This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the most overlooked prize mushrooms is the puffball. I've recently started paying more attention to them. My wife discovered a type of puffball I'd never heard of, which grows at the base of trees instead of in the grass like most puffballs. It also has a small stem. But I looked it up and it was a choice puffball.
Positive Identification? Slice one in half, and if it's solid white inside you are good to go.

I cut open three. One (pic above) had some browning happening at the base, the other two were white. I am assuming a maturity difference. Book is "out for delivery" so now I wait.

I don't think I've ever even seen a truffle.

We used to cultivate mushrooms.
King stropharia we would grow in the wood chips of garden mulch. That was the easiest one. Then we did logs of shitake, reishi, oyster, and lions mane. Those were fun days. I'd like to do it again and have some refrigerated spawn. It's one of the easiest crops to grow if you have woods, in my opinion, and once you buy the spawn you can keep them going indefinitely.

I have looked at your photo a dozen times, RC&D, and I will be interested to see what you learn!

I cut open three. One (pic above) had some browning happening at the base, the other two were white. I am assuming a maturity difference. Book is "out for delivery" so now I wait.
When the spores start forming it starts turning dark. I don't think they are poisonous, but they probably don't taste good. You can probably cut off the dark area and cook the white part. Best to just eat the ones that are solid white through and through.

I don't think I've ever even seen a truffle.

We used to cultivate mushrooms.
King stropharia we would grow in the wood chips of garden mulch. That was the easiest one. Then we did logs of shitake, reishi, oyster, and lions mane. Those were fun days. I'd like to do it again and have some refrigerated spawn. It's one of the easiest crops to grow if you have woods, in my opinion, and once you buy the spawn you can keep them going indefinitely.

I have looked at your photo a dozen times, RC&D, and I will be interested to see what you learn!

We have mushrooms growing all over BOL2 at all times of the year. The forest climate there is warm, moist, humid and lots of decaying downed trees. Some of them are just beautiful; neon oranges, yellows and bright reds (pics are on the old destroyed phone), but poisonous, some are edible. I am more familiar with the midwestern varieties than the southern ones, so have to re-learn.

I have a syringe of spores for spring.

We have mushrooms growing all over BOL2 at all times of the year. The forest climate there is warm, moist, humid and lots of decaying downed trees. Some of them are just beautiful; neon oranges, yellows and bright reds (pics are on the old destroyed phone), but poisonous, some are edible. I am more familiar with the midwestern varieties than the southern ones, so have to re-learn.

I have a syringe of spores for spring.
I wouldn't know the first thing about southern mushrooms. That will be so fun learning them. It sounds like a great place.

I wouldn't know the first thing about southern mushrooms. That will be so fun learning them. It sounds like a great place.

The syringe is Moral mushrooms...not going to get too persnickety, going to inoculate a couple of logs and see how it goes if I just let them be. Don't have the time to babysit plants. I kind of take the Darwin approach to growing.

I love it out there. When his parents are both gone (and if:shtf doesn't hit the fan first) we can sell BOL1 and move out there full time, at least, that is my hope.

Last edited:
The #3 choice mushroom after truffles and morels is chanterelles. In the summer at the BOL, about two or three days after a rain they pop up all over the place near big oak trees. I know a spot where I can almost always find them...if the beavers haven't flooded that part of the woods that is...
Chanterelles are very delicate and don't keep well, which is why you normally only see them sold dehydrated. But cooked fresh they are a real treat.

The #3 choice mushroom after truffles and morels is chanterelles. In the summer at the BOL, about two or three days after a rain they pop up all over the place near big oak trees. I know a spot where I can almost always find them...if the beavers haven't flooded that part of the woods that is...
Chanterelles are very delicate and don't keep well, which is why you normally only see them sold dehydrated. But cooked fresh they are a real treat.

I *think* I have seen chanterelles but, with my phone destroyed, will have to wait until summer to find out I guess.

1672855449640.png

And these

1672855891378.png

Last edited:
I know and collect lots of different mushrooms. Helena and friends just about flip out when I walk into the woods on a smell from light breeze, recognise the smell and bring a few rooms out and eat them raw...three different kinds here that you can eat raw but I only know the german names for them since I learned everything about them there the last 25 or so years.

I *think* I have seen chanterelles but, with my phone destroyed, will have to wait until summer to find out I guess.

View attachment 18476

And these

View attachment 18477
Those don't look like chanterelles to me. The first might be but I'd have to see it at a different angle. I know for sure the second one is not a chanterelle because it is too orange, not shaped right, and doesn't have an even color.

Chanterelles:
bCZwaWQ9QXBp

Those don't look like chanterelles to me. The first might be but I'd have to see it at a different angle. I know for sure the second one is not a chanterelle because it is too orange, not shaped right, and doesn't have an even color.

Chanterelles:
bCZwaWQ9QXBp

There are a couple of different edible chanterelles, the one I posted are supposedly the ones found in East Texas.

The other one is not a chanterelle, it is another supposedly edible variety of mushroom that we have around..

Last edited:
The more I read, the more confused I get.

One of the best ways to separate a false truffle from a real one if you don’t have a microscope is to look inside. The interior of a false truffle can be described as one of the following, gleaned from several mushroom books:

• It is often composed of small chambers that give it a spongelike appearance (a fine-textured sponge, not folded dough.) The one I have looks like folded dough.

• Some false truffles contain an internal stalk or column. Nope

• If the interior of the “truffle” releases copious juice when cut open, or is firm to solid and resembles glistening rubber the fungus is likely to be a false truffle. No juice/fluid and it was spongy and no gloss

• While many truffles will develop distinctive odors as they mature, those that are considered false truffles may have a disagreeable odor rather than a rich mushroomy odor. It smelled really good, kind of mushroomy/smokey-sweet/fruity-nutty unique but pleasant.

• True truffles usually have channeled, marbled or hollow interiors and do not have an internal column.

So is it a truffle? I still find it hard to believe it is; I don't get that kind of luck. Driving me nuts!

Are those pictures of them? If so I can forward to my son in law. That man knows his mushrooms!
Yes. Looking on line most of the afternoon and they may even be Shiro Mushrooms? It would be much appreciated if he could help!

Being trapped/secluded/closed off, I tried to make the best of it.
Filtered my persimmon wine. (May be just be a sweet flavoring for cocktails)
Made an orange liqueur.
Made a lemon liqueur
Made a Limoncello.
Made a lemon curd.
Got a couple quarts of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Only touched a quarter of my lemons.
Still have a tree full of oranges. My wife got a fresh squeezed adult orange juice yesterday. A lot of work for that.
Tree I can’t figure out how to take advantage of is a citron.

We got a lot more wood chopped for next year and I have been inspired by the water storage discussion. I found some more barrels in a nearby town, so I'm hoping to go pick them up this weekend. Tomorrow, we put up a new goat fence, which I'm NOT looking forward to, but it needs to be done before the ground freezes again.

Finished my stored food inventory. More than I thought. Looks like we have enough food stored for 30-33 months for our group of 12 adults and 2 children. Not including what ever about half the group brings with them. That's not including what we will hunt, trap, catch and grow.

Made a new batch of CDS.

Finished my stored food inventory. More than I thought. Looks like we have enough food stored for 30-33 months for our group of 12 adults and 2 children. Not including what ever about half the group brings with them. That's not including what we will hunt, trap, catch and grow.

Made a new batch of CDS.
How long does the CDS store?

Made a new batch of CDS.
You can’t have too much with the way things are looking, food is going to to get scarce .

A few weeks ago my wife bought an antique wooden tool box for me to turn into a coffee table. Inside was a hand drill bit set. Picked up a hand drill to go with them.

I just dug out and tamped a foundation for our next shed, inspired by @Proud Prepper

I don't mean to brag, but dang it, I am proud of myself! Every day I'm getting stronger. I'll probably have some blisters tomorrow and no doubt I'll get an earful dor overdoing it when my husband gets home, but I'll sleep well!
Good for you. Hard work always feels good, just try not to overdo for awhile.
I'm looking forward to construction season here. It's still a ways out. We have snow over to top of our fence posts in places. Speaking of fences, I'm going to pull out about 2 miles of old cross fencing this summer.

Latest posts

Back