To the Edge of the Arctic

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Just a heads up yall...i posted a few videos of these two men doing this adventure in my island living thread because of the boats they built.I knew since last year these guys were doing some amazing things and couldnt wait to see what they accomplished by the end of their journey.I decided to do a separate thread because i believe there some HUGE nuggets of wisdom going to be brought up in this series From boat building,food preparations and daily calories needed.In the first video..not the trailer video... we get a glimpse of that and shear amount of high calorie foods and prep work...more later hopefully from whats being told.

The one thing of interest too is Matthew is editing and will drop a video each Sunday of this adventure...BUT......PBS is taking all his footage and making a documentary of it to air at some point of PBS channel.

from description 3-17-24

In the summer of 2023 my good friend Adam Riley and myself(Matthew Clarke) spent 91 days rowing across the arctic and following the famous north west passage route. We were pushed to our limits on a daily basis. So much more to share with you, the full story will be out soon!

Trailer video=3 minute video

Last edited:
We're about to embark on our biggest adventure yet – rowing the ENTIRE Northwest Passage in two rowboats we built ourselves! That's right, along with my fearless partner, Adam Riley, we're taking on one of the most challenging journeys on Earth: navigating the vast and unforgiving Arctic Ocean.

This first episode is just the beginning. We'll take you behind the scenes of the months of preparation that went into this incredible adventure. Witness the blood, sweat (and maybe a few tears) that went into building our rowboats, affectionately nicknamed "kittiwake" and "Dreamer." We'll also document the road trip north to Tuktoyaktuk, the official starting point for our 91-day odyssey.

Get ready for breathtaking landscapes, nail-biting challenges, and a whole lot of camaraderie as we face the unknown together. This is a story of human resilience, pushing boundaries, and the raw power of nature. Buckle up for an adventure you won't forget!

Part 1=13 minute video

Last edited:
Rowing 2000 miles across the Arctic Ocean, up and over the top of Canada is the "last first" in Arctic exploration. Due to the incredibly harsh and remote environment, choosing the right boat is vital. We felt like nothing on the market was up to the task. So we decided to build our own boats - 19 foot rowboats to be exact. These vessels give us many advantages over a traditional one person craft. Mainly the fact that we can sleep aboard the boat, tucked into a small sleeping cabin which will save us a lot of time compared to making a camp on shore every night.

These boats were designed by Colin Angus of Angus Rowboats. He is based out of Vancouver and offers multiple styles of boat plans. After much talking and research we decided on the Row cruiser. Colin designed this boat himself, making it fairly easy to build in a couple months with little to no boat building experience. Link down below.

This video showcases the building process, followed by a full walk through on the water after we have completed a couple hundred nautical miles working out the kinks. During our month long training run up the west coast of Canada, we spent all but a handful of nights sleeping aboard the boats while being anchored off in small bays or coves. We have much to learn still but are feeling confident in our skills and abilities to complete the Northwest Passage this coming summer.

If you'd like to check out these boat plans and purchase a set for yourself here is the link to Angus Rowboats:https://angusrowboats.com

21 minute video

Last edited:
4-30-23

The paint is still fresh on our newly built row boats, and it's time to put them on the ocean for Sea Trials. We begin this trip from Cortes Island, which is off the west coast of Canada near Vancouver. Loaded up with enough food and supples for a month at sea we leave the island and head north. Surrounded by snowcapped mountains while gliding along on the crystal clear waters of the pacific. Learning to sleep aboard the small boats while being anchored off on the ocean was an interesting experience. Over the course of our trip we learned many things about our newly minted boats. This is a training run leading up to our main goal which is rowing the north west passage. Two months from now we will be driving to the shores of the Arctic Ocean, with these two boats in tow. Shoving off and attempting a 2000 mile crossing of the Arctic Ocean. Attempting to be the first people to cross the North West Passage under human power. Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss any of the adventures!

14 minute video

Last edited:
Got through your first two videos. Can you edit your posts to say how long each video is? @elkhound
They did it to push themselves. Imagine having to do it because that’s what you do, you get out there with your brothers, cousins, uncles, etc and you fish and hunt.

It is a beautiful place.
Done...rounded up or down the time...will do it on all future videos for this series. Next one should be out next Sunday.

p.s. cant do instagram videos theres no time stamp for me to see...most instagrams are short thought.

yes they did it for adventure and more..but this was way people lived along all coastlines on the planet at one time...from hot regions to cold regions.This will be pure solid gold survival knowledge to a few one day...in far off future it will be again for all living on coasts.

Heh. I didn’t sync my phone and laptop so even though I finally caved and have an instagram account, can’t watch it on my phone.
Good stuff. Hard stuff. Living their own dreams. Pemmican!!! Blisters!

Okay, I got it! It was very short but he explained the ingredients of the pemmican.
i feel sure he will be more in-depth on this in future episode...its true survival food from native americans.

look at this...ya gotta be tough to do the hard things for sure...just a glimpse of all the food too.

two screenshots
screenshot-www.homesteadingforum.org-2024.06.25-13_52_30.png

screenshot-www.homesteadingforum.org-2024.06.25-13_53_12.png

Jun 30, 2024
We're officially in the thick of it now, folks. Every day is a grind – endless stretches of open water, muscles screaming in protest, and the constant battle against whatever weather the Arctic throws our way. But let me tell you, the payoff is unreal.

Crystal-clear water reflects the never-ending summer sun, chunks of ice pierce the horizon, and the whole place is bathed in this crazy, 24-hour daylight – it's like living in a beautiful, bizarre dream.

Just when you think you've got the rhythm down, the universe throws us a curveball. One of our key pieces of gear needs some serious TLC, forcing us to get creative and rely on our resourcefulness. It throws a wrench in the plans, for sure, and we've got some tough decisions to make about how to move forward.

The journey isn't just about the physical grind and the unexpected. It's about the incredible wildlife encounters too! From majestic whales breaching right next to the boat to playful seals popping up to say hello, the Arctic is teeming with life.

Join us as we navigate the beauty and challenges of the Northwest Passage. What kind of crazy situations or incredible wildlife encounters do you think we might experience next? Let us know in the comments below!

A big thank you to all the Skotes and supporters that helped make this trip possible. You crossed our minds everyday up there.

P.S. Don't forget to subscribe to Skote Outdoors for the latest updates on our Arctic adventure!

14 minute video

well to talk about this a little bit so far before next episode...they almost failed...water purification... @Sourdough hollers 3 sources of water all the time...well it looks like they some how cracked their only water filter body....its a msr...i mean that thing is so critical to this mission i have it packed in a pelican case surrounded by padding...i would have two in fact and my third would be hand desalinization of i could afford it...then lastly turn sea water into drinking water but that would use up a very limited supply of fuel and time.

one thing i would fear about the cracked filter....is if water is getting around filter now and also if filter is cracked..i mean its a ceramic type thing and can be broken..or one i have is...and it can wear out from cleaning and you use a gauge to tell if its still good...they might be drinking water with a bunch of sea bird poop and more in it....ughhh. i like good safe water !

https://www.katadyngroup.com/us/en/8019948-katadyn-survivor-35~p6775

8019948_Survivor%2035~-~media--2247bc1a--query.webp

lets try this again...seems our glitch with server whatever happened took away this post and lost now...

Jul 7, 2024
Sometimes, the greatest challenges aren't the ones you anticipate. This leg of the journey threw us a curveball – a detour, you might say. Adam, my partner, was forced to turn back due to an unfortunate injury. Saying goodbye in Paulatuk was a quiet affair, a shared understanding hanging heavy in the air.

This episode delves into the solitary rhythm of navigating the Passage alone. It's a dance with the elements, a constant recalibration. The days become a series of essential tasks - the bite of frigid water as I wrestle with the waves, the measured preparation of fuel for both body and boat. The scenery, once a breathtaking companion, begins to hold a different kind of beauty – a vast, silent canvas reflecting the introspective quiet of the journey.

Then Mother Nature decided to flex her muscles. The weather took a hard turn and wouldn't let up. Days turned into one another, a blur of gray skies and churning water. My little tent, once a welcomed safe haven, became a temporary prison. the wind howled and the tent thrashed like the world was ending. It was raw, powerful, and scary as hell.

15 minute video

Just now realizing this is now?
I'm glad they mentioned where they parted ways, Paulatuk. Seeing it on their map vs. looking it up on a map showing Canada and the U.S. puts it in better perspective except for the part where the earth isn't flat, so the curve isn't there.

Just now realizing this is now?
I'm glad they mentioned where they parted ways, Paulatuk. Seeing it on their map vs. looking it up on a map showing Canada and the U.S. puts it in better perspective except for the part where the earth isn't flat, so the curve isn't there.
no...not now...the date is the day he posts it up..it copies the date when i copy and paste description under videos at youtube...all this was filmed last summer and is being edited this year to be shown here and via PBS at some point in future on tv.

What an adventure filled with so many survival lessons ! This is last video of series.

July 14, 2024
This episode chronicles my solo journey through the remaining miles of the Northwest Passage. For 91 gruelling days, I battled relentless weather, the isolating vastness of the Arctic, and the ever-present challenge of self-reliance.

From breathtaking landscapes to bone-chilling storms, this episode captures the untamed beauty and unforgiving power of the Arctic. See me navigate treacherous waters, find solace in the desolate wilderness, and confront my own fears in the face of Mother Nature's fury.

This is more than just a physical challenge; it's a testament to human resilience. Discover the mental fortitude required to push through physical exhaustion, emotional lows, and the constant uncertainty of being completely alone.

This final episode brings this Northwest Passage adventure to a close. Will I reach my destination, or will the Arctic claim another victory? Join me as I share the emotional highs and lows of this life-changing experience.

A big thank you to all the Skotes and Supporters that helped make this trip possible, I will never forget the kindness of strangers. Thank you ❤️

25 minute video

well to talk about this a little bit so far before next episode...they almost failed...water purification... @Sourdough hollers 3 sources of water all the time...well it looks like they some how cracked their only water filter body....its a msr...i mean that thing is so critical to this mission i have it packed in a pelican case surrounded by padding...i would have two in fact and my third would be hand desalinization of i could afford it...then lastly turn sea water into drinking water but that would use up a very limited supply of fuel and time.

one thing i would fear about the cracked filter....is if water is getting around filter now and also if filter is cracked..i mean its a ceramic type thing and can be broken..or one i have is...and it can wear out from cleaning and you use a gauge to tell if its still good...they might be drinking water with a bunch of sea bird poop and more in it....ughhh. i like good safe water !

https://www.katadyngroup.com/us/en/8019948-katadyn-survivor-35~p6775

8019948_Survivor%2035~-~media--2247bc1a--query.webp
I have an R/O filter that looks much like that. I used it to make fresh water from ocean water while crossing the Atlantic. Mine has a 12V kit on it with the hand option as a backup. I kept a rebuild kit on the boat. I also had a 40 gallon fresh water tank that I kept at least 3/4 full in case the filter went bad.

Latest posts

Back