John Deere LA165 Riding Mower-Intermittent Spin/No Start

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...so the report back to the group is that this appears to be an ignition switch issue. The switch on there is only a couple years old, but it is not surprising that it did not last. I looked at the brake/parking brake setup and didn't see anything that looked bad. Played with some connectors. No change. Pulling up and out on the key starts every time.

I'll order a new switch and we'll see if that finally solves the problem. FINALLY being the operative word. Maybe I can get a reliable season out of this mower in 2025...2024 was a bust.
You are welcome!!😉

If I can get 2 more good years out of this riding mower, then I'll consider my investment worthwhile and will look into something different. <haha> Was actually thinking about a compact tractor with a mower deck... That way I can be pretty sure it'd be up to any light tasks "out here". A residential garden tractor isn't too useful, not even on our weed collection in the front and back yards. It's just too rough out here, and big rocks that hide take a toll on spindles, belts, and blades.

Last edited:
You are welcome!!😉
Oh, yeah! Thank you, all!! Fixing stuff with the help of the community (dare I say, "friends"!) is better than dealing with a dealer. Hopefully this is the last of the big issues. There's still an engine issue that I'll have to resolve over the winter (will have a friend fix it, he's good at that stuff).

Now that the OP has the issue resolved, hope you don't mind a little thread drift…. A friend came over today with his 4052 to do stump removal and pull down a massive tree. Sweet ride but he's had problems with it, mainly related to DEF components.
For farm tractors I’m very familiar with a JD 4720, full cab with air. It’s been a damn good tractor with just regular maintenance.

The business also has a smaller version of the same (forget the model number) it’s fine but weak, needs a turbo.

Neither are new enough to deal with DEF issues.

Oh, yeah! Thank you, all!! Fixing stuff with the help of the community (dare I say, "friends"!) is better than dealing with a dealer. Hopefully this is the last of the big issues. There's still an engine issue that I'll have to resolve over the winter (will have a friend fix it, he's good at that stuff).
It would probably be well worth you while to take the ignition switch out and see of you can find a replacement in the aftermarket, or even try to find a Murray dealer or better an independant small engine shop, they often know the weak points in each model. selling dealers tend to have crappy service

I wouldn't buy a made in china tractor from a big name company like Deere, their stuff sucks, if you get a good one you are lucky.

Trivia.. My beloved JD855 compact (25HP, early 1990s?) was wonderful.. A brute for power considering its size and weight.. It did garden tillage, field, yard, driveway maintenance well.. Then I upgraded to a 2015 JD2032R (32HP)... It did everything and more than the JD855 with much more authority..

The only problem I had was both could be overwhelmed moving snow with a pto snowblower if you didn't take your time.. But then in the far north I saw 85HP tractors with snowblowers struggle..

If I had it to do over again I would bite the bullet and spend the extra money for the cab..
My 5 cents of experience..

It would probably be well worth you while to take the ignition switch out and see of you can find a replacement in the aftermarket, or even try to find a Murray dealer or better an independant small engine shop, they often know the weak points in each model. selling dealers tend to have crappy service
Thanks & done. Amazon's quicker than JD and I refuse to continue buying OEM parts that don't last, at three times the price, from a company that sends Americans' jobs elsewhere.

I wouldn't buy a made in china tractor from a big name company like Deere, their stuff sucks, if you get a good one you are lucky.
Made in China? Mexico, South America, sure. But I don't think there's much American market Deere equipment that's made in China. JD tractors are head and shoulders above any other tractors, and I say that coming from a production agriculture background, where the smallest tractors we use in the field are over 100hp. Red tractors are barely adequate, and everything else is worse.

But lawnmowers...there are at least two grades of Deere mowers. The ones you can buy at Lowe's, Home Depot, farm stores - those aren't real John Deere. They are contract made and they're no better than Cub Cadet or Lawn Boy or Poulan or whatever else. But the ones you get at a dealership are the real deal.

Made in China? Mexico, South America, sure. But I don't think there's much American market Deere equipment that's made in China. JD tractors are head and shoulders above any other tractors, and I say that coming from a production agriculture background, where the smallest tractors we use in the field are over 100hp. Red tractors are barely adequate, and everything else is worse.

But lawnmowers...there are at least two grades of Deere mowers. The ones you can buy at Lowe's, Home Depot, farm stores - those aren't real John Deere. They are contract made and they're no better than Cub Cadet or Lawn Boy or Poulan or whatever else. But the ones you get at a dealership are the real deal.
I think it depends where you are and what's done. Most out here use blue tractors (including road/hwy maintenance crews), and there are no issues with getting work done. Some are orange. Some are red. Some don't have any paint at all. :eek: Lots comes down to dealers and dealer support/network.

Back