What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We went to Costco today. An impulse "on sale now!" buy for me - I now have a new 32" computer monitor. I installed the thing and it is BIG. I had a 27" monitor before, and that's no miniature by any means, but this new one is giant. It's not just larger in size, it's higher resolution too - so more stuff fits on the screen. It's 2560x1440 resolution. They had a 4k 32" monitor sitting next to it (also on sale I believe) but I didn't want 4k (that's 3840x2160 resolution). Even though it was 32", that super high resolution makes normal text fonts too small to comfortably read. You don't notice this on the storeroom displays - since they're all just showing photos and movies, which indeed look fantastic at 4k. Great for a TV set, not so optimal for a computer screen. Sitting here in front of my monster monitor now, text on our forum at 32" 2560x1440 looks about the same size as it did at 27" 1920x1080. So I ended up having more screen real estate to play with, without making things smaller.

The one thing I'm undecided about is that the monitor is curved. I'm not sure if I like that. It does feel like it surrounds you. That's touted as a feature. But I think it's a bit on the creepy side. But I'll give it a few days to see if I adjust to it and the weird feeling goes away. I'm already starting to adjust after just a few hours.

Oh yeah, and I'll have to adjust the acceleration and speed of my trackball mouse. The higher resolution makes moving the mouse cursor long distances a two-step process. Used to be I could quickly spin the trackball and the cursor would go the entire length of the playing field. But now it takes two spins to get it all the way across the screen. This is a simple adjustment though.
I got a new 28" curved screen at work. I love it. The curved screen i think is easy on my eyes and neck. I do keep a 2nd 19" flat screen set up vertical, primarily for email and spreadsheets. Ill get a curved screen for the house at some point.

Peanut slow down a little. Sounds like you are getting excitied for the calf. Congrats

I talked to my Irishman at a decent time in my time zone.
Coffee is fresh brewed, enjoying a cup of that.
Laundry is sorted starting that just two loads thankfully.
Today is cooking day:
So prepping for that.
Got fresh vegetables to use up before they go bad.
Will be oven roasting root vegetables for some meals today.
Will be cutting up Butternut squash for soups and chips.
While the oven is on will making Sourdough hot rolls for supper tonight.
Will be assembling Alaska Salmon parchment paper camping meals for now and for the freezer later.
Filet of salmon, asparagus, sliced peppers in various colors and heat, seasoned to taste.
15 bean soup with ham bone is going in the crock pot now.
Typical Monday morning.
This afternoon, will be reading case file for work.
I think I will enjoy this job, especially the part that I work from home ,
I especially like the fact, no more extreme weather conditions to collect evidence for crime scenes.
Hopefully will get some Mah Jong time in to rest my brain.
Maybe some stitching time on Christmas presents too.
Have a wonderful day!

Last edited:
how do you make hot sauce? I would love a recipe, thanks:)
Here's how I make my secret world famous sweet smoked habanaro sauce;
1) 1-1/2 pound of smoked habanaro peppers. I smoke mine for about 8 hours
2) 1-1/2 cup white vinegar
3) 1 clove garlic chopped
4) 2 table spoons chopped cilantro
5) 1/2 tea spoon of sea salt
6) Honey and bourbon or rum to taste. I don't measure this.
7) 1 can of tomato sauce

1) Chop the peppers and place in food processor
2) Add remaining ingredients and process until well chopped and combined. At this point, for added heat, I add a handful of my special blend of dried peppers; ghost, scorpion, Carolina Reaper, etc
3) Add to a pot and bring to a quick boil
4) Reduce heat and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes
5) Remove from heat and cool
6) Return to food processor and blend again
It should be ready to bottle at this point. If it's too thick just add more vinegar, bourbon or rum to thin it out.
Note: It's probably best to wear a mask and gloves while making this sauce, and if possible do it outside.

I already did KP. The weather is dreadful. Wife is out playing Bridge with the girls. Seems like a great day to put a rear end in a recliner. Just me and the dog.

Or sit out on the porch with a nice stogie and enjoy the rain

Great idea!! I think I will do that. I can put a rear end in a lawn chair.

You have to use a healthy imagination to call our front porch a "porch". More aptly described as a landing.

The back porch is nice. About a 20' x 20' square that is covered. It is a great place to have a cup of coffee, smoke a cigar, watch the birds play in the fountain, and let the rest of the world go by.

It’s rainy here. Staying home for the most part and cleaning. There’s too much to list and too much to do. Can’t find any half cup measures. Having breakfast at lunch time, oatmeal with honey, spices and oat milk. Laundry. Vacuuming. So much to do.

I am bad sore, moving slow this morning. did more last week than in the last 2 months. Trying to get this week's plan straight in my head. Have to finish the double gate, weedeat the prilla in the bull pen and corral, get a tank of water from the creek. Trip to town for apples and a couple hundred pounds of sweet feed. My friends will bring the angus calf up this weekend, should be ready. Oh, garbage truck runs today... got to get on that.

edit to add... oil change for my truck... and I just bookmarked my post, a list I can't lose! 🤣
So have you been thinking of names ?🤔 (Beef ka) Bob, (Beef) Ravioli, Stroganoff etc 😇

Got up, watched the lady get ready, walk around with my shirt off to remind her what she was going to work for, drove to the compound and got back to loading, hauling, unloading, tossing, etc. I need to do some final packing tonight and haul another load or two tomorrow and then I will be finished, ready to take the final car load to the apartment where I will now be living.

1000001069.jpg
1000001070.jpg
1000001072.jpg

This is how my nap is going!!🙄

I should be getting ready for work but I'm mesmerized by how insanely beautiful these lime leaves are on my lime tree..
The sun almost is making the color glow..

Otherwise I need a nap because I got up too early but..I need to get to work.
Have a beautiful day..it is gorgeous here..

Attachments

• 20240923_141700.jpg
    20240923_141700.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Gave a needy young lady from church a ride to Walmart and a few other places. Made a lot of calls to my congressmen and senators about some like of Veteran Service Organization for women veterans only after talking with someone who is offering his business to women Veterans to get together talk. I've introduced a few of them together over the years and they were always thankful. NO ONE knows what's going through their minds except other women Veterans. I know this from Vietnam and it's time that attention be given to them. I also called the American Legion to see if they could do something. We'll see.
Now I'm going over to my brother's house for dinner.

Home from two doc appts for husband. Brought a lunch and ate it in the truck in between the appts...way too far to go home. Dave was working on two of the laundry room walls, and they're looking way better. He's adding trim tomorrow. We got back and followed him to his farm to go over his water well system with him. He's getting bad water readings at his dairy farm and has had three failed water tests. Husband gave him some ideas to try before he retests again. Fun to see his place, he's about 5 miles from us...a slow drive by tractor following him in the truck. Our neighbor says he's going to start our burn pile right now, so it's time to close up all the windows.

Woke up having charlie horse in both legs. Had to be careful not to disturb Rupert too much-- he sleeps curled up with me-- and managed to get them to stop. Got breakfast for Mom, took my brother to the bank so he could get a new debit card (old one was canceled due to fraudulent charges on it), picked up mail, and went to Walmart. Moving very slowly and am sore. Got some rotisserie chicken and tore the meat off. I need to use the old leftover chicken to make baby food like consistency for Rupert (anyone know how to do that? Do I just add water and blend it?)

Shoved a couple of the cats through the cat door (pushing them into the house) to show them how it worked.

Just saw the sad news about 12icemaker. :-(

Waiting to change Mom's canula as its due today.

Just took some naprosyn and am resting

I finally heard from my daughter today, just two short messages. My son talked to her yesterday and said that she's in pretty bad shape. I know I should head up right now to see her, but I've got a doctor appointment on Thursday that I've had to wait 3 months to get. Her husband is staying home with the kids so they're OK.

Latest posts

Back