What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a lot, just hung out around the house most of the day. Went out to eat tonight, celebrating our B-Days. Wife's was last Wed when I had my heart procedure, mine was today. Then back home and enjoying the evening
As my friend Bacpacker would say “Happy gettin born day” 🥳

Busy 2 days… Got fall maintenance finished on the tractor and bush hog. Then, too funny… last night I was shopping online for farm clothes while watching a rodeo was on the tv, there was a bronc rider from Idaho. It reminded me of an old room mate from 40 years ago. He was a student at the unv of alabama but was from Idaho. His family had a ranch supply store. He’d just started his senior year of college when his father passed away. He moved back to take over the family business about the same time I went in the military and we lost track of each other.

So last night I searched his last name, Idaho and clothing. I found my old friend!! He’s now a clinic director for the Community Counsel of Idaho. I emailed him and he responded today. It was great to hear from him even after 40yrs. Anyway, he’s still in touch with two more of our friends from back then. I see a reunion of sorts coming! He was a great guy! It’d be nice to see all 3 of those guys again. Though we’ll probably have trouble recognizing each other, old and grey haired now! 🤣

Then today my cousin came over and helped me get the big oak out of my yard. The one blown down by hurricane Francine. He was going to bring his big tractor but brought the small one instead. It was just strong enough to get the job done. Then I got on the front end loader with a chainsaw. He lifted me up and I trimmed a dozen tree branches that were hanging to low over the driveway, long over due.

Then he took the wood to his Fil’s house and left me the tractor for an hour or so. I cleaned up the big piles of brush from building the new fence last week. I like the grapple attachment, a very handy device! Glad those chores are over! A lot done in 2 days and good news!

View attachment 165155View attachment 165156
Very nice!

I enjoy your reports since can only dream of such fun. I lusted after a small tractor with a 3- point hitch PTO and loader while shopping for a lawn tractor. Sexy but I can't justify the cost over occasional rentals.

Thank you.

Ben

got up late, took care of animals now starting on lunch since it takes a while

it did freeze again last night , greenhouse seems to be working, my plants looks ok and I didn't even have the container filled with water.

Today after cooking and dishes, I am going to continue working on clearing out the room. We now have about a million cardboard boxes that need to be gotten rid of
You could lay them down on the floor of the greenhouse- flattened of course. Check out Charles Dowding onYT for more info 😁
Take another cat to the vet, UTI. The joy of Clavimox :eyeballs:
do you give them water from the faucet? Could it be from the change in water since moving? Or different catfood? 😕
Good news, I priced new zerk fittings. The bushhog manufacturer had 5 in a pkg for $12. Then better news, dad said he thought there was a pto shaft over at the old barn. Said it came off a fertilizer spreader that rusted out years ago.

I went and checked, it was there and it's zerk fittings were identical to the one I needed. It fits and will take grease. Got it soaking, gonna clean it up before installing it. :)
They are little buggers but sure are important.
Gave the wife a goodbye hug as she jets off to Tampa to spend 4 days with daughter.
I'm All Aloooone!! View attachment 165120 :cry:

(well, not including the 2 damcats.:rolleyes:)
You should have a 🍺 to temper your grief 😉

It always seemed to me like we should celebrate a birthday for the parents, not the baby itself - who had absolutely nothing to do with getting here in the first place.

But, since we don't do it that way, Happy Birthday @Backpacker!
My Mom always said that!!

It always seemed to me like we should celebrate a birthday for the parents, not the baby itself - who had absolutely nothing to do with getting here in the first place.

But, since we don't do it that way, Happy Birthday @Backpacker!
100% agree.

Ben

Last day of vacation. We visited the Mines of Spain State Recreation Area. The Horseshoe Bluff hike was short, but spectacular...
PXL_20241018_155924451.jpg

today I really need to finish the rearranging rooms project. Getting tired of the house being a mess. I think I have figured out where everything goes
I just need to spend less time cooking today to get the other stuff done
Husband is currently figuring out the layout of our new solar panels so I can order cables for it. I think we are going to have 2 completely seperate systems so if one fails we still have one. If we get all the freezers and fridges ( except the one in the kitchen) in one room it will be easy to hook up also and we will avoid having extension cords all over the house.
Son has finally started sending off applications. I hope he gets a job near here. We'll see.

Good question. We never wear shoes in the house so we just got in the habit of taking them off outside. Now we have a mat inside to put our shoes on.
We don't have a mudroom, so we have a boot mat on the porch. I wouldn't want to bring our muck boots inside. The pup takes off with one of them now and again, but he doesn't go very far. Mostly just pulls the pads out of the shoes and eats them. I have a couple of pairs with no pads.

Maybe start painting the new trim Dave the builder guy put on all the doorframes upstairs. And some kind of hook for the bedroom door keys. They're the old timey weird looking keys. And there's tomatoes to do...so many cherry tomatoes. I finished washing and sorting a ton yesterday, and little granddaughter picked two more buckets of them while she watered fruit trees. So, hoping I don't get sucked in to working stuff in the kitchen all day, I am hoping to paint trim.

We don't have a mudroom, so we have a boot mat on the porch. I wouldn't want to bring our muck boots inside. The pup takes off with one of them now and again, but he doesn't go very far. Mostly just pulls the pads out of the shoes and eats them. I have a couple of pairs with no pads.
We get very little mud around here so our shoes stay pretty clean, except when working the cattle in the corrals.
Our pup will occasionally relocate one of our shoes too, but they are easy to find.

Woke up, had a different kind of workout, got kicked out of the bedroom so the lady could take a nap, did some dishes, made some coffee, located a weird beeping that turned out to be a cordless phone angry that it was not on the receiver, looked outside at the gloomy weather, grabbed my computer, sat in the big chair, turned on some classic rock, checked my email, then arrived at the forum.

Well..
It's a chilly but beautiful day. I spent two weeks training the new guy. Nice dude, but I don't think he will stay at the mill. He isn't digging the machine, he's not real into the mill how it operates ..so I will be surprised if he stays.
Today I will walk the pups,
stack some firewood on the porch,
Do other chores n stuff..
Get the 5th box ready to send to the relief effort. The 5th box will go to the folks that are using the mule train to get stuff into the rural areas of NC.
I think I'll get a fire going later too!

Going out to start the smoker soon. Got about 2 pounds of habanaro peppers and some jalapenos to smoke. I'm getting low on hot sauce. The other day I sliced a roast to make jerky. I'll make a marinade today and let it soak over night. Also have some tractor work on the road and dump some gravel on the approach to our mail box. Then work on the chicken coop roof.

Back