Tips you suggest as people get older

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old tex

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This isn't about money, drugs or really anything specific. No, I'm talking things that you have done that worked for you for just about anything. Why? Pretty simple, as we age we encounter problems that weren't problems when we were younger. I'll give a couple of simple examples but please think back & remember how you overcame the limitless challenges we all face or have faced.

First example: pulling weeds in my yard. We have animals so I hate to use weed poison. So I bought a kneeler so that I could get down & dirty & still get up (picture below). I quickly realized that it didn't work for me because besides my knees not being great, my back we even worse. BUT I found a hundred & one uses for this. Looking under stuff to find something I dropped, working low on something (like stocking a beer refrigerator - haha), lately installing weather stripping on cabinets, I use this for everything! Oh & notice that you can kneel on it & use the "handles" with your arms to help get yourself up. And turn it upside down & you can sit on it for any kind of low work.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61dAD1hb-qL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Living in central Texas we get a lot of sticker producing plants. That's originally why I bought the above. But sadly my back problem came up. So simple solution is a hoe or one of those things you incircle the plant with & step on to make a nice size hole in your yard. I thought outside the box & bought a knife blade, an old broom & a bucks worth of epoxy. I basically made a spear that I use to cut plants out of my yard (picture an apple corer, that's how it works). It works great (once you get the hang of it) on anything with 1 main stem. No picture because I made it but it's like a short spear.

We have a lot of trees both over & around our house. Between wind & squirrels we get a lot of sticks in the yard & on the roof. For the sticks in the yard I bought a dollar bucket (at dollar tree) & dollar "grabber" (you know that you squeeze to pick up things on the floor/ground). Easy & quick & for bigger limbs I have a garbage can in the back yard. So how about those branches on the roof? I bought a a wide bristle floor brush (I think at dollar tree), just the head. I then bought a painter's roller extension (the longest I could find) & put them all together. You screw them together, extend the painters extension all the way & I can "brush" little limbs off the roof & often "hook" the bigger limbs with the brush & pull them down.

Here's an old one that I did years ago. Remember, my back isn't great & my wife's back, well she gets disability for her back & her knees. (And here's where you turn a minus into a plus). She told me one day that she was having some minor problems getting off the toilet. Bad back, bad knees, of course. So I asked if a taller toilet would help & she said that she thought it would. I did a little research & found that Sam's had a 3 inch higher toilet (called toilet in a box no less) for $99. I bought 2 of them, one for both downstairs bathrooms. I installed them both, pretty easy btw. I did find that I had a leaky valve in one bathroom so I called a plumber to replace it & while he was here he fine tuned my toilet install. Total cost was $210 for the plumber, & 2 toilets for $99 each., so about $400 total (with tax, etc). But it really wasn't that much because those were low flow toilets & they paid for themselves in about 2 years because of lower water bills (waters high around here).

Lastly & I have no numbers on this one. We found that GoodRX did lower our cost a LOT on a fair amount of meds.

The above was right off the top of my head but the topic is open. Anything you have done that helped you that other might not have thought of, post it here. Wouldn't it be nice to save others some money, pain or even trouble?

We installed handles on our door frames that are about eye level, so when you take that first step you can grab the handle and help yourself up. I thought it was silly at the time, but now I use it every day.

We put a hand rail in the shower in the Master Bathroom which also helps. Our balance is not what it used to be.

We have grabbers in a couple of rooms to pick up things on the floor. We also have Lift Assists which we keep in our cars. Both Grabbers and Lift Assist are available on Amazon. If someone is having trouble standing up they hold one end of the Lift Assist, and you help pull them up. A quick tip when you do this. Put your toes even with the toes of the person you are helping, so when they stand their feet don't slide forward.

A Senior joke about dropping things: When you drop something when you are young, you bend over and pick it up. When you drop something when you are old you look at it and think "how bad do I need that?"

1729023925800.png

some good ideas for sure. might also be a good idea to get a good walking cane and set aside. dont know when you might need it down the road . right now walmart online has a very good offset cane - adjstable--for under $10. years back i got one for =just in case= cause ii figured someone at some time might need it. ended up needing it this year. so i got a backup from walmart just to have and i got a walker with wheels too for down the road.

i love those grabber sticks too--got a couple and use them often

Remember the commercial: "Help I've fallen and can't get up".

For some unknown reason I thought it was intended to be funny.

Imagine my frightening shock, the day that only after many tries, was I finally able to get up, after intentionally laying down on the floor. I suggest people try that test with some regularity. Once I realized that I nearly was not able to get up, I started practicing different methods. I finally found one. It is still extremely hard and painful.

I confess that when that happened, I was frightened. Especially after several failed attempts. Now if I have to get down on the floor, I move a chair nearby. I suspect the fear of never getting up, likely gave a hit of adrenalin, which made my stronger.

I no longer think it is funny.

some good ideas for sure. might also be a good idea to get a good walking cane and set aside. dont know when you might need it down the road . right now walmart online has a very good offset cane - adjstable--for under $10. years back i got one for =just in case= cause ii figured someone at some time might need it. ended up needing it this year. so i got a backup from walmart just to have and i got a walker with wheels too for down the road.

i love those grabber sticks too--got a couple and use them often

We had the good fortune, or maybe not so good, to inherit a plethora of medical equipment from my In-Laws. My FIL was an amputee from WW2, so we have wheel chairs (yes, plural) walkers, porta-potties, canes, crutches. I don't even know what all else, but we haven't had to buy anything, and we have loaned things to several friends and relatives who needed it. It is all in the basement, of course. :dunno:

I have 3 grabbers in one house and two at the other. I have two canes and a walker.
I keep an emergency handle in the driver door pocket in each vehicle.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=emergency+handle+for+car&crid=3KSZYXCETSZH0&sprefix=emergency+handle+for+car,aps,290&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

When we bought our home it came with a walk-in-shower and high toilets. We got it from an old couple. It is a ranch style home with only a couple steps for two doors and one step for the third entry door.

Grandpa had a Rascal, electric cart that he ran around the house, and an ejector seat recliner.

Imagine my frightening shock, the day that only after many tries, was I finally able to get up, after intentionally laying down on the floor. I suggest people try that test with some regularity. Once I realized that I nearly was not able to get up, I started practicing different methods. I finally found one. It is still extremely hard and painful.

I confess that when that happened, I was frightened. Especially after several failed attempts. Now if I have to get down on the floor, I move a chair nearby. I suspect the fear of never getting up, likely gave a hit of adrenalin, which made my stronger.

The first time that happened to me I was alone at the range. I had to crawl 30’ to my car before I could stand up. Luckily my door handle would handle my weight. That is part of the reason that I got the emergency handles mentioned above. That and the fact that it sometimes gets icy around here.

This is why I have Life Alert for my pops. I have gotten at least two calls that he was on the ground and unresponsive. Age and alcohol were both factors. Without Life Alert he could have laid there for some time, or worse, but it's not cheap.

This is why I have Life Alert for my pops. I have gotten at least two calls that he was on the ground and unresponsive. Age and alcohol were both factors. Without Life Alert he could have laid there for some time, or worse, but it's not cheap.
Those are truly lifesavers!!

We put a frame around one toilet, and hand rails next to the toilet in the Master Bathroom. My wife does have knee issues. Sometimes they are O.K. and sometimes she needs all the help she can get. Just having that rail or someting to hold onto makes all the difference in the world.

As this thread progresses I will walk around the house and notice more things we have done.

the big one for me is to remember my muscles are still strong, my joints sometimes not so much. the hand truck, 2 wheeled cart is a life saver, the little jacobsen/ bucher TM850 machine, gets a lot of use. stop making the younger guys look like wimps, unless the girl is ultra cute. think about ways to make things easier instead of proving how tough I am. and using a push mower with a bagger is hard on the body when the weeds got ahead of me, next year, mow more often an smaller patches

I will also be posting the firewood system improvements, after the weather forces me to stop finding other projects (it is just too dry to log right now, and who wants to work in decent weather anyways)

I've always been fond of the old saying "work smarter, not harder"

But... there's been times when I've worked harder, just for exercise. I still do, sometimes. That exercise is just as important as it used to be, but there's reasonable limits. With age.... those limits are more reasonable. 😪

I have a four foot long "get up stick" that I sometimes use when I will have to get up and down several times - like when working on plumbing under the sink. It's just a heavy duty wooden mop handle (1-1/4" in diameter maybe?) I found a rubber tip that fits it at the hardware store (same store where I bought the mop handle, so I could try different tips to find one that fit the handles diameter). An actual crutch tip would be better - the tip I found is more like a protector you'd find on a table or chair leg. It's rubber and grips fine, but it won't be as durable as a crutch tip.

I make a point to always keep my cellphone in my pocket, even if that's the pocket in my bath robe. So I can call out if I get trapped, stuck, hurt somewhere.

My EDC pocket carry always includes a small flashlight. This is currently more a convenience than a necessity, but it sure makes reading things in a semi-dark room easier. Not a day goes by that I don't use my flashlight for at least a few seconds.

I use handrails when going down stairs 99%, and most of the time when going up. This compared to my youth when I would bound up and down stairs at a fast pace, two at a time. No more of that. Sometimes we will set up TV trays in front of the TV and eat there. That requires four steps down from the kitchen. If my hands are full with a plate and a glass, I stop at the top of those four stairs and give a few seconds thought to how I will step down. Planning kind of. Which sounds odd for the same steps that have been in our house since we moved there in '82. But I'm exercising caution.

We have a folding step stored in the back seat of our truck. That truck bed seems to have gotten higher and higher over the years. We also keep a garden hoe in the bed of the truck so we can reach and retrieve stuff that has slid to the front of the bed without having to climb up in there (using the folding step!)

Before getting down on the floor, I think about how I am going to get back up. Given a choice, I would prefer to be next to a chair, a wall, a counter, or some other assist mechanism (including my "get up stick").

When I park in a large spread out parking lot, I make a point to look back at my car as I am walking away. So I have a frame of reference to find it on the way back. For places where I might be away from the car for a few days (like an airplane trip), I use my cellphone to take pictures of lane/aisle numbers, section numbers, and door numbers that are usually posted somewhere near. I used to memorize these things. Now, I use my cellphone camera for "memory". The camera memory works well for potential impulse buys at Costco. I find something intriguing, but don't know if I really want it or not, so I take a picture of the little Costco placard above it showing the item number, price and brief description. Otherwise, by the time I get home and decide to research the item, I will have forgotten what it was. Arguably, if I'd abandon the camera in these situations, I'd save myself a lot of money in frivolous purchases.

Last edited:
More butter, less sugar.
Know your family medical history.
Learn about Medicare before you need it.
If you do not have a will, get one & leave a copy with the Lawyer who witness your signing.
Write down all your meds & keep a copy in your wallet.
Plan your Funeral now & have money set aside to pay for it, your accounts will be locked for three to twelve months when you die. Talk to your bank, lawyer about what is best in your state.

We had the good fortune, or maybe not so good, to inherit a plethora of medical equipment from my In-Laws. My FIL was an amputee from WW2, so we have wheel chairs (yes, plural) walkers, porta-potties, canes, crutches. I don't even know what all else, but we haven't had to buy anything, and we have loaned things to several friends and relatives who needed it. It is all in the basement, of course. :dunno:
We have a folding walker, a shower seat & a few canes from my in laws.
We are not using them yet.

Last edited:
Lever doorknobs are priceless. The new house has 1 or 2 steps to get into it, and it's a single level. I have a ramp for the step. Yard is "level", no real inclines. Bathrooms are not ADA, but lots of support available.

It covered everything I could think of years ago when I made the list for a place to retire. The local fire department has the access code to the house if they get an "unresponsive " call.

Reactions: Neb
When you get old and find you need help understanding some things that in the past you easily understood. Other than family or friends, where do people turn. Example: all the bureaucratic paperwork, and forms. And it is all so "time sensitive". Medicare you must make changes to the parts within a stated time window, or you must wait a whole year.

Latest posts

Back