Running coyotes off the property?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, just remembered something I do to keep coyotes from eating melons in the garden. It works great on deer, seems to work on coyotes too.

I run an electric fence about knee high. Then take a jar of cheap peanut butter and a plastic knife… smear a bit of peanut butter on the wire about every 10ft. Deer love peanut butter, can’t help themselves they have to lick, so do coyotes. View attachment 117477 Deer and coyotes stay away, deer will be gone for weeks, coyotes come back sooner.

How you could use that in your situation? I don’t know...

We have thought about electric fencing but mostly to keep the moose off of the gardens. While it’s an option that would work, I don’t want to keep my dog fenced in. Still might do the electric fence to cover an area about an acre for the gardens.

=== ===
Wolves.... A whole different thread I think.. However... Some places in eastern and north eastern Europe they have been having trouble with ...super packs... That being 40 or more animals... Obviously they are a significant danger.. It is only a matter of time before some where in North America has a similar problem..

We do get wolves but not often. They follow the Nelchina caribou heard and the closest the heard gets to us is about 15-20 miles. Had a lone wolf that hung around all winter last year who stayed mostly in the river valley below us. We never heard a return howl, so probably an old one kicked out of his pack.

My uncle was hunting. He sat at the edge of a clearing and blew his deer call. He saw three wolves leave the woods, in a dead run, about a hundred yards from him, and headed straight for him. He shouldered his rifle and fired dropping the leader. The other two split off and ran in different directions. The dead wolf was about 20' from where my uncle was sitting.

Two friends of mine were hunting. She was hunting the valley and he was hunting the ridge line. Ed noticed a wolf stalking Rhoda. I never did ask what they did with the pelt.

What problems are you having with coyotes? We see and/or hear coyotes here almost every day. I'm a trapper, and have been for over 50 years, and rarely will I trap a coyote on our own property. They do far more good than harm. We've never lost a chicken to coyotes and have only lost 1, 2 day old calf to coyotes.
The rubber bullets might work for awhile, but soon they'll get used to the sound and alter their movements. You could try trapping with foot hold traps and relocate them somewhere else. The thing about coyotes is they are very intelligent critters. Even if you could remove all the coyotes in your area, others will soon fill the void. Coyotes have been shot, trapped and poisoned for 150 years or so, and there are more coyotes today than ever before. In fact, they are constantly expanding their range.
They have eaten my cats. Then they poop on my place. I'd get a big dog.

Buddy ( the donkey)!
This is true. I know at least 3 other people in my area who have livestock, horses, outdoor animals, etc. and they keep a donkey and the donkey keeps the 'yotes away. They are pretty bad and numerous. When I lived out in the country here I could hear them nearly every night. A neighbor's little dog was attacked by a pack when they let him out to pee in the dark of night.

They have eaten my cats.
If you get to kill one, leave him hanging up a couple of days, that pack won't be back! they're incredibly smart!

The b*tards have got a few of my kitties too. I "Judged" the last one and they went elsewhere. they remember where it's not safe. they remember who killed their buddies too!

Guard donkeys.... I have been around a number of people who had livestock guard donkeys... It seems that a donkey can do quite well against a fox, one or two coyotes... Faced by a pack of coyotes the experience is the donkey will likely get some wounds and would really benefit from some help with the situation... Again a wolf would be a big problem for a donkey to deal with.. Two or more wolves and a donkey would be in danger.. Fortunately I was available to ...intervein... on behalf of a donkey being challenged by a bear.. This more than once..
My 5 cents of experience...

Been here 73 yrs. I hear them all the but never seen one alive. My son-in-law sees them .
9UhFQs4.png

We have more 'yotes here in Central Iowa than we can shake a stick at. They've been thick since the late '80s when the big hog confinements started going up everywhere. A 2400 pig facility will naturally have a few pigs lost during a cycle and the 'yotes will feed on the carcasses at night. In my home county there are 400,000 pigs. Do the math...it's a coyote smorgasbord.

If you shoot them out of a square mile, two weeks later a new pair or pack will have moved in. If you shoot and miss, they just change tactics. They'll go nocturnal and stay away from place lights. They'll always circle downwind and they learn what a firearm smells like. You can't stay ahead of them.

In 2000, my hunting buddies shot nearly 100 out of a 40x40 mile area. We hung them on nails in the outside of his barn. During deer season we left a gut pile less than 200 yards from all those frozen carcasses and shot two more over it, under a full moon. Nothing will stop them but disease or famine. You can only kill as many as you can kill and hope it slows them down.

I was able to chase them off for now. Haven‘t heard them anywhere near for weeks. On the windless nights, I hear them down by the river where they belong. The hunting is better down there anyway.

Donkeys aren't a panacea. Locally only about 30% make good guard animals. Others can be a complete nuisance when handling cattle or feeding. Especially Jacks, and they've been known to kill calves too.

Before buying one to guard cattle I'd make sure it has a proven history. If it hasn't been tested I'd pass.

Many Jack donkeys have a tendency to want, try to ..herd.. Whether it is other livestock or you..

Sammy the donkey I was around had somewhat of the herding instinct.. He also loved attention.. He would take the gloves out of your coat pocket, the hammer with the wood handle out of a pail of tools, your jacket off the seat of the UTV and play with them.. Then look over your shoulder to see what you were fixing all the while wanting attention...

Many Jack donkeys have a tendency to want, try to ..herd.. Whether it is other livestock or you..

Sammy the donkey I was around had somewhat of the herding instinct.. He also loved attention.. He would take the gloves out of your coat pocket, the hammer with the wood handle out of a pail of tools, your jacket off the seat of the UTV and play with them.. Then look over your shoulder to see what you were fixing all the while wanting attention...
Buddy is a jack, he has mellowed out over the years about animals being in his pasture. He is now ok with the cats and deer. But he sounds the alarm if he sees dogs, coyotes, pigs, or people! If it's something that doesn't belong here, he pitches a fit!

Buddy is a Jack.... Pitches a fit...
-- --
Sammy donkey was that way also.. Mostly he would tolerate Winston the terrier size, 25lb short legged dog, but once in a while he would not want company..

Sometimes I would hang a dark color, sweaty T shirt on posts around the paddocks and near the barns... Don't know if it helped, but made me feel better to make the effort..

I had a horse and donkey, born a month apart, both male. Best buddies in the world... until they got about 2 1/2 yrs old. Then it was war!!! Non-stop. It didn’t matter how many times the 1000lb horse kicked the 400lb donkey’s butt he was ready for more! I had immense respect for the little jack no matter how much I questioned his sanity! 🤣

It began late winter, by summer they both had chunks of hide and hair missing. As another feeding season approached I knew this wouldn’t work. I also had a pasture full of cows and calves. When the 2 started fighting they didn’t care what was close by. Dangerous enough in open pasture… but fighting over feed troughs? Just a matter of time before they crippled a cow or killed a calf.

Made the phone call and Snip-Snip, they calmed down over a few months. Took that donkey time to accept the fact he wasn’t 10ft tall and bullet proof! 🤣

Hey John and you other ak folks how's the snow

We got hit pretty good. About 35 inches. Still digging out, but I did finally clear the half mile driveway to the road late yesterday to make it drivable. Fricken berms by the highway were 4 ft and wet. Snowblower kept getting clogged. Today I hope to get other areas that we use cleared.

What‘s your place like?

I had a horse and donkey, born a month apart, both male. Best buddies in the world... until they got about 2 1/2 yrs old. Then it was war!!! Non-stop. It didn’t matter how many times the 1000lb horse kicked the 400lb donkey’s butt he was ready for more! I had immense respect for the little jack no matter how much I questioned his sanity! 🤣

It began late winter, by summer they both had chunks of hide and hair missing. As another feeding season approached I knew this wouldn’t work. I also had a pasture full of cows and calves. When the 2 started fighting they didn’t care what was close by. Dangerous enough in open pasture… but fighting over feed troughs? Just a matter of time before they crippled a cow or killed a calf.

Made the phone call and Snip-Snip, they calmed down over a few months. Took that donkey time to accept the fact he wasn’t 10ft tall and bullet proof! 🤣
Buddy can't have any friends in with him. He never acted studdish around old Mama donkey. Those neighbors got a 2 yr old jack and he and Buddy did fine until.....one day they were playing over the fence and Buddy knelt down, grabbed one of the donkey's front legs and tried to drag him under the barbed wire fence. I broke that fight up with a manure fork, broke that too😮😃! We penned up the neighbor jack and they gave him back to the cousin they got him from! Jacks are rough!

Back