What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been researching sheds and planning to make my own litterbox sifter that doesn't cost $50.
It's been a while since you posted this (I just now saw it), but if you haven't gotten your sifter made yet you might want to look into things that are made to separate brass from cleaning media (used in reloading shooting cartridges). I have the one below and it fits on top of one of those orange 5 gallon Home Depot buckets. Works great for separating brass. Might work for cat litter too (that would depend on how fine the cat litter is vs. the holes in the sifter).

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Quick-N-EZ-Separator-Reloading/dp/B004J4F09O

One of the pictures at the Amazon link above makes it look much deeper than it actually is (the other pictures are more accurate though). The sides are maybe 5" (?) high and the straining area is about one foot in diameter.

$8.49 as of now (Amazon prices can change on a heartbeat though!) Then you also have to buy the Home Depot bucket if you don't have something like that already.

[edit]
This image from an Amazon review of the sifter gives you a good idea of the size, and of the size of the sifting holes - it is placed next to everyday items that you can use as a reference to imagine the size. It's heavy duty plastic. You can shake the snot out of it and it should last a long time.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71JLRQTHAeL.jpg
[/edit]

[edit_2]
I guess if you REALLY want to know the size of the holes, this picture should tell you. You can find a picture of anything on the internet! Now you can go measure your cat's turds to see if they'll fall through (doubtful, unless your cat is very sick). The review said that .22 shell cases will fall through the holes but 9mm cases will not. So now you have a size reference for something you probably have in your pocket (I normally find these things randomly in my pockets - I assume everybody does!)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61h2+st3SSL.jpg
[/edit_2]

Last edited:
Tired, again.. I had to sharpen my saw this morning to cut up some of the bigger limbs in the yard that were still connected to the big log. Got all but a couple on the burn pile below the pole barn. Only worked a couple hours this morning and again this afternoon but I’m sore tonight, did a bit more than I should have. Still have to trim a couple broken limbs in the tree that got damaged by the one that fell.

Now I have a new project.. have to get the corral and bull pen in shape and then get the pole barn ready for a bull. Been thinking all summer about raising another beef calf, even mentioned it to friends. Well, got a call from them today and we made a deal. They have a 4month old registered angus that needs a new pasture for the winter. I have 45acres of grass now. But I’ll feed the calf til spring, when he’s close to 1000lbs then we’ll slaughter him and split the beef.

So, I’ll have beef on the hoof in about a week. I called my cousin this evening about buying a roll of the hay he cut in my field, there’s probably 30 rolls out there now. After I laid out the details he didn’t want money. He’s bringing a dozen or so un-bred heifers over here in a few weeks. There’s more hay out there than they’ll eat all winter anyway.

The bull has already been banded so I don’t have to worry with that. Plus my cousin knows I’ll be watching his heifers closer now that I have skin in the game… or beef of my own. So, a win for everyone. I’m excited to have livestock again even if it’s just one.

Oh, my cousin has a grapple boom for his big tractor. He’ll pick up the big log and set it out of the yard so the lawn doesn’t get anymore damage. Then I’ll skid it to a burn pile. I think everyone that wanted firewood got all they needed. The yard is almost looking decent again so this job is about over. Already miss that tree though... shame.

20240920_173419a.jpg
20240920_173549a.jpg

Last edited:
I blew up the lawnmower this week. It’s a Cub, maybe 5 years, had oil, didn’t seize, threw a rod 😠. Not happy about that one. Will try selling it for parts. Hubby wants a zero turn which is funny because he’s mowed maybe twice in the past 4 years. I’m grumpy so not spending thousands on Chinese 💩 right now. Will take the little push mower to get serviced and use it until I figure something out.
Pup is nuts. He found a dead opossum this morning and was so proud and rolled in it and tossed it and played with it. His new best friend. I let Hubby take care of that one 😉
Got new burner covers for the bbq so got that all cleaned up and took an sos to the outside even so it oughta grill better (it kept flaring up).
Otherwise laundry, made chz, and other normal stuff.

I blew up the lawnmower this week. It’s a Cub, maybe 5 years, had oil, didn’t seize, threw a rod 😠. Not happy about that one. Will try selling it for parts. Hubby wants a zero turn which is funny because he’s mowed maybe twice in the past 4 years. I’m grumpy so not spending thousands on Chinese 💩 right now. Will take the little push mower to get serviced and use it until I figure something out.
Pup is nuts. He found a dead opossum this morning and was so proud and rolled in it and tossed it and played with it. His new best friend. I let Hubby take care of that one 😉
Got new burner covers for the bbq so got that all cleaned up and took an sos to the outside even so it oughta grill better (it kept flaring up).
Otherwise laundry, made chz, and other normal stuff.

I read somewhere that Cub, Black & Decker, Troy Built, Yard Man, Yard Machine, Bolen, Farm King and like 10 other brands were all made by MTD in the same factory in China, they just change the colors and the name.

@LadyLocust Does it have a Briggs engine? I bought a new briggs engine from a company in Indiana a few years ago. Came in a box on the ups truck. I swapped out the engine on dads old mower. It's still running fine, easy swap, hooked right up. Seems it was around 5 or $600, a lot cheaper than a new mower.

Last edited:
@LadyLocust Does it have a Briggs engine? I bought a new briggs engine from a company in Indiana a few years ago. Came in a box on the ups truck. I swapped out the engine on dads old mower. It's still running fine, easy swap, hooked right up. Seems it was around 5 or $600, a lot cheaper than a new mower.
Not sure what kind of motor- will have to look. I’ve mostly been a little grumpy about it so got it to where I can get it on the trailer and there it sits. I’m not super mechanical and Hubby won’t have time (and doesn’t like mechanics) so not sure if that’s really a good option for us. We don’t have a large lawn here so I’m really not opposed to the push mower.

Wow! October is coming.
Our neighbor was hanging out early evening and wanted to be helpful. Patched the old greenhouse roof with hard plastic I had, really appreciated that. His wife started our mower, and did a bit, but we ended up getting rain. Might be a good day tomorrow to start our burn pile, it's getting pretty big. We'll see. Started a bit of construction clean up in the kitchen, but didn't get very far. There's always tomorrow

Got back at just after midnight after making a quick 1000 mile round trip to washington state (ot here in the west the distances get kinda big), We sold the small family property after my sister decided she couldn't take care of it any more. I made the trip to go get the old cider press that my dad bought in the midwest when he was doing antique sales. It was old then and now it is well over 100 years old and has been repaired and the wood parts rebuilt but will still turn out gallons of apple juice.
Now to scrounge up any and all apples in the area and get to squeezing....I also need to find someone who knows apple jack.

Does anybody else like Payday candy bars? I love them, and found a recipe that is supposed to be identical. I am going to give it a try today. If it turns out to be what they claim I will share it. Looks pretty easy, which is one of my criteria, and shouldn't take too long. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Does anybody else like Payday candy bars?
DH loves them. I've never tried to make them. Please let us know how they are!

Will walk in a few minutes and then walk dogs.
Pick up parking lot at Church.
Clean baths (at home) and dust house.
Shave DH's cheeks.

DH loves them. I've never tried to make them. Please let us know how they are!

Will walk in a few minutes and then walk dogs.
Pick up parking lot at Church.
Clean baths (at home) and dust house.
Shave DH's cheeks.

You will be first on the list. :)

Not sure what kind of motor- will have to look. I’ve mostly been a little grumpy about it so got it to where I can get it on the trailer and there it sits. I’m not super mechanical and Hubby won’t have time (and doesn’t like mechanics) so not sure if that’s really a good option for us. We don’t have a large lawn here so I’m really not opposed to the push mower.
lawn tractor engine often don't get oil changes as often as they should, especially in a damp climate. At least there is a little entertainment if the rod made a window.

Does anybody else like Payday candy bars? I love them, and found a recipe that is supposed to be identical. I am going to give it a try today. If it turns out to be what they claim I will share it. Looks pretty easy, which is one of my criteria, and shouldn't ake too long. Fingers crossed.
Husband loves them. I buy a few every time I walk into a Walmart. Would love a recipe.

Got up, got dressed, drove the pickup to the storage unit in the dark, found out the security people are quite serious - which I liked, unloaded the pickup and drove home. Decided I need a coffee / internet break before reloading. When you're the owner, foreman and the crew you can do whatever the hell you want.

Got back at just after midnight after making a quick 1000 mile round trip to washington state (ot here in the west the distances get kinda big), We sold the small family property after my sister decided she couldn't take care of it any more. I made the trip to go get the old cider press that my dad bought in the midwest when he was doing antique sales. It was old then and now it is well over 100 years old and has been repaired and the wood parts rebuilt but will still turn out gallons of apple juice.
Now to scrounge up any and all apples in the area and get to squeezing....I also need to find someone who knows apple jack.
Would love to see a picture 😊. Our cidering party is on the 6th this year. Our press is probably from the 70s though. I’d love one that’s a real oldie.

Does anybody else like Payday candy bars? I love them, and found a recipe that is supposed to be identical. I am going to give it a try today. If it turns out to be what they claim I will share it. Looks pretty easy, which is one of my criteria, and shouldn't ake too long. Fingers crossed.
Morgan101,
Will you post the recipe in recipes so I too can find it after while.
I am making up my Christmas candy lists, gathering my ingredients slowly.

Much needed coffee not quite Army strong but pretty dang close.
Cleaning the house, it needs a good cleaning.
Even though I had a willing 7 year old helper yesterday.
I think my house is in worse shape than before.
Dishes, cleaning off the table, cooking, laundry.
Someone on here had a Squash soup recipe and now I can't find it.
Can you repost in recipes so I can find it again.
Maybe Hooch or Snappy?

Morgan101,
Will you post the recipe in recipes so I too can find it after while.
I am making up my Christmas candy lists, gathering my ingredients slowly.

Sent you a PM. Hope you like them.

Latest posts

Back