Where you live, who can declare a person deceased.....???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone who Finds the Body...!!!

The county medical examiner if it is a death at home, as well as a doctor or coroner, here in Texas. It may be different in other counties, I don't know. Not really something I would research ordinarily. That was my experience. Nurse wouldn't come out, said CME had to do it.
In Maryland, the hospice nurse declared it.

Some places EMT can, other places EMT can't.
That is what I found also, every state is different. Like, when you find a person has passed you don't just call the funeral home. And if the body is being donated to science, someone still has to come and dispatch it to some place. Every body has to be accounted for legally. that sounds like a joke.

State law requires the doctor who last attended the deceased person to complete the medical portion of the death certificate within 72 hours of death. The death certificate must then be filed with the state registrar of births and deaths within 72 hours of taking custody of the body and before disposing of the remains. After that I presume it becomes some kind of criminal investigation for unattended death.

The county medical examiner if it is a death at home, as well as a doctor or coroner, here in Texas. It may be different in other counties, I don't know. Not really something I would research ordinarily. That was my experience. Nurse wouldn't come out, said CME had to do it.
In Maryland, the hospice nurse declared it.
@Sourdough I also posted this which I don't think you saw, but maybe!

I think there is also a regulation on "closing" the body bag "TOTALLY" till someone with the required authority has declared the body deceased.

I notice in Anchorage, even when they find a body that is clearly dead, they take it to the hospital.

This subject is far more important they most appreciate. It can greatly affect the persons last will and testament. Even if the deaths are only a few minutes apart.

I notice in Anchorage, even when they find a body that is clearly dead, they take it to the hospital.
Sounds like a was of time and resources to me. But that's probably the law there. Laws are made by politicians. Who for the most part, don't appear to know much about things they make laws for. Which explains why you might be required to drag an obviously dead body to a hospital, wasting the time of everybody involved and potentially causing additional and unnecessary mental duress for the family. Common sense should rule. But it doesn't.

Well, I did one time. A dead guy was still breathing, sort of, and when I reached under to support his head, my fingers went into his brain up to my knuckles. You aren't coming back from a 7.62 head shot when your brains are laying in the dirt, so I let him be at peace. Wear your helments folks.

Well, I did one time. A dead guy was still breathing, sort of, and when I reached under to support his head, my fingers went into his brain up to my knuckles. You aren't coming back from a 7.62 head shot when your brains are laying in the dirt, so I let him be at peace. Wear your helments folks.
I am questioning who is qualified "Legally" to declare someone dead.

This subject is far more important they most appreciate. It can greatly affect the persons last will and testament. Even if the deaths are only a few minutes apart.
I think this is what he was driving at...
Consider a married couple both dying in a 'murder-suicide'.
If the wife dies first, then the husband next, the estate would be distributed according to the husband's will, the wife's will is meaningless.
Oh, on topic, down here until the coroner's office issues a 'death-certificate', the person is not 'legally dead'. :oops:
69467-f7cae161eb0c444f3d4dc8dea3908675.gif

Sounds like a was of time and resources to me. But that's probably the law there. Laws are made by politicians. Who for the most part, don't appear to know much about things they make laws for. Which explains why you might be required to drag an obviously dead body to a hospital, wasting the time of everybody involved and potentially causing additional and unnecessary mental duress for the family. Common sense should rule. But it doesn't.
There are "important" issues with chain of custody of a body.

If the wife dies first, then the husband next, the estate would be distributed according to the husband's will, the wife's will is meaningless.
Car crashes are the most common situation where time of death becomes important. for settling an estate.

There are "important" issues with chain of custody of a body.
What would be the "important issue" of taking, say, a decomposed body to a hospital? Chain of custody is one thing, but you don't need to add extra and unnecessary links to the chain. A decomposed body is "obviously deceased" and could go straight to the morgue without violating any logical chain of custody. I imagine this is what's actually done in practice, even in Anchorage. Many morgues (which handle dead bodies) are inside hospitals (which normally handle live bodies or questionable bodies). This may be why obviously dead bodies are "always taken to the hospital" (because that's where the morgue is - probably in the basement).

My grand ma had cancer and was obvisously not gonna make a recovery. Dr's sent her home at her wish to live out her days at home. She spent her last month mostly in a coma and on a morphine drip to ease her pain. When she passed the funeral home came and got the body. I'm not sure anyone else was involved.

Anyone can say he/she is dead, but legally only the county Coroner can.
And once you are dead in South Carolina, only your next of kin can make up your arrangements for burial.
Which is wife, then oldest child................

Back