This going to sound strange, but it really is bugging me.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabin Fever

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We have a two-pane insulated sliding glass door in our living room. As the house cools down during the early evening, the door will make a single loud snapping sound. I assume this sound is from thermal expansion/contraction of the door. The sound happens only once a night.

Last night I was sitting in my living room chair in the dark. I was staring out the sliding glass door into the darkness. The door snapped and I saw a small flash of light at the exact same time. The flash of light was small, about the size of a playing card and it appeared in the center of one of the sliding glass doors. The light was dim. Again, both the light and snapping sound came at the exact same time. Weird. Do you suppose that thermal contraction/expansion of argon-filled, double pane glass creates some kind of static electricity that can cause a flash of light?

Interesting. No idea, but if there’s gas in there between the panes something’s going on. Noises I’ve heard at the sliding door and the kitchen window close by on the same wall eventually resulted in broken glass as the wood foundation settled. Double pane glass out of Canada here. Hmm.

our bedroom window has cracked ( double glass) on the inside panel when it got really cold outside, like below zero a few years ago. Nothing broke it , the only thing I can figure it was the cold and then us having the space heater on and heating it up. Maybe the temp change was too large too fast

These doors are 20 years old and no cracks. We have the same sliding glass door in the bedroom...no cracks.
Here's a photo of the sliding glass door....
1713797724909.png

Again, both the light and snapping sound came at the exact same time. Weird. Do you suppose that thermal contraction/expansion of argon-filled, double pane glass creates some kind of static electricity that can cause a flash of light?

Now that is bizarre, the kind of puzzle i like! Did you mark the outside temp. I'd record in/out temps then set up a camera to record the doors. It happens in the evening right? With the shift from day to night temps? If you know the approximate temp range when it occurs capturing it on video should be easy.

You might see something in video that can be slowed. Lots of frame by frame video editors are free for download.

Maybe an alien knocking? 😁 👽

Last edited:
Our front window does the same thing.
It make one loud pop when there is a temperature change.
My guess on the flash of light is it was a reflection that you saw.
Was there a light on anywhere?
When it popped the glass moved and you picked up a reflection from somewhere.
That's a possibility. There was a light on in the back bedroom.

An interesting theory- are there any other things nearby to account for the charge? A flash from the creaking popping from the framing itself seems like a stretch- do you have any other sources of static like curtains or something nearby- any loose wiring or something? Do you wear glasses and/or perhaps could have reflected light from somewhere else when you looked?

I would guess that the flash was due to a reflection and the movement of the glass due to the contraction or expansion change, but if you have the stuff to do it, follow Peanut's plan, that sounds like an interesting adventure

An interesting theory- are there any other things nearby to account for the charge? A flash from the creaking popping from the framing itself seems like a stretch- do you have any other sources of static like curtains or something nearby- any loose wiring or something? Do you wear glasses and/or perhaps could have reflected light from somewhere else when you looked?
Not really. We live in the middle of the forest, so there are no light sources outside. And, not a curtain, drape, blind, shade, etc. in the entire house. And, to have the popping sound and flash of light at the exact same instant is what is weird to me.

Was the cracking noise loud enough to startle you, to cause you to blink your eyes? Sometimes a blink may be mistaken as a flash. A more generalized flash - your flash sounded small and localized per your description though. I would put my money on the crack being associated with a small amount of movement, but enough movement to jiggle the glass a little and cause a reflected light to momentarily get redirected straight at your eyeball.

Well, it could be some type of discharge like when your socks and a wool carpet charge you, seems the discharge is more violent in colder times just a you supercool a electromagnet to increase the strength dramatically.

What material are the wipers on the door made of.

You may have a gap that bridges from the door being charged if the wipers are a wool compound or an inductive material and the rollers are nonconductive like plastic.

You can test that theory by loosening the screw at the rear of the door and putting a grounding strap of small 22 ga stranded wire from it to the track and see if the noise goes away.

If it is from pane to pane something else is going on.

...Do you suppose that thermal contraction/expansion of argon-filled, double pane glass creates some kind of static electricity that can cause a flash of light?

:)

So, here's my theory: We know that Argon gas is Quite capable of producing Light when 'excited', either by electricity (ie: in neon-tubes / lights, and Lasers, etc) or even 'compression', ie: https://jackson.engr.tamu.edu/wp-co...021/06/2006-Davis-DetSymp-precursorIDS119.pdf 🤔

..But the Question, here is: Is there some sort of 'resonant shockwave' produced, that achieves sufficient 'velocity', internal to your (basically) 'pressure chamber', there, between the sealed glass panes.. to achieve something like that? That.. would be Surprising, but.. It's 'plausible', IMO.

First, obviously, that 'chamber' needs to be Quite air-tight (to keep the Argon in / air Out, etc) so, there's bound to be a decent amount of 'standing pressure', within that 'capsule'...

..And, if the space between the glass-panes get expanded during the day (from heat), then - apparently, rather 'violently' - snap back into the 'zero position', it seems plausible that a 'compression wave' could be formed within, that - perhaps due to the shape / size of the chamber - ends up 'amplifying' the pressure-wave - to the point the Argon is sufficiently compressed / heated - to actually 'tickle a Plasma-flash'? 🤔

..I'd venture, it's not beyond the realm of possibility. I mean - look at how you can Ignite material (ie: char-cloth / paper, etc) within a pocket-sized 'fire piston', so.. Perhaps, it might be possible to produce something like the above phenomenon, given the Volume of this 'chamber', factoring in potentially-amplifying 'resonance'.

Otherwise, to test and see if it's somehow a 'Static charge' being generated, from the pressure-wave from the 'snap', there, either Order one of these little 'Neon testers', ie: www.amazon.com/ULTECHNOVO-Portable-Handheld-Universal-Detector/dp/B083173G41/ (or, https://www.ebay.com/itm/116119571437 if ya don't like 'supporting Amazon', etc ;) - Or - If ya know someone / someone who Knows-someone, who works in a Sign shop (where they do Neon) perhaps you can simply Borrow one, for the test...

Point being: One of those 'testers' should be More than adequate to 'tickle the Argon' to produce plasma-glow (that's what they're 'For', for neon-tubes / fluorescents, etc) IF, in fact, this phenomenon is an 'electrically-based' stimulation. (and, PS - Be Careful with those testers, they're (basically) a low-grade 'stun gun' - They'll give ya a Good 'handshake' o_O ;)

..But, if the Tester does Not produce any 'glow' within that 'capsule', well.. Perhaps the 'compression theory' might be more the direction of 'what's going on'.

EIther way - I echo what Spock said. :cool:

jd

I see @SoJer maybe there could even be crossing waves if the contraction was from all four sides at once their meeting point collision would possibly trigger an electric release of the stored energy that results from the change in density and the molecular compression.

Great theory!!!!

A stored to kinetic Physics experiment within a sliding glass door.

Cabin Fever has some tests to run!!!!

:)

So, here's my theory: We know that Argon gas is Quite capable of producing Light when 'excited', either by electricity (ie: in neon-tubes / lights, and Lasers, etc) or even 'compression', ie: https://jackson.engr.tamu.edu/wp-co...021/06/2006-Davis-DetSymp-precursorIDS119.pdf 🤔

..But the Question, here is: Is there some sort of 'resonant shockwave' produced, that achieves sufficient 'velocity', internal to your (basically) 'pressure chamber', there, between the sealed glass panes.. to achieve something like that? That.. would be Surprising, but.. It's 'plausible', IMO.

First, obviously, that 'chamber' needs to be Quite air-tight (to keep the Argon in / air Out, etc) so, there's bound to be a decent amount of 'standing pressure', within that 'capsule'...

..And, if the space between the glass-panes get expanded during the day (from heat), then - apparently, rather 'violently' - snap back into the 'zero position', it seems plausible that a 'compression wave' could be formed within, that - perhaps due to the shape / size of the chamber - ends up 'amplifying' the pressure-wave - to the point the Argon is sufficiently compressed / heated - to actually 'tickle a Plasma-flash'? 🤔

..I'd venture, it's not beyond the realm of possibility. I mean - look at how you can Ignite material (ie: char-cloth / paper, etc) within a pocket-sized 'fire piston', so.. Perhaps, it might be possible to produce something like the above phenomenon, given the Volume of this 'chamber', factoring in potentially-amplifying 'resonance'.

Otherwise, to test and see if it's somehow a 'Static charge' being generated, from the pressure-wave from the 'snap', there, either Order one of these little 'Neon testers', ie: www.amazon.com/ULTECHNOVO-Portable-Handheld-Universal-Detector/dp/B083173G41/ (or, https://www.ebay.com/itm/116119571437 if ya don't like 'supporting Amazon', etc ;) - Or - If ya know someone / someone who Knows-someone, who works in a Sign shop (where they do Neon) perhaps you can simply Borrow one, for the test...

Point being: One of those 'testers' should be More than adequate to 'tickle the Argon' to produce plasma-glow (that's what they're 'For', for neon-tubes / fluorescents, etc) IF, in fact, this phenomenon is an 'electrically-based' stimulation. (and, PS - Be Careful with those testers, they're (basically) a low-grade 'stun gun' - They'll give ya a Good 'handshake' o_O ;)

..But, if the Tester does Not produce any 'glow' within that 'capsule', well.. Perhaps the 'compression theory' might be more the direction of 'what's going on'.

EIther way - I echo what Spock said. :cool:

jd

Yeah, what he said!

...maybe there could even be crossing waves if the contraction was from all four sides at once...

Indeed, and CF choosing "playing card" to characterize the 'flash' supports that idea - a playing card would (roughly) 'echo' the shape of a typical sliding-glass window-pane profile [ ] so... 🤔 'Things that make ya go Hmmm..' ;)

Yeah, what he said!

Hah! Well, seriously - If ya ever get a chance to borrow one of those Neon-testers (or just drop the bux on one - They're useful for Other projects, also, ie: Testing fluorescent tubes (withOut having to plug them in :cool: ) even LED-bulbs.. Could also be used As a 'low-grade stun-gun', if ever needed, etc) - I'd definitely be keen to see if ya could, indeed, 'tickle' the Argon-molecules to pop some photons 'on purpose'. :)

In fact - IF that did work - In Theory, you might even be able to use a neon-sign transformer (also easily avail online) to get the Entire Pane 'capsule' to Glow - like a giant Neon screen. :eek: That would be a 'delicate endeavor', given that it's - primarily - an Entryway, but... A 'glowing-pane sliding door' could end up being a really cool-lookin 'conversation piece' if that worked. :cool:

Yeah, I'm a Nerd, what can I say. 🤓

jd

We have a two-pane insulated sliding glass door in our living room. As the house cools down during the early evening, the door will make a single loud snapping sound. I assume this sound is from thermal expansion/contraction of the door. The sound happens only once a night.

Last night I was sitting in my living room chair in the dark. I was staring out the sliding glass door into the darkness. The door snapped and I saw a small flash of light at the exact same time. The flash of light was small, about the size of a playing card and it appeared in the center of one of the sliding glass doors. The light was dim. Again, both the light and snapping sound came at the exact same time. Weird. Do you suppose that thermal contraction/expansion of argon-filled, double pane glass creates some kind of static electricity that can cause a flash of light?
Are you a drinkin' person?

I think static builds up between the frame and door all winter with the contracting and warming, and when it stabilizes and pops, you get an arc like a carpet shock.

Can you go outside and look for any small white marks on the glass in the area where you saw the "flash"?
You would know better than I but when I hear a bang and see a flash, it's actually a bird (in my case, a Cardinal) that sees it's reflection in the glass and attacks the window, only to then quickly disappear thinking it lost the fight.

A possibility, have you ever struck two white stones together in the dark? They light up due to electricity being generated, quartz can do this among many other things, years ago when I was studying for my novice license I had plug in quartz crystals that are sliced at specific thicknesses to control the transmitting frequency. There are many different crystals that will generate electricity, one type was used in conjunction with record player needles, anyway, considering that tempered glass is used in windows and doors for safety reasons, my question is does tempering cause glass to be like quartz and generate electricity, like when something pops in the sliding door? It's been so many years ago that I had radio and electronics as a hobby that I have forgotten most of what I knew, but it could be possible to have light generated from a pop or heavy strike. I just had another thought, have any of you looked in a mirror in the dark while breaking Life Saver Wintergreen mints in your teeth? they do light up. I don't know if Wintermint Life Savers are around anymore.

Not if it has a non conductive seal.

Yeah, but If such a 'charge' was sufficiently strong enough, so-as to be capable of Making such a 'flash'.. Then I'd bet the (relatively) thin glass would Not be sufficient enough of an 'insulator', in this case, and it Would, indeed, 'pass thru' / to You / Ground. (think of like those 'plasma ball lamps', where if you put yer Hand on them - and then a Small fluo-tube in the other - It'll Light up. :cool: )

Point being: Wouldn't Need to go to a 'conductive frame' to discharge, etc..

jd

Latest posts

Back