This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you make that? That's a great idea.
I used to use fiber egg cartons, but they're messy and the wax leaks. The wife would throw a fit when I leaked wax all over her counter tops. Now I'm using old muffin pans. The discs are larger and will burn longer. I carry these wax discs in every vehicle, tractor, atv's and my grab and go bag. The egg carton size would burn for about 15 minutes or so. Long enough to warm up cold hands. The new one will probably burn 30 minutes at least, long enough to heat up a can of soup.

I used to use fiber egg cartons, but they're messy and the wax leaks. The wife would throw a fit when I leaked wax all over her counter tops. Now I'm using old muffin pans. The discs are larger and will burn longer. I carry these wax discs in every vehicle, tractor, atv's and my grab and go bag. The egg carton size would burn for about 15 minutes or so. Long enough to warm up cold hands. The new one will probably burn 30 minutes at least, long enough to heat up a can of soup.
Thanks for the info! We have a ton of egg cartons from our chickens, but muffin tins sound like a better idea. Hubs has a ton of sawdust from the shop workings.

I'll have to stop throwing away my lint. Sounds like a good time.
Tomorrow my mom and I are going around to local farms to pick up some squash, apples and other items to can. My garden was in a sad state this year with big beautiful tomato bushes and no tomatoes! Squash didn't grow, but I got a ton of cukes.
I want to get one of those huge crocks to make pickles

I am saving my empty pellet ammo tins. Mix the wax, sawdust / dryer lint into the empty tins and they don't leak.

I light the starter inside the tins. Too lazy to transfer and I have a lot of empty tins, LOL. The tins are kept in zip lock bags just in case but so far no leakage. The lids screw down very tightly but I don't store them in my truck, during the summer months. Vaseline cotton balls are stored in the truck, inside zip lock bags. During the summer months, everything will meltdown inside stored in the tuck, even us humans. 120 degrees will take it's toll. LOL.

I'll have to stop throwing away my lint. Sounds like a good time.
Tomorrow my mom and I are going around to local farms to pick up some squash, apples and other items to can. My garden was in a sad state this year with big beautiful tomato bushes and no tomatoes! Squash didn't grow, but I got a ton of cukes.
I want to get one of those huge crocks to make pickles
The wife has 2 crocks for fermenting, 1 large and 1 medium size. So far I'm not too happy with the pickles that I made in them.

My JD 1025r finally showed up with a 120r loader and 54" drive on auto connect belly mower. It took 2 months to get everything. Next up, look for some small implements to drag behind it.
Toys are fun and attachments addicting.

Back