World War Three

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is small part of my upcoming novel. Between sabatoge and incompetence, North Korea accidentally nukes Bejing when they were aiming at the US. Oops. And half the russian nukes detonate on launch. ;) Reality? I don't know, it's a novel. :)

It should be an interesting read.....

To add on the subject of nuclear war survivability, the following text was something I found on Quora....posted by a guy called "Matt P", who knows what he is talking about:

People seem to have this belief that nuclear weapons are instant extinction death cootie weapons. That their mere use in any quantity would result in making the planet a radioactive dead zone decorated by billions of bleached skeletons.

This is not the case and never has been.

Over 500 megatons of nuclear weapons were detonated in atmosphere during nuclear testing over a less than 20 year period. That yield is comparable to a major nuclear war of that period occurring. Setting aside the fact this was done in controlled conditions, enough fallout went into the atmosphere with the same effects.

We’re all still here.

Those weapon tests occurred in an era when large warheads were a thing because weapon accuracy was low. If you were trying to dig out the other side’s missile silos and hit their bomber bases, you needed big bangs to compensate for the fact the warhead might miss by a country mile.

Over time missile and delivery accuracy increased. As it did, you didn’t need big warheads to do the same job. And a smaller warhead was more efficient and lighter than a bigger one. So yields fell from a peak of 10 to 25 megatons to 150 kilotons to around a peak of 1.5 megatons with a typical deployment yield of 150 to 300 kilotons or so in most weapons.

Which means the explosions, while large, are still very localized. A few tens of square miles at most and the most devastating damage is concentrated in a small space of a square mile or two. Even if every nuclear weapon on the planet was used it would only be regional damage at worst and while devastating to a target nation, nothing on the level of extinction.

Most populated places on Earth would never know such a thing has happened even close to places that were affected. You can have one large city turned into ruins but have several medium or small ones 50 or 100 miles away ask “Did you hear something?” or “Did you see that bright flash?”.

Even at the peak of the Cold War when arsenals topped 100,000 warheads, there weren’t enough weapons, literally, to hit and destroy every city, town, village or hovel on the planet. Some places, honestly, just aren’t worth the effort and those places far outnumber the places that would have perceived value to a country. Billions of people would still survive, most untouched and unaffected.

The places that were hit would not become radioactive death zones for generations as been portrayed in movies, a common trope. For those that doubt that, tell me about the no-go zones around the radioactive wastelands of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

You can’t because they don’t exist. Both cities, despite having been flattened by nuclear weapons, are both thriving, safe cities today. The byproducts of a nuclear weapon detonation are short-lived. Within weeks for the most dangerous and a few months for the less so, the radioactivity levels of a struck location fall back to safe levels quickly.

Even an entire country like the United States, peppered with enemy warheads, would still be a going concern when it was over. Especially today as arsenal sizes limited by several treaties are much smaller than Cold War levels. There are not enough nuclear warheads to wipe a country off the face of Earth as an entity. Enough to hurt it, to be sure, but not enough to destroy it.

Nuclear weapons are little more than very large explosives. Enough to destroy cities, to be sure, but we’ve done that hundreds of times over with scores of conventional bombs and the total damage they did was far worse then the effects of all the nuclear weapons ever built.

We have nuclear weapons because they are more efficient than fleets of planes to deliver the same damage. A single missile can do to a region what would have required, and did require, dozens of modern bombers and hundreds to thousands of older bombers with conventional bombs. And without putting human crews in danger or requiring the massive, long term training and infrastructure required to support such a fleet.

As always, nuclear weapons are about national policy. They are statement to the world that when humans are feeling froggy towards their neighbours, there are lines not to be crossed. And if approached to let others know what lies on the other side of it. Basically, the message is “Keep it localized and conventional otherwise we’re really going to make it hurt.”. The result of that fact is no nuclear weapons possessing state has been invaded or invaded others since the end of World War 2. They serve as a deterrence against overt aggression.

This is why countries want them. They raise the stakes for their neighbours that might be considering it to think twice. The neighbourhood invader might succeed in the invasion but the price is going to be a lot higher. So the warheads serve as a form of modern gunboat diplomacy.

The reality is nuclear weapons never had the power people ascribed to them in the grand scheme. Certainly at the individual level. But getting vaporized by a warhead versus blown up by a few hundred pounds of conventional explosive is the same to those who get killed in the end.

Nuclear warheads never have been, and are not, able to destroy the planet much less a country. The planet has survived impacts that would make all of the nuclear warheads ever built in total little more than setting off some firecrackers on the pavement. And yet, the planet is still here and life still exists. In reality nuclear weapons are just a very efficient bomb, nothing more.
The other reason to believe that modern nuclear weapons may well be survivable for civilians in that area, is the advent of ground penetrating weapons around 20 or so years ago. Those are targeted at hardened military sites and penetrate deep into the ground before detonating. Consequently their yield can be/is very much reduced and they are quite selective about what they destroy.

Survivalists/preppers should really prepare for what comes after a nuclear exchange.....because most of us will be still around then.....and as for all other very severe crises, other (unprepared) people (who will be flipping out) will be the main threat.

It should be an interesting read.....

The other reason to believe that modern nuclear weapons may well be survivable for civilians in that area, is the advent of ground penetrating weapons around 20 or so years ago. Those are targeted at hardened military sites and penetrate deep into the ground before detonating. Consequently their yield can be/is very much reduced and they are quite selective about what they destroy.

Survivalists/preppers should really prepare for what comes after a nuclear exchange.....because most of us will be still around then.....and as for all other very severe crises, other (unprepared) people (who will be flipping out) will be the main threat.
I have been on the soapbox too much in the past about how the radioactive fallout is far more dangerous to citizens than the blast.
The blast may kill a few hundred thousand, but the deadly fallout will kill tens of millions.
Surviving the fallout is not really that hard... if you know it is out there.

Last edited:
I have been on the soapbox too much in the past about how the radioactive fallout is far more dangerous to citizens than the blast.
The blast may kill a few hundred thousand, but the deadly fallout will kill tens of millions.
Surviving the fallout is not really that hard... if you know it is out there.
100% correct. If you are not in the blast radius

This is small part of my upcoming novel. Between sabatoge and incompetence, North Korea accidentally nukes Bejing when they were aiming at the US. Oops. And half the russian nukes detonate on launch. ;) Reality? I don't know, it's a novel. :)
You've been watching some of my news feeds.
It is said that much of China and Russia's nukes won't even launch because one of the propellants they use has rendered to water over the years. I pray to any god that cares that is correct!

Everytime I care about the end of the world I just ask myself "And what does that mean? What's the point of that. So what?" Until I don't care about it. I used to get so upset and excited about it, so I have to keep myself from caring.

Wow a WW3 thread has been created hmmm dunno where to start :dunno: well given that Hamas has agreed to recent ceasefire proposal it all hinges on Israel coming to a similar agreement in Cairo so guess we can take Middle East out of the equation now the most likely chances will be

1. Old mate putin attempting invasion of a neighboring country who are NATO protected

2. The covid spreader/denying country that is China invading Taiwan ahead of schedule

3. Short fuse Kim of North Korea rips up the truce between his country and South Korea by firing missiles at them that land inside the demilitarized zone

"Moscow is estimated to possess 7,000 nuclear warheads compared to 6,550 in the US, according to the ArmsControl Association.

Daily Star Online can reveal which US states would be vapourised if World War Three were to break out.

The black dots show where nuclear hell would be concentrated if Russia were to launch a preemptive strike with 2,000 warheads.

The purple dots show the regions that would be struck if Putin were to rain 500 nukes on the US."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/world-war-3-russia-attack-16836164

• 21:05, 15 MAR 2018
  • Updated21:15, 15 MAR 2018

1718279161803.png

Yeah All The dust from Mt St Helens still has not all come back to earth for its final rest.

Nuclear fallout contamination is a different type of animal than a lot of people expect it to be.

The DOE is paying a lot of peoples medical bills from exposure that they never thought would be a victim of their exposure levels just like radiologist from years of being X-ray techs.

Any person arrogant enough and stupid enough to launch a Nuclear war is completely insane and should be sent into a fuel rod enclosure in a towel to check it out.

maybe, maybe not, I read that the blast zone is more confined in modern weapons.
its not the explosion that concerns me, its the "nuclear winter".
I agree with that . As for as my tribe's survival , the blast itself is of no concern . Of concern is where the radioactive particles in the cloud created by the blast should descend back to earth . The radiation cloud descent is like a game of Russian Roulette as it could stay airborne for days and perhaps weeks before atmospheric conditions let it settle back down on earth's surface . That however still is not my bigger concern . The apoplectics aftermath is my bigger concern as the temperatures depending on whom you get a prediction from , will drop making gardening a different than normal endeavor . Also there is the matter of dealing with the desperate families that failed to properly prepare . --- Something that I will throw out there for a response from our gardeners . Cloudy days means filtered light through clouds . How do you see this filtered light as good or bad in the realm of growing crops ?

We All Know that the "Death of Our Body" is inevitable and when the Death of this Body is Imminent, I will 🐝 heading to Me Backyard with All My Power...!!!

maybe, maybe not, I read that the blast zone is more confined in modern weapons.
its not the explosion that concerns me, its the "nuclear winter".
Cool for you, I'm 3 miles from ground zero, I'm toast. Hence my horizon-to-horizon prepping.
I'll be a well-fed pile of ash anyway.

I see post after post whereas someone decrees , I ain't got a chance because of my location . For those , I suppose remaining where they are at is more important than relocating to a survivable location . Not only did I relocate but quite my job and brought along my children and now grandchildren into the survivable circle .

This link is the best assessment of what we can expect , that I have ever seen .

The 'scenario people' and their maps, make my blood boil! :mad:
They assume that EVERY ICBM that Russia launches, will hit the USA.
They assume that we have no defense to shoot down inbound missiles. :(
Study up on what NORAD is, and what it does, and how long it has been in place.
It is what has kept a nuke war from happening up to today.
Remember Iran sending a barrage of missiles into Israel?
How many actually made it to their target? Less than 1%. :rolleyes:
Our 'Platinum Dome' is for more extensive than Israel's 'Iron Dome'.

How secret is it?
Even today, here is all they will only tell the 'scenario-mapmakers' 🤪:
As a publicity move on 24 December 1955, NORAD's predecessor, the Continental Air Defense Command (CONAD), informed the press that CONAD was tracking Santa Claus's sleigh, adding that "CONAD, Army, Navy and Marine Air Forces will continue to track and guard Santa and his sleigh on his trip to and from the U.S. against possible attack from those who do not believe in Christmas". A Christmas Eve tradition was born, known as the "NORAD Tracks Santa" program. Every year on Christmas Eve, "NORAD Tracks Santa" purports to track Santa Claus as he leaves the North Pole and delivers presents to children around the world. Today, NORAD relies on volunteers to make the program possible.
🤣

Last edited:
I keep hearing both Russia and China have such lousy maintenance that one of the components of their rocket fuel has aged to water.

HUH...Makes me want to find a copy of "Missile command" from Atari days.

Find a place to hide, for as long as hiding works. But also have what is necessary to become mobile if hiding is no longer prudent. The goal is avoiding conflict, especially shooting conflicts.

Russia has now made a proposal to Ukraine to end the conflict . This Russia calls " the final proposal " . Ukraine / N.A.T.O. rejected it . Instead N.A.T.O. promised to keep escalating the situation by supporting " the now " proxy war for 10 more years . The next negotiation judging by Russia's statement will supposedly be in the aftermath .-- Russia has either completed or are in the process of lock and loading their tactical nukes . Puttin is stocking his bunker with many years of food as trucks are now unloading more supplies in the bunker . -- Guys keep up with what is our reality today . Ignoring it and whistling past the grave yard isn't much of a prepper thing to do . -- Oh yea I almost forgot N.A.T.O. is " now " pulling F35 Nuclear launch capable aircraft into underground bunkers .

Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected Vladimir Putin's demands.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06...tin-offers-conditions-for-ceasefire/103982514

"The Russian president says he will only end the war in Ukraine if Kyiv agrees to drop its NATO membership ambitions and hand over four provinces Moscow claims as its own.

Kyiv rejected Vladimir's Putin's demands, set out on Friday, local time, as tantamount to surrender.

Mr Putin set out his demands for Ukraine's demilitarisation, unchanged from the day he sent in his troops on February 24, 2022, and said an end to Western sanctions must also be part of a peace deal.

He also repeated his call for Ukraine's "denazification", based on what Kyiv calls an slur against its leadership, given its democratically elected president is Jewish and lost relatives in the Holocaust."

House Passes Bill To Automatically Register Young Men for the Draft​

https://reason.com/2024/06/15/house-passes-bill-to-automatically-register-young-men-for-the-draft/

"The House passed a large defense bill Friday evening that included a provision that would automatically enroll young men between the ages of 18 and 26* for the Selective Service.

The House's version of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which would authorize $895 billion in military spending, passed by a vote of 217–199. It's unlikely to be picked up by the Democrat-controlled Senate because of numerous amendments regarding abortion, diversity efforts, and transgender medical treatments. The Selective Service provision, though, is part of an enduring bipartisan effort to keep the framework for military conscription in place, even though the draft ended in 1975.

Automatic registration would replace the coming-of-age tradition that all 18-year-old male U.S. citizens experience when they get a card in the mail from Uncle Sam informing them that they're required under threat of criminal penalties to register for the Selective Service." :waiting::waiting::waiting:

Latest posts

Back