What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feral hogs are expanding predominately from the south and working their way towards the eastern section of the country. New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Vermont are states where wild pigs reside. Additional eastern states have received reports of feral hogs. But it is the state of North Carolina, which has one of the largest wild pig epidemics in the East. This state’s main concern is the transmission of exotic parasites from the wild pigs to other animals as well as to humans. These parasites can have a dangerous effect on a human’s immune system and their health can be compromised.

Southern United States
Approximately half of the feral hog population lives in the southern United States. Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi and Oklahoma exhibit a feral hog problem. The worse affected southern state is Texas, where roughly 2 million feral hogs roam. In 2007, "The Telegraph" reported that the wild pig problem is so devastating, tens of thousands of hunters come to Texas to trap and kill the feral hogs.
"So no shortages of bacon in Texas."

Come get all these wild hogs in Tx😀🐷

And take a couple hundred doves while you're at it. You know how I know when it's dove season? When I have to knock them out of the way just to walk to my car.

The fall mourning dove population in Texas has been estimated at 50 million birds, roughly 10 percent of the total continental population. . . . . Texas is the number one dove hunting state in the nation; each year more than 400,000 Texas hunters of all ages bag 5 to 7 million mourning doves (Fig. 3). Although most hunters prefer 20 or 12 gauge shotguns with light shot for taking these fast and erratic flyers, longbows and arrows and falconry are also permitted for taking doves. The majority of t h e dove hunting activity in Texas occurs within the first two to three weeks of the dove season. Texas dove hunters average four days of dove hunting per season with an average seasonal bag of 15-20 mourning doves. Nationwide, approximately eight shots are expended for each mourning dove bagged.
Mourning Doves in Texas Life History, Habitat Needs, and Management Suggestions

FYI wild hogs do NOT taste like domestic pigs raised on commercial feed. Some people like the taste, I don't much care for it.
I've heard that too. It's not nearly as good as bovine wild game. Never had it so I can't really say. Something else I've been told by guys who go down to OK and TX to hunt them, is that they tend to have a lot of parasites...

We hit the store the other day, and limit tags were on just about every item in the store, I have never seen such craziness. Most items were limit 4, quite a few were limit 2.

Milk jumped by .50 cent per gallon.

Get piglets 10-20lbs, gut them, scape most of the hair off them, burn the rest of the hair off them (carefully, with a propane torch not over burning the skin), score the skin with a sharp knife in approximately 1-2" diamond pattern. Drop baby in the turkey fryer for about the time per pound as a turkey. Amazing crispy skin bites and fall off the bone meat. Learned that from some Cajun guys years ago who were working a a nearby ranch.

FYI wild hogs do NOT taste like domestic pigs raised on commercial feed. Some people like the taste, I don't much care for it.
I at least used to (been a long time) like the wild better. Grocery store pork seems flavorless. We are getting a locally raised (but domestic) hog the end of the month - hoping it's yummy.

Yes, has wild taste, it can be covered, but the hogs are not fat & the meat is tough.

At Wally World today...

Cheese was spotty but available.
Some sandwich meat was out, but others were well stocked. Oscar Mayer products were noticeably low.
Yellow corn tortilla chips were non existent. White corn chips were everywhere.
Coffee was overflowing.
Milk was normal.
Some of the Soda pop was pretty scarce.
Frozen foods were hit and miss.
Meat was kind of picked over, but you could pretty much get what you want.
Box meals like Hamburger Helper we're really picked over.
Canned meat, beans, and soups were well stocked.

The ammo cabinet was empty except for shotgun slugs and one lonely box of 30-'06.

There was lots of beer...😁

Was just at our local paint shop - the main fella shares similar views as Hubby and me. There were sooo many holes! He said they haven't been able to get anything in and have been trying to color match their own paints so that the painters can use different products and keep the jobs moving. He said 3 times as much work. Also said every paycheck is going towards canned goods and supplies. He was fuming. He's a nice guy, just trying to make a living by working.

At Wally World today...

Cheese was spotty but available.
Some sandwich meat was out, but others were well stocked. Oscar Mayer products were noticeably low.
Yellow corn tortilla chips were non existent. White corn chips were everywhere.
Coffee was overflowing.
Milk was normal.
Some of the Soda pop was pretty scarce.
Frozen foods were hit and miss.
Meat was kind of picked over, but you could pretty much get what you want.
Box meals like Hamburger Helper we're really picked over.
Canned meat, beans, and soups were well stocked.

The ammo cabinet was empty except for shotgun slugs and one lonely box of 30-'06.

There was lots of beer...😁
I don't shop at your Walmart so there was a lot of beer, yep, that simple🤔😃

The Kroger store was interesting today. I was there mostly for the 49 cent pasta sale, and I got alot, but all that was left was macaroni. Four big shelves cleared out of all the other types. Weird. Canned beans were 59 cents, and I got some kidney and garbanzo. Other kinds were cleared out, no pinto at all. Tuna was stocked and a decent price. I always get a few cans of canned roast beef and a can or two of the Hormel dried beef in the glass jar, and my jaw dropped...the entire shelf was empty. Was looking in the mexican food aisle for canned taco meat or pouched meat, but nada (nothing). Husband gave up after the 3rd riding scooter ran out of juice on him. Waited in the truck. No turkeys there, but it's pretty early.

I wouldn't normally notice about the turkeys since they don't usually start showing up until after Halloween except that they're pushing all the stuff that goes with the turkey. The same store that still has all the pumpkin and cranberry sauce on sale now has the turkey stuffing and turkey gravy on sale. It sure is making me think that when the turkeys finally do show up, I'd better get what I want right away because they might not last long. Maybe it's all my imagination.

Oh, yeah, pinto beans - the regular dried pinto beans - are getting scarce. How does that even happen? They're out of 8 pound bags so I have to have that shipped to me and there are only two 20 pound bags in the store. I don't know how they're stocked on the 1 pound bags because who buys only 1 pound of pinto beans?

Sams in Kansas had the 8lb pintos, and restocked a few 25 lb of the rice. The two weeks prior had no rice. If you have a Sams Card, they can ship some of the stuff for you with out shipping costs. Look on the website. Wonder if Walmart has the bigger bags? They have free shipping to your doorstep if you order enough, I think over $35

Wife has saw last couple weeks shelving being spread out more to make things look fuller. Shelves mostly stocked but not deep. And certain brands are out totally, others in good shape for same product.
I talked to the owner of our local grocery yesterday, complimented her on being able to keep the shelves stocked. She said some things are getting hard to get, but she substitutes when able to. We're at the extreme end of virtually all supply lines so our expectations are not too high. Except for one old guy who can't get his canned spinach. She can't understand why anyone would want canned spinach.

Today was a shopping day, I was able to get everything on my list in just 2 stops. I noticed that candy has taken over many of "regular" food shelves at both stores, who is going to eat that much junk? I also noticed a lot of canned green beans @ 50 cents each... they had meat, but ground beef was $6/pound, got a package of Italian sausage $15. The stores were fairly well stocked, I noticed that both had an abundance of Coffee (but I don't drink it). 2 things that have been short are Pomegranate Juice and canned Red Grapefruit, one store had 6 jars and the other had a flat of cans (had is the key word in both cases). Both stores had a couple of refrigerator shelving units that were completely empty, shelves removed.... but the units next to them were not overly-stocked either so I don't know how to read that messaging.....

Went to a semi-local salvage grocery yesterday. I go for #10 cans of pinto, kidney beans that I put in dog food when I can it. One big can of pinto beans in the whole store! However I did buy them out of frozen cauliflower rice, about 13 packages.

I talked to the owner of our local grocery yesterday, complimented her on being able to keep the shelves stocked. She said some things are getting hard to get, but she substitutes when able to. We're at the extreme end of virtually all supply lines so our expectations are not too high. Except for one old guy who can't get his canned spinach. She can't understand why anyone would want canned spinach.

My old guy likes canned spinach, too. I'll cook with it but don't get the attraction of it plain.

Do not like a vegetable?
Go twenty four hours without eating solid food or sugar drinks, then try it.
I like fresh picked spinach or mustard greens, but I can eat can greens, of course, collards are best.

Last edited:
My old guy likes canned spinach, too. I'll cook with it but don't get the attraction of it plain.
My mom fed us kids thousands of cans of spinach. If you didn't eat it, no dessert! :oops:
Some of my brothers ate it holding their nose.
She would say: "You've got to have your iron!" and remind us of the Popeye cartoons we had watched.
I still love it today😛. Salt, pepper and butter is all it needs.

Went to a semi-local salvage grocery yesterday. I go for #10 cans of pinto, kidney beans that I put in dog food when I can it. One big can of pinto beans in the whole store! However I did buy them out of frozen cauliflower rice, about 13 packages.

I'll eat raw spinach any day of the week. I prefer it to lettuce for a salad. But canned spinach? I'm not sure I wouldn't rather starve than eat that stuff....

Latest posts

Back