What is the "BEST" dried "BEAN" for Flavor........???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I get "FREE" food. The deal is that it is not like shopping, where I choose what pleases me. I get what is rendered onto me. However, I do get to choose what to store for future survival, and what to consume this week, or this month.

When things a bleak, flavor "actually" matters more than times of abundance (at least if one has been there/done that, experienced that).

So, "FLAVOR" wise, what dried bean has the most euphoric flavor.

i eat pintos weekly...if i dont i feel deprived !

pintos,anasazi,small red beans...i like all dried beans to be honest.

Last edited:
The only beans that I like come out of a can. Bush's bean are my favorite, also like Beany Weenies.
While I "AGREE" more then 100% reference BUSH'S baked beans, my quest is for long term storage foods.

I take a variety of dried beans mix them all together in a large pan.
Now I got 15 bean soup.
Or how ever many beans you got this month.
Typically my bean soup mix has:
Northern beans
Pinto beans
Black beans
Lentils(green, yellow or orange)
Kidney beans
Lima beans
Garbonzo bean
I store them in a gallon glass jar so I can see when I need to mix more up.
Just an idea for you.

Last edited:
I like great northern, navy, and lima beans the best, though I eat a ton of pinto and red kidney beans. I think the trick is to have a variety to choose from to avoid food fatigue.

I am a black-red-(lentil)?-great northern-green-pinto in order.

But I really like and have many 3+ pound bags of black eyed, crowder peas, purple hull most all greens.

I like the dried Idea for a quick escape food source and Lentils are a really wide based nutritional source.

A few bags of rice to mix and you can be covered for a bit.

A person could carry a lot of daily packs in a backpack and start a good crop in a hideaway setting PLUS a trapping plot for game of all types.

I am a black-red-(lentil)?-great northern-green-pinto in order.

But I really like and have many 3+ pound bags of black eyed, crowder peas, purple hull most all greens.

I like the dried Idea for a quick escape food source and Lentils are a really wide based nutritional source.

A few bags of rice to mix and you can be covered for a bit.

A person could carry a lot of daily packs in a backpack and start a good crop in a hideaway setting PLUS a trapping plot for game of all types.
I like lentils too. Bonus of them is they require no soaking.

Pinto beans with ground beef.
black beans for taco.
Red beans with rice.
Three bean mix for Texas Caviar.
Blackeye peas with Chow Chow.

Back