This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a really nice Cree flashllight with 3 functions (half, full and flashing), a 3 AAA battery pack and another Li-ion rechargeable with 4000mAh of power. The really nice thing is...I can even charge the battery in the car with 24 V or from the wall socket with 220V----while the battery is still in the flashlight...All aircraft aluminum and an adjustable lense to spotlight or floodlight. The spotlight reaches out to over 200 meters and the floodlight will light up the entire back yard. Price?View attachment 11599View attachment 11599View attachment 11600 € 35.00/ $40.00.
Where!

I would like to get an idea of what spare parts for the PT99 that I should stock up on for after SHTF.
Kevin, I'll try to find out which parts are prone to breakage or wear. From what I understand, a lot of parts on the PT92 are interchangeable with the Beretta 92, and I think the main thing different about the PT99 from the PT92 is the adjustable sights. The manufacturing equipment originally came from Beretta when Beretta was making pistols on contract for the government there.

On the Berettas, the locking block is prone to breakage. I don't know if this is true of the Tauruses, but this is something that carried over from the Walther P38 which is is based on. I had a Walther P38, and I had four parts fail - the extractor, the locking block, the firing pin, and the loaded chamber indicator. I traded the Walther for a CZ-75 which my daughter now has.

Here is what Massad Ayoob said about the PT92/99:
“We see a lot of Taurus pistols at Lethal Force Institute. The PT-92 through PT-100 models in 9mm and .40 S&W come in, shoot several hundred rounds, hand leave without a malfunction or a breakage. Acuuracy is comparable to the Beretta, but cost is hundreds of dollars less. Finish may not be quite so nice, nor double-action pull quite so smooth, but these guns are definitely good values.”

I have NEVER had a problem with SigSaur or Browning!!!! Have shot both for over 20 yrs and never broke a thing!!!

I have two Sig pistols and a Browning pistol and I've never had any kind of parts failure on any of them. In fact they all still have 100% of the original parts, which I can't say about any other semi-auto I own.

On the Berettas, the locking block is prone to breakage. I don't know if this is true of the Tauruses, but this is something that carried over from the Walther P38 which is is based on. I had a Walther P38, and I had four parts fail - the extractor, the locking block, the firing pin, and the loaded chamber indicator. I traded the Walther for a CZ-75 which my daughter now has.

Here is what Massad Ayoob said about the PT92/99:
“We see a lot of Taurus pistols at Lethal Force Institute. The PT-92 through PT-100 models in 9mm and .40 S&W come in, shoot several hundred rounds, hand leave without a malfunction or a breakage. Acuuracy is comparable to the Beretta, but cost is hundreds of dollars less. Finish may not be quite so nice, nor double-action pull quite so smooth, but these guns are definitely good values.”
Thank you very much. I will start amassing parts when I can.

I was doing some drivers training in Munich, Germany. After work, walking around the town, in a little, family run Chinese import shop with all kinds of electronics and the usual stuff. Some a bit childish, some unknown and, like the flashlight, really cool....here is a pic of the box it came in and the tag on the back of the box. Maybe you can check around and find it on the internet and order one...or maybe 34 and sell them to your friends with a small markup????? Gary:p box.jpg

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    2.4 MB
I was doing some drivers training in Munich, Germany. After work, walking around the town, in a little, family run Chinese import shop with all kinds of electronics and the usual stuff. Some a bit childish, some unknown and, like the flashlight, really cool....here is a pic of the box it came in and the tag on the back of the box. Maybe you can check around and find it on the internet and order one...or maybe 34 and sell them to your friends with a small markup????? Gary:pView attachment 11610
Sounds like a winner, just may do that! A little extra cash always comes in handy.

Mmmmm, Harbor Freight! I go to Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply and just walk around and look at all the stuff. I have things from both that I didn't really need, but I have them if I need them!:cool:

do a little more >> can't always guarantee that a pop-up SHTF will begin at our convenience - no BOB or GHB available - no Cabelas or Bass Pro handy >>> do a mental improvising game going thru these chain store locations - see what they have for quik grab that can keep you going ....

i took someone shopping two days ago. And took advantage of the situation.
bought a 24 pack of toilet paper. Six rolls of paper towel.and 8 boxes of Kleenex. And more food.
Toilet paper hasnt disappeared here but it is scarce and limited to one pack per customer again. It’s always a good thing to have some extra.

I added a 150 rounds of 57x28 for my new Ruger pistol , a new cleaning kit and a couple years worth of bore cleaner and gun oils of different varieties . We picked up a bunch of canned good , coffee, multiple drink mixes and toiletries as well.

You just need the FN P90 to go with that superb ammo choice :)

I added a 150 rounds of 57x28 for my new Ruger pistol , a new cleaning kit and a couple years worth of bore cleaner and gun oils of different varieties . We picked up a bunch of canned good , coffee, multiple drink mixes and toiletries as well.
I looked while at Walmart at the ammo case. Not a single shell of any caliber! I had heard murmurs about ammo shortages but didn’t expect to see ZERO supplies. Luckily I have enough.

I just bottled the last ten gallons of last years wines. I have 5 gallons of this years still settling out and have about 30gallons of this years grapes in the freezer. Come depression, civil unrest, solar flares or zombies, at least I will still Have my nightly glass of wine! Likely good as a barter item in tough times too.

I also needed to replace a coax cable in my house today. It’s a whole lot easier when your building and don’t have Sheetrock up yet! I had to drill thru floors, snake it behind a tub, around a water heater and through two walls. Success at last! I had some kind of interference on the line in the wall so had to bypass it. Can’t believe how much nicer it is to watch a clear tv again.
I don’t know if this has a lot to do with prepping but it was on my to do list for too long, am glad it’s done!

The ammo shortage and extravagant pricing made me shift away from normal range visits. As soon as the new PCP air rifle gets here, I will be back to trigger time. I do have plenty of ammo for all my rifles / handguns but I am not going to waste my supply on paper targets. I will work on sub-MOA groups with the pellet rifle. Trigger control, breathing, and shot placement is the same for an Air Rifle as it is for a firearm. Do your job and the weapon will do it's job. I can always use a very quite 22 caliber pellet to pick off a few of the roaming turkeys, here about.

I really like the greenhouse! Coming along very nice. I should be growing winter crops in mine but have just been too busy....
Thank you! Just saw this, haven't been able to be on much. Work has been crazy and I'm about living at the hospital these days.

Don't need to go to the range, the ranch owner asked me to come and eliminate the hundreds of pigeons eating his pigs corn, crapping on his ranch and making a mess of things. Get enough target practice. Only with a .177 single-cock pellet rifle and a maximum effective range of about 40 meters, you have to be sneaky, quiet and a good (or lucky) shot....

Don't need to go to the range, the ranch owner asked me to come and eliminate the hundreds of pigeons eating his pigs corn, crapping on his ranch and making a mess of things. Get enough target practice. Only with a .177 single-cock pellet rifle and a maximum effective range of about 40 meters, you have to be sneaky, quiet and a good (or lucky) shot....
Sounds like fun! Do you have a good pigeon recipe? :)

Latest posts

Back