The Top Fears of Doomsday Preppers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
that results pdf has a lot of good questions n answers..and it makes a person take time to stop and think.

I was surprised by the answers though I wasn't for sure how people would have answered to begin with, I was expecting more of a paranoid government thrashing conspiracy type Q&A responses. This survey practically makes us preppers look normal and that's frightening in of itself ;)

"FBN’s Charles Payne on survey of the catastrophes Doomsday preppers think are most likely to occur in America in the next 25 years"

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/3839...day-preppers/?intcmp=fbfeatures#sp=show-clips

The survey itself PDF;

http://images.nationalgeographic.co...oomsday_Preppers_Survey_-_Topline_Results.pdf
I'm impressed that 41% thinks it's smarter to invest in supplies vs a 401k, from the fox survey. I still put in 6% into my 401, but I'll be honest I doubt if it will be worth anything in twelve years when I can retire. Just in case I'm wrong, I'll keep doing it though.

What I personally like is how 49% of Americans thought they were prepared and 51% felt they were not (number 12 on pdf) yet in another survey people thought 85% of Americans were unprepared (17). So 49% of people think they are prepared, but we as a whole only think 15% is prepared. So we can conclude that we as americans all think we are more better off than we actually are. We think something bad could never happen to us this half of us think we are fine. But when we look at other people we think that a small 15% of people are in okay shape. It is very interesting to ponder and really think about.

What I personally like is how 49% of Americans thought they were prepared and 51% felt they were not (number 12 on pdf) yet in another survey people thought 85% of Americans were unprepared (17). So 49% of people think they are prepared, but we as a whole only think 15% is prepared. So we can conclude that we as americans all think we are more better off than we actually are. We think something bad could never happen to us this half of us think we are fine. But when we look at other people we think that a small 15% of people are in okay shape. It is very interesting to ponder and really think about.
Most people don't have a good or realistic view of themselves. It's good to ask someone else for an impartial opinion occasionally, just don't get offended if they see things differently

These questions seem good on the surface, but really, they are poorly worded for achieving the actual information they are shooting for.

For example, the first question. Of course we'll see a major earthquake. Does that mean we feel that would be the SHTF trigger? No. So kind of misleading.

Then there's the one about 401K vs. supplies. Uhm...do BOTH?

And 62% of people thinking they would last more than 2 weeks on what is currently in their home? That result either means everyone is retarded, or it is a poorly worded survey question.

Just a couple of examples.

These questions seem good on the surface, but really, they are poorly worded for achieving the actual information they are shooting for.

For example, the first question. Of course we'll see a major earthquake. Does that mean we feel that would be the SHTF trigger? No. So kind of misleading.

And 62% of people thinking they would last more than 2 weeks on what is currently in their home? That result either means everyone is retarded, or it is a poorly worded survey question.

Though in the first question I thought was straight forward I don't believe a 'SHTF trigger' was part of the equation, it was pretty reflective of the sentiment here on the west coast, EQs are very high on the list here amongst preppers, SHTF can be localized not necessarily on a national level nor permanent, Andrew and Katrina come to mind.

401k Vs supplies, I believe that to be a realistic response, they where given only two choices but can answer only one, I think many preppers can relate to this struggle of preparing for disasters and preparing for retirement, when limited with funds its a struggle most must contend with, most preppers can't put life on hold, we must plan for the 'what if's' and for most it is a gamble, again, I think 401k Vs supplies reflects the financial struggle most of us deal with.

I know I can last 2 weeks easily without ever going outside of the house, My mom who doesn't even prep has enough water and food for two weeks but 62% does sound high, a lot of preppers here prep for EQs and keep the minimum 72hr kits, this is something we trying to change here, even in Cali they are now starting to recommend a two week supply, a 2 week supply should be bare minimum, this 72hr crap needs to go way of the Do-Do bird.

A 72hr kit, to me, is just to get home when at work, or otherwise away from home.

For the home, even prior to prepping, I tried to have a month's supply on hand.

Yeah I agree. The questions seen like they were "this or that" there wasn't really an option for both. But at the same time I think for some questions they were allowed to select more than one answer. So they got to "check all the apply." The reason I am concluding this is because it says they surveyed 1,007 yet, for several questions the "total" next to the answer adds up to more than 1,007. Which doesn't seem possible unless people were allowed to answer certain questions with one of more answer. The first questions is a really good example of what I am talking about.

did some digging here,our emergancy services recommend a 2week supply of food stuff if something happens,but it isn't actively "broadcasted" to the general population,you have to dig deep to find the info..with 72hrs,that's not much to live with..it only takes a small strike along the supply chain to the stores and they empty real fast,what if it lasts longer than 72hrs?? you get hungry real quick

3 days? contaminated water in portland oregon a few months back, in one day all the stores (including home depot that even wasn't in the affected area) was out of water in the affected areas, folks started to cross the river into washington looking for water by the second day, by the third day the city/county have setup water distribution centers (still had to travel) note, this was in good times when we still had an safe infrastructure for driving/traveling. It took a week to solve the problem, I believe the affected area was roughly 20k people.

Interesting point Maverick. If people turned on the tap and got nothing out, yeah, I'd wager stores would be empty of water in a day easy. I still think it would take about 3 days though, for the other items to be bare in the stores, though on day 3, it will be very slim pickings. (and that's IF there is still order). If total rioting, all bets are off.

yeah i figure day 2 things will be pretty well gone..and that not only includes grocery and convenience stores.sporting goods stores n all.but feed stores for livestock.auto parts stores and all other businesses as well ..and ppl will be on their own after that..

I really don't think most people can comprehend the effects of a widespread SHTF. Most can't even comprehend a short term localized SHTF like a hurricane or flood. But in a short term localized event, there will be someone there within 72 hours with supplies and relief (unless you live in New Orleans), so following the ready.gov preparedness guide is sufficient.

The people who live in hurricane territory probably have a better gauge of preparedness than others. At least they know what it's like when the power goes out, the highways get jammed and the shelves go bare. If you haven't lived through it, it's just not something people like to think about.

Our area local emergency planners have said it would take 3 to 5 days for help and some cases longer inland in the event of a 9.0EQ In a lot of communities here the only access is by bridges, even the USGS is starting to recommend 2 week supply here. FEMA said it would take 3 days to mobilize in the most populated areas that leaves a good number of small communities on their own for a good while. Helicopters are going to be the primary source of getting in given that most major roads here have so many damn bridges over water and none will withstand a 9.0EQ

hell, in the UK 95% of people are not prepared at all, my parents used to keep a fully stocked larder, candles, torches and the like, now these days if anyone admits to it they are looked on as crazy or even paranoid. they don't seem to be able to get past either " it'll never happen " or if it does "the government will save us" but prepare themselves, take control over their own lives ?, oh dear me NO.

We haven't really had to deal with a hurricane now for years...so a lot of folks are just complacent these days.

I have ask people not long ago in a couple of group settings; in a nationwide emergency such as grid down what will you do? first response 'I don't know' second response 'government will do something' third response 'it won't last long' fourth response 'it won't happen'

Even without any other event....a grid collapse would take months to restore and that's optimistic.

it's strange how ignorant people are or they simply choose to be...what scares me,is the fact that families here whit kids tend to go food shopping every day,so nothing home incase of emergancy...usually see the same parent+kid+strolley+shoppingbag combo more or less every day in the metro or tram

...but nothing will or can happen??? right??? never???? ...somebody will save me if it happens..right??

and most of the "food" they have is tv dinners/microwave food, nobody seems to COOK from fresh anymore, they haven't got the attention span.

plus so many ppl dont even know how to cook any more..i had a sister-in-law once,who couldnt even fix corn bread stuffing right

Last edited:
and most of the "food" they have is tv dinners/microwave food, nobody seems to COOK from fresh anymore, they haven't got the attention span.

Well, there are ways to still cook quick without microwaving. Especially now, there are all kinds of shortcuts available. We still have home-cooked meals nearly every night, but we don't make hardly anything from "scratch". It isn't attention span, it's time. I leave the house around 7am, and get home around 7pm. Doesn't leave a lot of time to cook and eat at a reasonable time. We crock-pot a lot. And we prep stuff ahead of time, so once home, we save time that way.

The other problem is veggies. Unless you go to the produce mart every other day, it simply only keeps so long. This is one of the reasons we first approached growing our own. That and the fluctuating cost of produce (and fluctuating quality of it).

Latest posts

Back