You Know You're Getting Old When...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you remember ( PARTY LINES )
When I was little, we had a party line. Then we moved up in the world when I was in HS, we had our own line but were in such a rural area, we only had to dial the last 4 digits of the number. When I went off to school, I was making a call and thought the phone was down. I needed to dial the whole number.

When I was a young man and I over exerted myself I might have a few stiff muscles the next day. Like the day a couple of friends and I picked up, hauled and stacked 2100 bales of hay. Was a little sore after that.

Now if I over do it… it’s 2, 3, sometimes 4 days before I get the stiff muscles. By then I’ve forgotten what I did that might cause that. So I wake up sore and stiff with no idea why I feel that way. :oops:

Once I was leaving Atlanta where I'd worked on a catscan over night. I always stopped at a place in Marietta GA for lunch, all you can eat wings. Afterwards I get in my truck and start towards Nashville. Soon I had to unbutton my pants.

I get nearly to TN and stopped for a soda. I get out, take 3 steps toward the door when my pants fell to my knees. As a young man I'd have freaked. The much older me didn't care, pulled up my pants and kept going. With a half dozen people in the store staring at me. 🤣
When I was a young man and I over exerted myself I might have a few stiff muscles the next day. Like the day a couple of friends and I picked up, hauled and stacked 2100 bales of hay. Was a little sore after that.--------- If you did all those bales of hay every summer you must of had red under forearm skin that looked like chicken pocks had it every summer , ares were 2 string bales , no fancy equipment , tractors and hay wagons . If you think about it you did more than you said ,
Load each one on the wagon then unload then stack in the mow , so you handle each bale 3 times

When I was a young man and I over exerted myself I might have a few stiff muscles the next day. Like the day a couple of friends and I picked up, hauled and stacked 2100 bales of hay. Was a little sore after that.--------- If you did all those bales of hay every summer you must of had red under forearm skin that looked like chicken pocks had it every summer , ares were 2 string bales , no fancy equipment , tractors and hay wagons . If you think about it you did more than you said ,
Load each one on the wagon then unload then stack in the mow , so you handle each bale 3 times
We did that - but not that many.

so you handle each bale 3 times

One summer, I was the only one with a drivers license, 3 cousins and I contracted with farmers all summer. We'd pick up the hay bales in the field and stack them in the barn. I don't remember what we charged per bale... but looking back I'm sure it wasn't enough. We worked our butts off in the Alabama summer heat. A usual job was 300 - 400 bales, with 4 of us working we'd knock that out in a couple hours and have a few bucks in our pockets. It was better than working in a cotton field... I know, did that for family for free.

Last edited:
Anyone remember the show 'Laugh In'??

...Heh - what's This the 'punch line to':

.."...'Bout Half..." 😂

Don't care for his 'lifestyle choices', but.. That guy Was a riot.. 😂

You have seven pairs of reading glasses throughout your house, but you can’t find any of them..

Touché: ...When you need your Glasses.... to Find yer Glasses. o_O;)

jd

One summer, I was the only one with a drivers license, 3 cousins and I contracted with farmers all summer. We'd pick up the hay bales in the field and stack them in the barn. I don't remember what we charged per bale... but looking back I'm sure it wasn't enough. We worked our butts off in the Alabama summer heat. A usual job was 300 - 400 bales, with 4 of us working we'd knock that out in a couple hours and have a few bucks in our pockets. It was better than working in a cotton field... I know, did that for family for free.
For other farmers when I was a kid we got 2 cents a bale each

You know your old when in school you held your hand over your heart and said the pledge of allegiance
. "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

You know your old when in school you held your hand over your heart and said the pledge of allegiance
. "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

If you are older you said, "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation , indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Before that it was, "I pledge allegiance to my flag... and your arm was held out like a NAZI salute and not over your heart. That was stopped for obvious reasons around 1941-1942.

You are obviously not old enough... :)

i love this one from my 96 year old dad

1645240717435.png

Took two friends to lunch yesterday, ages 90 and 92! The rather feisty 90yr old "rated" every man that came through the door. Three younger guys came in, work boots, work clothes on. As they were walking to their table she blurts out, " wish there was room at our table for you hunks"😯! The 92 yr old told her to find someone her own age. So the 90yr old told her she didn't want some old man! We go out to lunch once a month and always have a lot of fun!!😃👍

Little old ladies can be so funny. My wife's grandmother let a huge fart in the grocery line. She looked right at the guy behind her and said what are you looking at? At my age I can't afford to wait for anything.

I'll know I'm old when I wake up dead. You're not old until you quit ageing.

...when you remember stuff Google doesn't know.

onomatopoeia tv show jody foster

Yields a lot of batman video but not the Saturday morning kids show starring Jodie Foster as a young girl.

Do any of you remember that show?

Or...

...when you remember things that never happened.

Ben

Ben

When you are young, and you drop something you bend over and pick it up. When you are old, and you drop something you look at it and think "How badly do I need that?"

When you are young, and you drop something you bend over and pick it up. When you are old, and you drop something you look at it and think "How badly do I need that?"
What truly sucks is when you wait until you have several things laying there to make the pain worth it!

I walked around Walmart instead of using the cripple cart, I did OK until I got in direct sun storing groceries and suddenly I felt like I was going to die! good thing I store perishables in a cooler. the canned crap is still out there!

Latest posts

Back