What is the "BEST" dried "BEAN" for Flavor........???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I get "FREE" food. The deal is that it is not like shopping, where I choose what pleases me. I get what is rendered onto me. However, I do get to choose what to store for future survival, and what to consume this week, or this month.

When things a bleak, flavor "actually" matters more than times of abundance (at least if one has been there/done that, experienced that).

So, "FLAVOR" wise, what dried bean has the most euphoric flavor.

i eat pintos weekly...if i dont i feel deprived !

pintos,anasazi,small red beans...i like all dried beans to be honest.

Last edited:
The only beans that I like come out of a can. Bush's bean are my favorite, also like Beany Weenies.
While I "AGREE" more then 100% reference BUSH'S baked beans, my quest is for long term storage foods.

I take a variety of dried beans mix them all together in a large pan.
Now I got 15 bean soup.
Or how ever many beans you got this month.
Typically my bean soup mix has:
Northern beans
Pinto beans
Black beans
Lentils(green, yellow or orange)
Kidney beans
Lima beans
Garbonzo bean
I store them in a gallon glass jar so I can see when I need to mix more up.
Just an idea for you.

Last edited:
I like great northern, navy, and lima beans the best, though I eat a ton of pinto and red kidney beans. I think the trick is to have a variety to choose from to avoid food fatigue.

I am a black-red-(lentil)?-great northern-green-pinto in order.

But I really like and have many 3+ pound bags of black eyed, crowder peas, purple hull most all greens.

I like the dried Idea for a quick escape food source and Lentils are a really wide based nutritional source.

A few bags of rice to mix and you can be covered for a bit.

A person could carry a lot of daily packs in a backpack and start a good crop in a hideaway setting PLUS a trapping plot for game of all types.

I am a black-red-(lentil)?-great northern-green-pinto in order.

But I really like and have many 3+ pound bags of black eyed, crowder peas, purple hull most all greens.

I like the dried Idea for a quick escape food source and Lentils are a really wide based nutritional source.

A few bags of rice to mix and you can be covered for a bit.

A person could carry a lot of daily packs in a backpack and start a good crop in a hideaway setting PLUS a trapping plot for game of all types.
I like lentils too. Bonus of them is they require no soaking.

Latest posts

Back