light in that wave length. These guys I knew would bait coyotes for a week or so, get them checking a spot every evening.

Then they’d hang a black light in a tree and bait underneath. Coyotes are then visible to humans but they don’t know it… 😁

If I were within BB gun range of a coyote I'd want something much bigger. Any predator that gets that close to me is far too comfortable and threatening to me, my family, and pets.

I have a black bear that loves the garbage cans. I've had him up to the bedroom window more than once. The only thing keeping him alive is that he stays away from me when I'm outside, and I want my window more than I want him dead.

My 454 Casull is always on my chest this time of year. A bit overkill for coyotes, but they are not I wear it for.

They made there presence known about an hour ago. Just got back from trying to tag them but they scurried off. It didn’t last too long as it got dark before I got back. They know they are being hunted now.

Funny, just remembered something I do to keep coyotes from eating melons in the garden. It works great on deer, seems to work on coyotes too.

I run an electric fence about knee high. Then take a jar of cheap peanut butter and a plastic knife… smear a bit of peanut butter on the wire about every 10ft. Deer love peanut butter, can’t help themselves they have to lick, so do coyotes.
biggrin25.gif
Deer and coyotes stay away, deer will be gone for weeks, coyotes come back sooner.

How you could use that in your situation? I don’t know...

Someplace I have a thread on Wolves, and the time I watch 98 Wolves.
=== ===
Wolves.... A whole different thread I think.. However... Some places in eastern and north eastern Europe they have been having trouble with ...super packs... That being 40 or more animals... Obviously they are a significant danger.. It is only a matter of time before some where in North America has a similar problem..

Latest posts

Back