What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No wonder they have so much plastic surgery going on there.
they are mostly covered in ugly tattoos, are young but very overweight, some of them have very strange hairdoes , and the guys are just absolutely not my type. I don't think plastic surgery would fix them

our friend;s son is married to a woman from Brazil and she is beautiful, so its just this tv show. Maybe they pick weird looking people intentionally to make it more entertaining

Tonight I watched part 3 of 'American Godfathers: Five Families' on the history channel. Enjoyable, very informative.

So... afterwards I pulled out the Soprano's box set. Haven't watched it in a couple years. Already spotted something in the first episode based on real mob history that I didn't catch previously.

No TV or cable fro over 20 years but watch Youtube movies and Netflix. I have my Wifi on cable to TV which I really like havign full screen for laptop.

I'm not much into violent but now and then watch true stories that do have violence in them.
I liked
Person Of Interest
Blue Bloods
Royal Pains
Highway Thru Hell; Canada wrecker service on the COG.
Jerocho

And we laughed like crazy watching the first 3 episodes of " Schitts Creek " ,after that ok but not as funny.
Thought you might like to know idw continued Jerrico as a comic book

Master and Commander.

I've been seeing several reviews of this movie, indicating that it was better than I'd originally estimated. And, I have to say, it was. Maybe not a great movie, but a very good one that I was happy to have taken the time to watch.

And, I have to say, I loved how it (apparently) accurately detailed the operation of the ship...such that is was a single entity, a merger of machine and many men, working toward a single goal. As a former military man, I enjoyed watching the "machine", or ship, or platoon, operate as it should.

I went down the rabbit hole last night with a Netflix TV series: Wyatt Earp and the Cowboy Wars. It is a period of our history that I really enjoy, and the whole Tombstone mystique is something I have embraced. Been there, done that, read all the books, got the T-Shirt and all the souvenirs, have an extensive library on the subject, met a lot of the authors that contributed.

It was done in semi-ducumentary fashion with Ed Harris as the narrator. The highlight as expected is the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, but this goes much deeper into the before and after, all of the characters, and the political climate at the time. The event was far more reaching than you would ever imagine. IMHO it was 99% historically accurate. I know the subject well, so I look for inaccuracies. If you are interested, I would highly recommend it.

@Peanut Dark Winds hasn't released a third season yet. I thought the second season was kind of short, but the last episode of it was interesting, and incredibly dark. I like how it shows us the thinking is a little bit different from a p.o.'ed Indian, and for those of you who haven't seen it, they do call themselves Indians. Sense of humor is fun too.
What is the race you're watching, @Peanut ?
My wife is watching it. I started but don't really have time, so I never finished episode 1.
I'm guessing she likes it then. People are surprised when they find out I like to watch crime shows, certainly not the worst of them, but yeah.
No, I don't like to watch young adults relationship shows. Sometimes I watch a love story but only as deep as Hallmark-types. LOL

Still watching the Soprano’s. The other night I was watching the credits after an episode and got curious about the actors. Started running internet searches on some of the names.

Learned a few interesting things… First, Lorraine Bracco, Tony’s psychiatrist, also played ‘Karen’, Henry Hill's wife in the Good Fella’s movie. Her real life sister, Elizabeth Bracco played Vito Spatafore’s wife Marie on the Soprano's.

Also, Steven Van Zandt who played Silvio Dante in the show was Bruce Springsteen’s guitar player. He is married to Maureen Santoro who also played his wife on the Soprano’s show, Gabriella Dante.

Last edited:
Empire of the Sun. I'd never seen it before. I really liked it

"Empire of the Sun is a 1987 American epic coming-of-age war film directed by Steven Spielberg and written by Tom Stoppard, based on J. G. Ballard's semi-autobiographical 1984 novel of the same name. The film tells the story of Jamie "Jim" Graham (Christian Bale), a young boy who goes from living with his wealthy British family in Shanghai to becoming a prisoner of war in an internment camp operated by the Japanese during World War II."

Last night I was watching a show called Engineering Disasters. There was a new bridge being built over the Rhein River separating Switzerland and Germany.

Both countries shared the cost of the new bridge and began building from each side. There was a problem... For construction projects Germany references sea level in the North Sea. Switzerland references the Mediterranean Sea.

There is a 10.5 inch difference in sea level in the North sea and the Mediterranean sea. Then engineers knew this but on the German side the engineers got the 10.5 inch difference backwards. So now there was a 21 inch difference between the starting point height of the bridge on the German side and the starting point on the Swiss side.

Oops!!! 🤣

They figured it out at the start of the project and a correction was made.
--------------

But I learned something I'd never heard before. The ocean is not flat, there are high and low spots all over the world. Doing some research this morning I learned sea level as measured on the east coast of the US is not the same as measured on the west coast. The pacific is higher.

For instance sea level of the pacific ocean on west end of the panama canal is 8 inches higher than at the atlantic ocean on the other end.

The reason the ocean isn’t flat has to do with river discharge, the wind, the moon and the way the ocean currents flow as a result.

------------------------------

https://www.ncesc.com/geographic-faq/why-are-there-two-different-sea-levels-in-panama-canal/

Why are there two different sea levels in Panama Canal?

The Panama Canal connects the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean, which are not at the same level. The Pacific Ocean lies slightly higher than the Atlantic Ocean. This difference in sea level requires ships to navigate through the canal and traverse the terrain of Panama, which has an elevation of up to 26 meters above sea level, in order to reach the other end of the canal.

What is the difference in sea level between the Atlantic and Pacific in Panama?

At the northern entrance to the Panama Canal, the mean sea level is approximately 275 cm, while on the Pacific side, it is estimated to be somewhat below 300 cm, around 295 cm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/sea-level/

Sea level is the base level for measuring elevation and depth on Earth.

Because the ocean is one continuous body of water, its surface tends to seek the same level throughout the world. However, winds, currents, river discharges, and variations in gravity and temperature prevent the sea surface from being truly level.

So the surface of the ocean can be used as a base for measuring elevations, the concept of "local mean sea level" has been developed. In the United States and its territories, local mean sea level is determined by taking hourly measurements of sea levels over a period of 19 years at various locations, and then averaging all of the measurements.

The 19-year period is called a Metonic cycle. It enables scientists to account for the long-term variations in the moon's orbit. It also averages out the effects of local weather and oceanographic conditions.

The difference in sea level between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans may be attributed to the difference in density and the geographical factors such as the latitude of the southern tips of America, Africa, and Australia, and the constriction of the west wind drift at Drake Strait.

Last edited:
Last night I was watching a show called Engineering Disasters. There was a new bridge being built over the Rhein River separating Switzerland and Germany.

Both countries shared the cost of the new bridge and began building from each side. There was a problem... For construction projects Germany references sea level in the North Sea. Switzerland references the Mediterranean Sea.

There is a 10.5 inch difference in sea level in the North sea and the Mediterranean sea. Then engineers knew this but on the German side the engineers got the 10.5 inch difference backwards. So now there was a 21 inch difference between the starting point height of the bridge on the German side and the starting point on the Swiss side.

Oops!!! 🤣

They figured it out at the start of the project and a correction was made.
--------------

But I learned something I'd never heard before. The ocean is not flat, there are high and low spots all over the world. Doing some research this morning I learned sea level as measured on the east coast of the US is not the same as measured on the west coast. The pacific is higher.

For instance sea level of the pacific ocean on west end of the panama canal is 8 inches higher than at the atlantic ocean on the other end.

The reason the ocean isn’t flat has to do with river discharge, the wind, the moon and the way the ocean flows as a result.

------------------------------

https://www.ncesc.com/geographic-faq/why-are-there-two-different-sea-levels-in-panama-canal/

Why are there two different sea levels in Panama Canal?

The Panama Canal connects the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean, which are not at the same level. The Pacific Ocean lies slightly higher than the Atlantic Ocean. This difference in sea level requires ships to navigate through the canal and traverse the terrain of Panama, which has an elevation of up to 26 meters above sea level, in order to reach the other end of the canal.

What is the difference in sea level between the Atlantic and Pacific in Panama?

At the northern entrance to the Panama Canal, the mean sea level is approximately 275 cm, while on the Pacific side, it is estimated to be somewhat below 300 cm, around 295 cm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/sea-level/

Sea level is the base level for measuring elevation and depth on Earth.

Because the ocean is one continuous body of water, its surface tends to seek the same level throughout the world. However, winds, currents, river discharges, and variations in gravity and temperature prevent the sea surface from being truly level.

So the surface of the ocean can be used as a base for measuring elevations, the concept of "local mean sea level" has been developed. In the United States and its territories, local mean sea level is determined by taking hourly measurements of sea levels over a period of 19 years at various locations, and then averaging all of the measurements.

The 19-year period is called a Metonic cycle. It enables scientists to account for the long-term variations in the moon's orbit. It also averages out the effects of local weather and oceanographic conditions.

The difference in sea level between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans may be attributed to the difference in density and the geographical factors such as the latitude of the southern tips of America, Africa, and Australia, and the constriction of the west wind drift at Drake Strait.
My adage goes...

Anyone can screw things up but a disaster requires an engineer.

Ben

Started watching "Sons of Liberty," on a ma zon. I love this time period but have never really given much thought as to why.
But this series...I enjoy watching hot young patriot dudes run around talking about money and freedom and rebellion against the king...Street fights, red coats, and the attitude of "I've had enough." Kinda wreaks of today. We think we know American history but I'm sure there is much more I could learn by reading and research, field trips.

Latest posts

Back