SHTF Clothes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weedy, I understand your issue with finding shoes that fit, but I would not dismiss Wal Mart out of hand. I found, almost by accident, Wal Mart carries shoes that are designed for the restaurant industry. I had to get a pair of black athletic shoes, for a part time job. I had absolutely no use for a pair of black athletic shoes other than this job, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money if the job didn't pan out. Long story short, both the job and the shoes were a Godsend. The shoes were very comfortable with non-skid soles, and very reasonably priced. I wore them at least four times a week, sometimes six times a week, and I went through two pairs in thirty years. Many other people I worked with complained about how uncomfortable their very expensive name brand shoes were, and I would just laugh. Nobody would believe I got mine at WalMart.
I would imagine that people who are on the lower end of financial abilities would buy their shoes at Walmart. I know someone who needed some work shoes and bought a pair there. He needed steel toed shoes. He told me they were not comfortable. I have no idea about how well they fit, and that can have a big impact on comfort.

When I walk into shoe stores, I am fitted with AA and if they have it, AAAA heels. My mother and her mother, my grandmother, wore similar sizes. My grandmother's shoes fit me when I was a young adult. I used to be an 8 1/2, when I was younger. Now, if I can find a 9 1/2, which is actually impossible, that would be my size of choice. I have to try shoes on and be careful about fit. On the days that I am doing lots of dog walking, my feet do swell a little.

I used to get shoes that were made in South America when I was teaching. They seemed to fit well. I wish I knew the name brand now. I really preferred slip on shoes, loafers, then. Now I wear sneakers every day, unless there is snow on the ground or if it is really cold out. Then I wear boots.

My latest sneakers are Adidas. Prior to that, had several pairs of Pumas. I do not necessarily need brand names. I need shoes that fit and are comfortable.

I buy strictly on quality. None of my Carhartt clothing is made in China, it may not be made in the US, but at least its not made in China. My Whites, Red Wing and Filson boats are made in the US. My Filson clothing is made in the US, as well as my leather gloves. Sorrels used to be made in Canada, not sure if they still are. I know my Morrell slip on boots are probably China made, but they are wearing well. In my opinion, quality is worth the little extra $$ that it costs.

Latest posts

Back